Your pedal board --> Only current Boss pedals, what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

A big reason why a lot of touring guys choose to go with something like all Boss stuff is that if anything goes missing or stops working it can be replaced at any Guitar Center the next day. That and at least as far as Boss goes, they're built like tanks. I've had the same Boss SD-1 I bought used 15 years ago on my board since I got it and it shows no signs of slowing down. I remember watching the Lucero Rig Rundown and that was the basic theory behind the entire setup. "We make our living on the road, and if anything we have goes out we can get a new one tomorrow."

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Danny Gatton used a DD-3. That's it. Good enough for him...good enough for me.
    My ex-fiance bought me a DD-3 for Christmas 1987. Still sounding good today. She's been long gone, however.

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

man....there is a song in there somewhere....

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

You have a Roland Bee Baa or something cool like a Roland Funny Cat?

Besides the CE-1, DC-2 and VB-2, I don't regularly use many Boss pedals. They are well designed and executed: I just roll better with Maxon pedals.

One of the early Octaver OC-2 pedals does about a 1/3 of what my Mu-Tron Octave Divider does-I could use it in a pinch.

Does Boss make a real ring modulator that is close to my beloved Moog MF-102 Ring Modulator? I don't think so.

The early Hyperfuzz or HM-2 would be workable for some of my fuzz pedals, but would rather have a Foxx Tone Machine or Super Fuzz(Hyper Fuzz subs for the latter)..

Don't like their compressors-not one of them would outdo my Origin Effects Slide Rig..The CS-1 has some aspects I like(super squishy, but that's it). The CS-3 would be the one, but I will pass.

I sold my TU-2 after I got a Korg Pitch Black. The Waza Craft version would suffice, but the Korg tuners are better from my experience.

The Boss wah pedals are basically horrific. I use a Foxx Fuzz wah-they don't have one of those. A Roland Double Beat AD-50 would for sure work. Great fuzz in that pedal with a decent wah. Roland birthed Boss. They still one Boss, so I will be using the AD-50. Hey Boss get back to your fuzz heritage and make some good fuzz pedals. They designed the Ace Tone FM-2 Fuzz Master-that pedal rules. Bee Baa is one of the greatest fuzz pedals ever.

A Roland 201 Space Echo isn't as cool sounding as the EP-2 that is always in my chain: it would do for my tape echo stuff though I would prefer a Copicat or a Multivox copy of the Roland Space Echo. I would be more likely to use the DM-2w though.

The Blues Driver would work for some of my overdrive needs.

I am also not to into the Boss buffer. The Waza Craft buffer is great though. That VB-2w version of the VB-2 is simply killer sounding-especially the buffer. The CE-2w doesn't sound too much like a CE-2, but its CE-1 part is really well executed. It actually approximates about 75% of a real CE-1. The DC-2w does cooler chorus, so I will use that one.

My oddball set up with some pedals not subbed for:

Roland AD-50>OC-2>BD-2>GE-7>VB-2w>DM-2w>DC-2w

I might put a Spectrum or Slow Gear into the mix for the hell of it. I have never played with a DF-2 or the Harmonist or whatever that pitch shifter is called. Those might be intriguing. They also made a filter, the FT-2, that sounds great in demos. That would sub for some of the filter effects I use with a Subdecay Prometheus. They only made it for a couple of years. It's supposedly really great sounding.

Boss please feel free to make a wah pedal that doesn't feel like a toy. Maybe something more like this:

AD-50.jpg

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Could see getting one of the Gt100 just for the effects for those times I just wanna mess around.

Currently have a CE2W and Boss Dm2w along with MXR and Maxon stuff current production.

But these Gt100 even though the 1000 is out are still great and very useful.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd be lost, at first. Before my current collection of pedals though, I didn't have things like valve boosts and overdrives and a real sproingy-spring reverb, yet I managed. With a Boss tuner, fuzz, boost, overdrive, delay and spring-a-like, I'd manage. I doubt anyone but myself would notice anyway. On time and in tune with added funk is all anyone cares about. Tonal nuance is for the player.
    It's the wah I'd miss most.

I'd probably go for a multi-fx like the ME-70

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Boss TU-3 tuner
    Boss OD-3
    Boss SD-1
    Boss DD7 - Boss FS5U tap tempo switch
    Boss RV-6

these can do pretty much everything I’m doing.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would switch to acoustic if all I could use were BOSS pedals. Nothing against BOSS, there is just better stuff out there across the entire product spectrum. Vince Gill could make music with 6 strands of barbed wire stretched between 2 posts, and sounds great without any pedals at all. OP has chosen a great role model as a player, and will learn much trying to emulate Mr. Gill.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would be more than happy with the following

BOSS WAZA TU-3W TUNER
    BOSS PH-3 PHASER
    BOSS PW-3 WAH
    BOSS DS-2 DIST0RTION
    BOSS WAZA SD-1W OVERDRIVE
    BOSS GE-7 EQ
    BOSS WAZA CE-2W CHORUS
    BOSS WAZA VB-2W VIBRATO
    BOSS TR-2 TREMOLO
    BOSS WAZA DM-2W ANALOG DELAY
    BOSS DD-8 DELAY

Boss makes AMAZING pedals that last a lifetime and SOUND KILLER exactly where it matters: ON STAGE and IN A RECORDING.

Grateful Ape and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Boss should get 5 stars for their work with both analog and, especially, digital delay pedals. They were the driving force right from the start of production of digital delay pedal designs. In the past I've used many of their delays along with their compressor, chorus and a couple of overdrives. In a pinch I could still use a couple of their delays with very good results. Oh. I had a TU-2 Tuner as the first pedal in my chain for better than 15 years. I retired it to the pedal shelves 2 years ago while still in working condition. I could go back to using it tomorrow if need be.

11. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Joe Walsh likes his Boss pedals. I could manage with a dd3 and the 0d1. They sound good and last forever. My strymon stuff does sound better though. Heck i had a smallstone and a muff thru the seventies and survived just fine.

12. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I have slowly replaced my botique pedals with my old boss pedals- and a couple new ones. I dont need a distortion as I play amps that can distort better than a pedal. I use the wazacraft tuner-a ds1 that I pulled the chips so its a boost-RT-20 rotary- DC-2 Dimension c-analog delay and FRV-1 fender reverb, I guess I should have said I us a boss LS-2 line selector with these in a loop and the other line straight through. The difference in the noise floor even when all effects are off and loop is on vs the straight signal is reason enough to never be without the LS-2. 95% of the time I do not use effects- so it makes the biggest difference.

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Most of mine are boss anyway, all I'd have to do is swap out my reverb and a tubescreamer for a rv and an od3 or similar.
    Boss make great pedals. Mine would be
    TU 2
    BD2
    OD3
    GE7
    FRV1
    DD3
    RC20XL

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    GibbyTwin likes this.
  14. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I have a TU-2 and a DD-3 currently on a board, but the board is retired and waiting to be rewired...I've also gigged and recorded a BD-2, an SD-1, and a TR-2 - I like the boss pedals a bunch. The only thing that I'm currently using isn't a boss, but it makes me happy and I'm not dragging a board around. One amp, one stomp box, and one guitar...easy.

15. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

My man. EHX stuff is great and priced very well. Mike knows what's up.

16. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry... never mind :oops:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

OD-3, CH1, DD2, done.

18. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Easy:

BOSS Tuner-BOSS Flanger-BOSS DS1 Distortion-BOSS Delay-Clean Tube Amp...

I do gigs all the time with this set up except I've been using A Rat instead of DS1 and sometimes a cheap Joyo Flanger.

You only need 1 dirt pedal 1 modulating effect and 1 delay. The rest is dynamics and volume control. Honestly some of these boutique boards with 20+ pedals ...do people really use those or are they just showcases for pedals ..I wonder sometimes.

19. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I have the OD-3. And I drive a Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone) which sounds pretty good. Do you think I'm missing out by not having a SD-1 stacked with the OD-3?

20. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.