your personal advice to avoid a bad hangover?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Please, do not take Tylenol. It is hard on your liver without the alcohol.

braveheart and Deeve like this.
  2. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Same. And I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that was my first thought when I read the OPs post. Personally downing 2 bottles of wine in a night is going to come with consequences. If those consequences are undesirable, the answer is to drink less alcohol.

Asmith, Kevin Wolfe, basher and 2 others like this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

:)...aaaaahm,you mean (1.) in the morning?o_O
    I would already VOMITE after the first two points ...and damn 3. would give me the rest,especially red bull...:confused::cry:

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

As a veteran drunk, with many friends that are veteran drunks, I can safely say that until someone recognizes they have a problem, there is nothing anyone else can do or say to help.

braveheart and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Used to be a professional winemaker, former alcoholic too. At the end of my drinking I'd polish off two or three bottles of wine and about 10 shots of Jack Daniels in an evening out in my music studio. I'd start out being productive for an hour or two and then I'd end up on the floor having the spins.

The reason some people get headaches from red wine is they contain histamines; usually they either affect you or they don't. It's not something that happens to everyone, and is supposed to be limited to a pretty low percentage of the population. Don't assume red wines will give you headaches. Just an FYI.

My first response is to drink tons of water to prevent dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic. It's removing water from your body. You need to replenish that.

Second response is that I haven't had a hangover in over 14 years - that's when I stopped drinking. Don't miss hangovers a bit. I used to puke a lot too; now I can't remember the last time I puked. I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. You might too at some point.

braveheart likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you going to embrace the world as a drunk, hit it! Don't sober up, you'll never have a a
    If you going to embrace the world as a drunk, hit it! Don't sober up, you'll never have a hangover. If you wake up and you're feeling bad, go ahead and throw up, then grab a bottle of jack and take a good pull on it, have a cup of coffee, then start drinking again. You didn't say what SIZE the bottles were, I used to drink wine from the Pisante winery on the coast that came in gallon jugs, if you drank two of them, I'm pretty sure even if you were Superman you'd have a hangover. You have to be pretty tough to be a drunk, I finally gave up on it twenty two years ago, and haven't had a hangover since.

braveheart likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

1. Never drink on an empty stomach
    2. Never drink when dehydrated
    3. Never drink cheap stuff
    4. Pour over ice so you still get some water throughout the night
    5. Pay cash for the drinks, never a tab....encourages responsible drinking at modern prices

braveheart likes this.
  8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

How about changing rule #3 to 19:00?

braveheart likes this.
  9. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm sure this has already been said, but 2 standard bottles of wine would typically be considered to be a total of 8-10 glasses (at 6 ounces per.) So having upwards of 10 drinks in a night, I think most people would consider a hangover to be unavoidable. Don't know what your weight is, but me being a "welterweight", I'd be officially barfing at upwards of 10 drinks. Try alternating each drink with a seltzer or something non-sugar, working your way down to one bottle a night and getting some water hydration in the process. Alternatively, plan on just a couple drinks, or ditch the alcohol altogether, and have a toke of medical pot here and there. You could probably justify the acquisition of a medical card by telling them you are prone to hangovers. :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    braveheart likes this.
  10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Back when I drank...Alka-Seltzer Cold Formula before bed.
    Bad mood...depressed...alcohol is a CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSANT.
    That's not going to change.

Deeve likes this.
  11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

You'll get used to the hangovers after a few years .

12. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

So these are the rules that typically work for me:
    1. top shelf only - if you're drinking for the purpose of getting drunk, you might need to reevaluate your motives
    2. no added sugar - this again is usually remedied by following rule #1.
    3. no mixed drinks. ever.
    4. you have to be careful with alcohol that you mix in one evening - i.e. bourbon as a cocktail before dinner, followed by good red wine with dinner, and then finishing that nice bottle of scotch you have with your buddy, usually is ok, but martinis for cocktails, followed by red wine for dinner and then grappa or port afterwards = bad combo :p

I also find if I drink to early in the day I will end up with a headache. However, when I drink I rarely end up with a hangover. Then again, I don't drink like I'm invincible either.

braveheart likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jeeves would not approve.

14. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

I send the footman instead. :)

McDonalds is closed at the moment.
    The amound of cardboard and paper ****e spoiling our grass verges and quiet country lanes has decreased dramatically.

When this is over they should start printing customer's names and addressess on the packaging. If the customers throw the packaging away they should be made to eat it, live on television.

They could always just use less packaging, but where would be the fun in that?

Jackroadkill and ndcaster like this.
  15. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

Theres a little tablet called Blowfish that's supposed to be a hangover cure. It's like if alka-seltzer and Tylenol had a baby I guess it works. And water, water, water.

braveheart likes this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I found a solution that works for me, on a day-at-a-time basis.

Spoiler alert: it involves church basements and bad coffee.
    No; I'm not doing any promotion, but if you're done w/ hangovers and interested in another approach, hit me w/ a pm and we can discuss privately.

Peace - Deeve

matmosphere likes this.
  17. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

UV light

hemingway likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

None of the OP made any sense to me. I never cut my whiskey with water, or anything else. I liked the taste of whiskey why foul it up with additives. I can't imagine drinking ANY kind of wine and adding ANYTHING to it. Water is for washing your feet, wine is for drinking!

nobis17 and Nickfl like this.
  19. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Two bottles of wine in an evening? For one person?

I find half a bottle enough... And I might get a migraine just staying up too long anyway...:(

20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

I couldn't do that more than once a week...6 days..I don't drink any alcohol.The hangover is not really bad. Just tiredness and a little depressed for a few hours.

After lunch my recovery is at 70%...and when the dark yellow oily urin stream comes out in the afternoon,my trusty liver has done a good job.

I never drink more than those 2 bottles of dry white wine...so far,far away from your drinking habits

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.