Your oldest sweatshirt (or article of clothing)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple jackets and a vest that are hand me downs from my dad that are older than I am.

I'm born in 1980, these things are from the 70s

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I bet others who live around you are relieved to know that. LOL

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I have a tee short bought at a Rush gig during their R30 tour. It's a good 12 years old. I've put a "bit" of weight on since then but can't let go of it as Rush is (and has been) my favourite band since I was in my teens - and I'm 56 now.

Other than that, I had a pair of rugby boots I held onto for decades but, as I'll never play again, I binned them a year or two ago. They must have been 30+ years old but were still in good condition.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome responses.
    It's amazing how long we hang to clothing items. Things like Cub Scout uniforms are really memorabilia since they can't be worn any longer by the original owner.
    It's also amazing how long things can last if treated well.
    My white sweatshirt has had a lot of use. During the cooler months it's worn quite a bit. I had some LSU caps that were over 20 years old that I threw away recently.
    The oldest concert T I have is from Jeff Beck's 1999 tour.

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I still have my first leather motorcycle jacket. Traded a hitchhiker for it 40+ plus years ago. I'd saved enough to buy a new Schott leather jacket. Left Rocky Point LI to buy one in NY, picked this guy up not 10 miles later. He was desperate. Heard my story, offered me his worn MC jacket for 15 bucks and my Consolidate Freightways jacket. Rode with that jacket all over the US and Canada for years. It's frail now, but too cool to not have in the closet.
    MD

7171551 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Old paint dripped sweatshirt and my spam sweatshirt

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I've got a pair of Army issued Jungle boots that are 30 plus years old that I wear when I'm out in the woods.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I have a dark green cardigan sweater that that I bought when I was 17. (I'm 66 now) It's still one of my favourite pieces of clothing. Also, have a t-shirt that I bought at the World's Fair in Spokane in 1974 when my first wife and I were on our honeymoon. It's got a rabbit winking and saying "Happiness is knowing how to multiply", and I still have a picture of my wife wearing it just before she had our baby a few months later.....

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.
  9. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I have a couple sweatshirts that are around 20 years old. Nice and comfortable now (and frayed). Also have a few button down shirts that are pushing 20 or so. One thing I realized is that shirt quality was much better back then.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

In 1966, my parents bought me a wool "sport coat". Herringbone pattern. I wore it to church (Easter & Christmas) and to a couple high school dances.
    Still have it, still fits. A little threadbare in a few spots on the inside. Wore it to work today, because I could.
    IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

Some neighbors owned the little store where my folks bought it. My brother & I did a lot of yard work for them, mowing & raking stuff. Over 50 years ago.

Stubee likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread is making me want to clean out my closet. I found a work vest I used to wear when I was hauling equipment back in the 80s. I have a sports coat that has been around so long, I truly can't remember buying, but I'm wearing it in an old photo from at least 30 years ago.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

BDU's from February 1987. Issued to me at Fort Leonard Wood.
    I don't wear them anymore, but they are still stuffed in my duffel bag in the attic.

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have monogrammed tee-shirts and ball caps going back to the early 1980's or even the late 1970's. They seem to last forever because I don't wear them.

14. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Got a sweatshirt with the original Starburst logo on it. It's a sci-fi mag that came out decades before Opal Fruits changed their name. Not fit to wear outside the house now.

Also still got my old motorbike jacket which hangs at the back of the closet and hasn't seen the light of day in years. Should have chucked it out along time ago but I kid myself it's an incentive to lose weight so I can wear it again. So far, it hasn't worked but you never know .. new year, new start.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Fort Lost in the Woods! ;)

985plowboy and fendertx like this.
  16. PC_Hater

PC_Hater Tele-Meister

My winter coat is still the 1954 UK Civil Defence greatcoat I bought from the Army & Navy stores in 1973.
    For really really cold days and proper winter motorcycling I wear a WW2 Belgian Army leather Despatch Riders coat. I bought that in 1982 or so.
    About 30 years ago my dad gave me a new pair of steel toecap work boots he wouldn't be needing. As I am still using the pair he gave me before then the new ones are still in the box waiting.
    I still have my Scout hat, knife, and belt from 1970 or so. I belonged to a rebel scout troop that moved into the new long trouser uniform with no knives only when they were threatened with expulsion from the scout movement.

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I have a leather bomber jacket that I bought new in 1983, thirty-four years ago. It's a bit snug, but it still fits.

I also have a green twill two-pocket shirt with a button down collar that I bought in 1990. I haven't one like it advertised for the past 20+ years.

18. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My buddy that was stationed there always called it that as well. They even substituted Misery for Missouri. :)
    Man, he hated thast place!

19. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I have a pair of boots that are 30 years old. Had them custom made way back when and they're on their 3rd set of soles. They Still feel great.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Never heard anyone say anything positive about that place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.