YOUR OLD WIRELESS MAY BE ILLEGAL FOR OVR 10 YEARS AND YOU DON'T KNOW IT

rcboals

Tele-Meister
THIS IS POSTED FOR THE THREE OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THEIR WIRELESS SYSTEM IS ILLEGAL. THERE USED TO BE FOUR OF US AS I HAD NO IDEA. :eek:

I just found this out in the last week that my wireless is now illegal. So, it is an excuse to update my wireless guitar system. I gad been worrying what Christmas present I was going to get myself this year, problem solved. :)

IF YOUR WIRELESS IS IN THE 600 MHz BAND IT IS NOW ILLEGAL AS OF JULY 13, 2020 T-MOBILE OWNS THAT BAND. ALSO, IF YOUR WIRELESS IS IN THE 700 MHz band it has been illegal since 2010 it is supposed to be for emergency responding people.

LINK THAT EXPLAINS IT VERY WELL. https://mantheiylaw.com/wireless-what-you-need-how-to-stay-legal/

I WILL NOT BE USING THIS ANYMORE ONY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL AND MY CONSCIENCE CAN'T HANDLE IT EVEN IF THERE IS A SLIM AND NEXT TO NOTHING CHANCE OF GETTING CAUGHT OR IT BEING A PROBLEM.

Last edited:

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know if they are actually illegal but the spectrum has been sold off so if you are using your wireless guitar pack you might pick up someone's cell phone call through your amp.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
The more interesting story is how they auction off public use spectrum.

They're not selling the spectrum outright like you'd put a guitar on eBay. The auction winners get a non-perpetual (but renewable) license, often with the condition that it must be surrendered if they stop using it.

Most spectrum never really was public-use anyway. Without regulation, it becomes a free-for-all that makes it useless for anyone.

Nickfl

Friend of Leo's
PnwvX6.gif

radtz

Tele-Meister
I still have my old one from the 80s. I can broadcast on VHF channels. I often wondered how many times I would have to play the Smoke on the Water riff before the FCC showed up at my door.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
There are pockets of the 600 MHz spectrum that are still legal for use. I am currently using 2 Audix RAD360 sets for my guitar, both legally operating in the 600 MHz spectrum. I am fortunate my sets can tune into the free frequencies. All my professional sets for work operate in 500 MHz spectrum, or up near WiFi bands greater than 1.2 GHz.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
While technically illegal they still have some use. For example I’ve been giving band outdated wireless mics and such to some Native American tribes for use during Sundance, powwow, etc. Many of those places are so remote cell phones don’t work.

That doesn't make them any more legal to use; FCC rules apply on tribal land. You're handing someone something that could get them fined far more than the cost of a system that complies with the rules. To be fair, though, the FCC is usually pretty lenient about these things; they'll ask you to stop first and take enforcement action only if you don't.