Your Personal Tone

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Same for me, except for when it sloshes over into “cringey Marshall.”

My ideal is somewhere between early Ace Frehley, “Electric”-era Billy Duffy, Steve Jones, and Thin Lizzy. Les Pauls and Marshalls and not much between them.

lol, cringy marshall. 😆

I tend to dial in something along these lines... maybe it's a bit more overdriven than just 'crunchy' but that depends on the song and my volume knob.

Jackroadkill

Tele-Holic
Tele with Barekuckle Piledriver pickup and a set of .12's through a roaring fuzz pedal (MXR Sub Machine, Zander American Geek or FuzzDog Sunny T Extreme) into a wound-up Orange Rockerverb mk2. The tone is big, fat and hairy, just like the driver.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
"Texas Electric Blues Tone"

If you really need to know how to get it, there are many authoritative sources.

What little extra I add is done to fit the music. Slap echo, chorus, reverb (preferably in-built), and Paisley Drive (in place of the ubiquitous "TS") only where appropriate. I do use a single FET preamp (usually the EP) as an input buffer.

'65 CS Strat, AY grey bottoms, Fender XL 'balanced tension' 9s (9-40). I believe the strings may be discontinued from Fender, not sure what I will do when I run out.

I can plug straight into my modded CBS Champ and get a tone I like so the pedals are not key to equation.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Quietly picking my electric guitar unplugged in the bedroom unable to tell whether my bends are very or only slightly out of tune ... Again.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
Back in the day, a Strat straight into a Super Reverb. Some reverb on there.
Not QUITE so far back, a Les Paul Special w/P-90's into an Ampeg VT-40. Some reverb.

tone goals - Steve Cropper "Hip Hug Her" Also Buddy Guy in a melodious mood. Robben Ford playing an Epiphone 335-type in a guitar store some random afternoon on YT.

These days, strictly around the house, flatpicking a vintage nylon-string classical guitar with a fairly heavy pick, like a Primetone triangular one, sometimes keeping the pick parallel to the strings when picking near the bridge ...

... then (inspired by Sierra Hull) going for the lush sound you get holding the pick at angle to the strings and moving up to pick over the highest frets.

edit to add: and a lot of right hand fingers. and fingernail-staccato.

Last edited:

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
How would you describe your personal tone? Whose tone is it similar to? How do you get it? What amp, settings, strings, pickups, pedals etc. do you use to achieve this? Thanks!
I don't think there really is such a thing but when I play live I use a Tele and/or a Les Paul through a 1972 Deluxe Reverb. Volume is between 2.5 and 4 I use a MojoMojo overdrive these days after 20 years of Tubescreamer.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Hm- my tone consists mostly of taking what the guitar has to offer, which comes across as more personal than it probably should.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

but that whole TNT album was my vibe for several years! I heard the first few bars of this album and instantly thought it could have been a B-side to TNT

Still can't figure out what @loopfinding linked to. Either an AC/DC album or a Norwegian metal band, it would seem?

But, I'm digging that All News is Good News album - thanks.

I just took it to be asking what noise I'm dialing up when I play.

Yeah, probably. But people do seem to think they have 'their personal tone,' and try as I might to not let the idea grate, it remains a trigger, along with 'tone fingers.' Perhaps we need to start using tone trigger warnings? Like 'TW//tone words' ;)

Pax/
Dean

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I dunno, I just try to get it close enough and practice.

1652966397787.png

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
For me, this is tough... because it depends on the day. Somedays I'm in a "hollowbody bluesy jazzy" kind of mood, and I'll plug my Gretsch into my Swart AST. Other days I'm in a "rocking thick bridge bucker" mood and I'll plug my PRS DGT into my Bad Cat Hot Cat. Somedays I'm in a "clean and pretty" mod so I'll plug my tele (or strat) into my PRRI.

In general, I like my "cleans" to have a little breakup on them, and my "rock" tone to be quite thick, Like David Grissom.

While it's true alot of "tone" comes from the player, there's no substituting great gear either. Over the years, the better my gear got, the better my tone got. For example, I recently got my DGT... and from the 1st chord it was my #2 guitar. It's perfect. It plays easy, the neck fits my hand perfectly, it sounds great.... one of the rare times I have gotten a new guitar and not thought "gee, I might have to change xyz to get it perfect for me"... I wouldn't change a stripe on it's flame maple finish. That's what you get when you step up your gear game.

All my guitars and amps are great, so it's easy to get a "good tone' out of all of them.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
One? One tone? Nooooooo.
For me it’s about using what the guitar and amp (and pedal/s) put out.
I may be able to do that one specific thing that guitar x does thru amp y, but so what? I’m not re-painting the Mona Lisa, I’m moving paint around on a living canvas of air.
I’ve had as much fun playing a cheap LP copy thru a seriously crap reel to reel’s internal tube amp as I have playing a vintage Fender/Gibson/Gretsch thru a legacy amp like Hiwatt /Marshall/AC30/Super Reverb…

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Still searching, actually...

I like a lot of super-clean and my ASAT Special seems to have a naturally compressed character. I got a couple funk guitar books and have been trying to focus on that. In retrospect quite a bit of my original stuff has that clean funky rhythm.

But I also go in for some crunchy stuff and sustainy lead stuff.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi.

Still can't figure out what @loopfinding linked to. Either an AC/DC album or a Norwegian metal band, it would seem?

But, I'm digging that All News is Good News album - thanks.

Yeah, probably. But people do seem to think they have 'their personal tone,' and try as I might to not let the idea grate, it remains a trigger, along with 'tone fingers.' Perhaps we need to start using tone trigger warnings? Like 'TW//tone words' ;)

Pax/
Dean

Oh it was the record TNT by tortoise. Jeff Parker on guitar and Doug McCombs on bass vi.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
I used to be a guitar, amp, amp reverb, overdrive and that was it. Now that I have GAS it's more complicated :lol:.

I like a vocal quality to the guitar, with some warmth and bite but not too much. I use a little bit of overdrive when needed but lately on my gigs I have been using a clean tone the majority of the time with maybe a little bit of compression, delay and some other added tonal/modulation effects when needed.

Getting "good tone" is a never-ending battle depending on the type of place you are playing and how the room sounds.