Your Oldest Possession?

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I must have worded it wrong.

Again not antiques or stuff you inherited but items that belonged to you initially and still have.
I was thinking it was a pocket knife a friend gave me when I was four. My parents would not allow a four year old to have a knife. My four year old self hid that knife from my parents for s-e-v-e-r-a-l years. I can keep a secret.

Then I read @NoTeleBob 's post. I have a Teddy bear from even further back. I assume I was one or two years old. (Eisenhower administration.)

I still have a Zildjian ride cymbal I received for my 10th birthday. It is still in the rotation of cymbals I use. Come to think of it, I have some drum keys and a snare drum case that I owned before that cymbal. Still use those as well.

Last edited:

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I've got a small ceramic cup that a Sunday School teacher made and handed one out to all of her Sunday School kids. It's yellow and white it has a duck on it and also my name, it's dated 1956. I would have been 5 years old.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
When I was 10 both my parents were having affairs and then divorced. They both remarried and started new families. I was passed to aunts/uncles and step grandparents while my biological parents relocated from Queens, NY with their new children. As a result, all the photos/memorabilia etc of my youth were lost/tossed during their divorces and moves. I do have a photo of my 30th birthday that is framed. My mom saved a photo of me on my 1st birthday (she was 19!) that she gave me. But basically nothing else.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Dad gave me this when I was in elementary school.

5D0EE4CD-D93B-4B0B-B187-C7817610C65F.jpeg

DM1975inKS

TDPRI Member
If we are going for the oldest thing you own and not what you’ve had the longest then I have some very old junk. Ancient Chinese coins, fossils, American coins from the early1800’s, WWI and Spanish American War artifacts, etc… But I do believe the OP meant what have you had the longest?

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a glass prism that was given to me as a boy by my parents. I showed it to my daughter. She broke it within five minutes. :(

My oldest personal possession that has always been mine might be my 1984 Telecaster. No... I think there's a toy metal car/bank that a neighbor brought back from England as a gift.

The oldest thing I have is definitely my great-grandmother's snub-nosed revolver that she used as a Wells Fargo agent, along with one of her bookshelves, which is finished in matte black paint and totally rock solid. I also have a semi-automatic Smith & Wesson from the 1920s that belonged to her son, my paternal grandfather.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a lot of old junk that I discovered metal detecting (Berber Dimes, Indian Head cents, Trooper buttons, arrow heads, etc.) but as for oldest thing that belonged to me? It might sound odd, but I still have my first baby tooth that I lost. My Grandfather attached a keychain to it and told me it would bring luck like a rabbit's foot.

It remains in a box of weird things in my basement along with my Grandmothers good china and other junk. It never brought me any luck and quite frankly was a little creepy.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have a Winchester .22 rifle from the 1930's left to me by my Grandad, which I shot with him when I was young. It's a bolt action with a 5-shot clip. I do have the original owner's card too with the specific year but can't remember it right now.

Other than some other pretty old items like my mother's college dictionary and books written by Teddy Roosevelt, nice wooden clothes hangers from my other grandfather's clothing store; etc.; a tweed RCA record player, Telefunken tube radio ... my next oldest item of significance is my beloved '59 Tele. Oh wait I have my mother's childhood Shirley Temple coloring book!

EDIT: ok given the clarified giudelines (things of which you are the original owner), will have to re-think this!

Last edited:

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Either my baby book, which dates back to the Truman administration, or a copy of the Broadman Hymnal. Not sure when the hymnal was printed, but it was copyright 1940.

The baby book has my paternal-paternal great-grandfather's first name wrong. The book implies that I was named for him. As it turns out, he had a different first name. I don't know if I was named for anyone in particular; maybe an uncle, maybe a player on my dad's favorite baseball team.