Your Personal Tone

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Humbuckers into a JCM 800, always with reverb, usually with delay, too.

Set up for a relatively dark sound, but a JCM 800 always retains some bite and cuts through.

Who do I sound like? I don’t know, take an 80s guitar hero and then mix it with My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, etc.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
A bit of grit but mostly clean with sustain. The goal probably being SRV tone; deep , "throaty"
Strat with hot pickups>Mid boost on board but very low at 1-2> TS9DX on Turbo>Blackface Deluxe or Pro for outdoors.

I am trying to change it up a bit though as the SRV tone has always been difficult to get at lower volumes. While woman tone is easier with the right pedal and makes playing at lower volume easier.

Jerry_Mountains

Tele-Holic
ES335 or Tele into a cranked AC15, from very loud and soaring to cleanish with the help of the volume knob of the guitars. I sound bright, articulate, raw and a little compressed.

I wanna think that my tone its similar to Mary Jane's Last Dance or the tone of the Foo Fighters' album There Is Nothing Left To Loose.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
tele or gretsch straight into two small, cathode biased amps turned all the way up: a 5e3 and a 18 watt. To get really nuts, there's sometimes a naga viper in front.

for a reference, check out tad kubler from the hold steady, but with more bite and less gain due to not using PAFs.

for acoustic: pick a dread. Martin D-18 or Gibson AJ.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
ES335 or Tele into a cranked AC15, from very loud and soaring to cleanish with the help of the volume knob of the guitars. I sound bright, articulate, raw and a little compressed.

I wanna think that my tone its similar to Mary Jane's Last Dance or the tone of the Foo Fighters' album There Is Nothing Left To Loose.
this is such a good tone. do you throw a treble boost in front?

fleezinator

Tele-Meister
any personality perceived in my 'tone' is instantly marred by my affinity for dive bombs, sweep picking and brutal palm muting. On the clean channel lol.

Seriously, I have a Helix thru which I happily play a few different patches so I'm the last person qualified as to what my 'personal' tone is. It's so subjective and I feel others could listen and would be better able to ascertain words to describe it. At the end of the day, it's whatever the song calls for.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know how to describe my sound as it relates to another player’s sound; it’s a mishmash. I play a Squier Bullet Special with a single bridge humbucker and usually favor a pretty bright, lightly compressed cleanish sound. I seem to be able to get in that ballpark through most things I plug into, leading me to think that the sound I go for is nothing special or exotic. For better or for worse, I think someone listening to me play would be hearing my ham clamps more than my gear.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Smooth and thick with very long sustain. Virtually always using a low setting of an on board tube driven spring reverb, a delay / echo pedal and a wah wah rocked to a selection of positions for lead passages. It probably originated from my love of early Santana guitar work. Later inspirations that have found their way in would be David Gilmour, Eric Johnson and the higher gain lead tone of Guthrie Govan. I also consider an EL-84 based tube amp to be a necessity. My sound through other tube types tends to sound too thick, yet, the thickness is required for the type of sustain I prefer. EL-84s add a chimey top end, more string definition and harmonics without detracting from my original tonal goals so they fit my sound the best. Alnico PAF or Alnico Strat pickup equipped guitars are also main components to getting my tone. Ceramic pickups just won't work for my sound requirements. I keep a vintage style Tele for those songs that require twang but I can't say that twang has anything to do with my personal tone. The same goes for crunch. I keep instruments to play it but it's not part of my own style or tone.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I play at church (praise and worship). I’ll describe what I do with my Player Tele through a Helix LT.

I’m usually either doing swells or lead work. I’m usually using an AC30 or Matchless model on the Helix. Very chimey and cuts through the mix. Swells are neck pickup or middle position (Area T in the neck and Chopper T bridge) and lead stuff usually on the bridge.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Whatever a Tele through a Princeton Reverb & Music Master Bass Amp in stereo and a Red llama for fuzzy OD, or a LP though a cleanish Plexi with FB2 for a little extra, and a Klon set at 1:00 sound like. Always reverb, often delay or Tremolo. I use the volume and tone control on my Tele and PR/MMB a lot. I usually have the LP volume set at N-8 B-9, then use a volume pedal. I think you could safely say I sound a little clean, a little mean.

Unfortunately my shoddy playing mars whatever "good tone" my gear might conjure.

Last edited: