1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your opinion on the '65 Twin Reverb reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tesla005, Oct 26, 2019.

1. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

Many say that the reissue doesn't sound as good as the original version. Is this caused by the new stock speakers, the output transformers or the smaller electronic components (tubes, capacitors, resistors etc)? It's surely one combination of these that the amp doesn't sound as "original". However, what many vintage lovers say is that the PCBs used in the reissues have an impact on the sound compared to the old turret board connection technique. And I really can't see how on earth is that possible. Both the PCB and the turret board consist of a mounting material and conductors that connect the components and hold them in place. Why would the conductors in the PCB be inferior in comparison to those of the old turret boards? Is it really worth the price and risk of buying an abused 50 year old amplifier?

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

The 50 year old amp has the original transformers, speakers and other components that you speak of, and that may be important to you.

PCB construction can be good or bad, just like point-to-point. If jacks and sockets are mounted on the chassis instead of the PC board, the board itself has little to do with it being 'bad'.

A new one might get you a warranty, for awhile. You might have an old set of speakers to try in it as well. New or old, they can be maintained until long after your great grand kids have past. Compare that to a digital unit.

One more thing about the older units, they are out of favor right now so the prices are right for the taking. New or old, get it serviced properly and it should serve you well.

dalezjc likes this.
  3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

The 65 Twin-Reverb RI are very good amps ! ;)

The speaker they use are the Jensen C12K (one of the best Jensen ceramic today 100W / 100dB)

I notice 2 drawback about the 65RI o_O :

1 - the do not have master volume, so they are rather designed to play loud (and they are LOUD) otherwise you will have a poor signal to noise ratio if you play at bedroom volume. The so much disregarded Silverface had this master volume...

2 - in many of them, the tremolo circuit optocoupler is replaced by a separate little PC board of solid-state device providing the effect, but in much more noisy, and with questionable depth. Fortunately, the room and placement for the vintage optocoupler is still present on the main PCB, so the return to vintage operation of the trem is possible.

Other than this, they are fine amps, indeed ! :)

-tbln

GuitarGeorge likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The '65 reissue has doesn't have a master volume because Twin Reverbs didn't get master volumes until the mid- '70s. The early 85 watt version was non- master, the later 100 watt version got a master.

Besides, master volumes are for (fuzzy little kitty cats).

:D :D :D

Pretty sure the European version gets the trem board. I'll have to look when these things start breaking. I don't get to look inside them unless they don't work.

The 900 pound gorilla in the room:

Fender built enough original Twin Reverbs to cover the planet. A used '70s Twin Reverb costs the same as a used TRRI in the U.S.. If I was shopping for a Twin Reverb I'd walk right past the reissue and go for the earliest original Twin Reverb I could find.

Early silverface Twins are the biggest bargain in vintage amps especially if you go by weight.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Twice as much amp as a vintage Princeton Reverb for half the price.

Matt G, jman72, pugnax and 4 others like this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The '65 Twin Reverb Reissue is the one purchase that I wish I could do over. It was the quintessential P.O.S. The absolute worst amp I've ever owned.

And I once owned a Roland Cube (not the Blues Cube), so I've a fairly good idea of what bad is.

The '65 TRRI was horrible. It was shrill without character. The two years I tried to bond with it were a complete waste. It was heavy and loud and it had no soul.

My experience with it has forever jaded my opinion on Fender printed circuitry and russian/chinese components. Or perhaps just opened my eyes.

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have two early SFTR amps. One is a '70 and the other is a '71. These two are perhaps the best Fender tube amps I have ever owned for tone, power and reliability. The 70 is loaded wtih a pair of C-Rex's and the '71 is loaded with a pair of vintage Altec 417-8H speakers. Heavy? Sure, but well worth every pound and watt. These are easy to maintain and will definitely outlive me. Two of my sons can't wait to get their hands on them someday. Smart boys.

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my neighbor has an original twin from 1964 and it does not have to be turned up to get a fine, excellent tone. that is one of the best sounding amps I've plugged into. the volume was at about 3. Glorious sounding amp!

8. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I would get a 70s Silverface Twin or a Tone Master Twin Reverb

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Confirmation bias* is strong in this thread. People hear with their eyes and their expectations. Simple. Test
    blind and they’re both great amps.

For real players in the real world who need what a TRRI does they sound and work great.

*The word “bias” was not an accident. If yours was cold and shrill, it wasn’t biased right. Bias it right and it will be no more different from any vintage Twin than that vintage Twin is from others of its vintage.

Matt G and codamedia like this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

'picked up a 1968 TR about a year ago, with one speaker damaged (torn cone). I decided to replace rather than rebuild, so I picked up a pair of 100 watt Jensen Stealth Tornado neodymium and installed them- great sounding speakers, but the nicest thing about them is that they weigh less than 5lb each, saving about 12lb on the total weight of the amp. It's not in the Tone Master weight range, but a Twin Reverb that weighs in at less than 60lb is a giant step in that direction. Total cost was $500 for the amp and another $150 for the Jensen neos, used, for a total of $650. LOVE that amp!

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I have never met a Fender Twin I didn't like, until I had to move it.

Andy B, stantheman and pugnax like this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

pugnax likes this.
  13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Vintage, Boutique, Point to point wiring it's all bs.

I own a original 1965 Super Reverb and a 1965 Bandmaster. They are REALLY cool vintage pieces and sound great.
    I briefly owned a Reissue Twin. I got rid of it because it was too heavy.

I take my Princeton reissue or Deluxe reissue to gigs and leave the vintage stuff at home.

My goal live is to make people have fun and dance. The drunks seem to careless vintage vs reissue.

teleon likes this.
  14. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Yep thats the truth. TGP say's your brain had a fart. But I agree wth you.

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

what are you talking about? the cube sounds great.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. MilwMark

good point.

cyclopean likes this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

For a player who doesn't use pedals, no...it really really doesn't. Unless ice pick in the eye is good. I gave mine away.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I spent a little time playing the TRRI with the 15" speaker, forget what they call it. (they shoulda called it the Vibrosonic Reverb Reissue)
    Anyway it wasn't bad but a less efficient speaker would help. Could barely turn it up in the store when I was tending the cash register on slow days. Had no desire to bring it home for further evaluation.
    If you go with a silverface don't discount the later 100 watters. Sure they've got the useless MV and pull boast. But they went back to BF voltages and no dog turd caps too. Most days I prefer my '76 to my '65. But it's got inefficient Utahs too.
    Printed boards? Marshall's had um since 1973 and Ampeg since around 1965. Made right they're fine. Unfortunately not everyone makes um right. The Fender RIs don't look to be as bad as most new stuff though.
    A good sounding TR is a thing I love, they don't all sound good though. I'm not a fan of the low voltage ones at all.

jman72 likes this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

you're kidding. i use a large pedalboard for band practice and gigs, but i just go straight into a cube when i play at home and i love how it sounds. the basic clean sound is great, and the reverb/chorus/delay sounds are gorgeous.

maybe you're just using it wrong.

i just wish it had a bigger speaker, because it lacks thump.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. MilwMark

Weird. It's hard to get a bad sound out of Roland Cube. And easy to get great sounds out of them.

stantheman and cyclopean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.