1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your musical roots?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hatfield92, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nobody in my family was a musician, but I was drawn towards that path as long as I can remember. As a small child, I can remember being really drawn to Elvis. I was 3 when he died, but a couple of my slightly older female cousins were total Elvis freaks. Plus, he looked like the Fonz, only cooler.

At some point around that time, I attended my first concert, with my mom and my two older sisters. Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn. So the country influence was always there. It was hard to avoid, growing up where I did, in the hills of southernmost West Virginia. I can recall playing and replaying 8-tracks by Merle and Buck during that stage. And, of course, Hee Haw was on every Saturday.

But I wanted to rock.

The first rock music I remember being obsessed with was surf music. I learned all the words to the Beach Boys’ hits around the same time I learned to read. I just realized I’ve ALWAYS been most fond of older music. It’s a rare “new release” that can move me like something that has stood the test of time.

Happy Days also shaped my ear. The excitement of that early rock cut right through me. Rock Around the Clock, the Everlys, Fats... and always Elvis.

Drums were my first instrument. I joined marching band in 7th grade, even though all my friends were playing football. I needed to learn how to play music.

That was just a foot in the door, so to speak. I’d begged my parents for an electric guitar for years, but they didn’t think I’d stick with it. I guess a couple of years in band helped them realize how serious I was about it, so I got a cheap strat copy and even worse solid state amp for Christmas in 9th grade.

It’s also around that time I became obsessed with my single greatest musical influence, The Rolling Stones. This is around the time they got back together for Steel Wheels. And they also released a documentary called “25x5: the Continuing Adventures of The Rolling Stones.” I had that on VHS, and I probably watched that a hundred times.

I mean, I STUDIED that thing. It had lots of great performance clips, and they were the perfect archetype.

I’ve got lots of other important influences, but this is the stuff that’s my foundation, to this day. The Stones, the early rockers, a little Beach Boys, a little classic country. That’s me in a nutshell.

fattboyzz, goldwax, losrogers and 6 others like this.
  2. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

My dad was very military, but he loved the Beatles, the Stones and the Doors. As a kid, I remember hearing the long version of "Light My Fire" over and over. "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby Standing in the Shadows" was another one he played to death.

I also remember us driving off base so my dad could buy a copy of "Hair" when it first came out. The PX on base - where I bought the 45 of "Ride, Captain Ride," my first record purchase ever - was not allowed to sell it. My love for the Beatles, the Stones and the Doors has always stayed with me, but also branched off into the Who, the KinKs, the pre-disco Bee Gees, the Moody Blues and a few others.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

My father played guitar in a band in the 80’s but we never really talked about it til I got interested in music around 12 or so up until then I didn’t really pay too much attention to music
    At that time it was at the Height of the Nu-Metal boom and I listened to a lot of Korn, limp bizkit, and other types of metal from the period, working my way back to nirvana and 90’s alternative rock, also listened to rap and hip hop of the time as Metal was tinged with it
    Then for my 13th birthday my father got me a record player and gave me access to his stack of records which consisted of a lot of 70’s rock and even some records from the 60’s that belonged to my uncles

And pretty much I stay listening to the 60’s 70’s
    Mostly listening to stuff like The Band and Beach Boys and everything in between, I’ll listen to pretty much most types of music

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was very little, my violinist Dad played classical violin concertos on his record player (not stereo), by “heroic” virtuoso players.
    He’d play along with the records of Jascha Heifitz, Nathan Milstein and Fritz Kreisler.
    Mom played musical soundtracks, like My Fair Lady, Carousel, and Brigadoon.
    Later in the 60s, Dad listened to Joan Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary, and “hoedown” fiddlers like Tommy Jackson, Harold Hensley, and Howdy Forrester.
    I was a radio pop/rock fanatic, and guitar player wannabe.
    Luckily pop music was never more rich and varied, IMO.
    I really loved the Beatles, Buffalo Springfield and, later, James Taylor and the Allman Brothers Band.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    fattboyzz, Matt G, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Grandpa was a piano player in a band . .

A cop ...
    NYPD ...

When he was moonlighting in a band in a speakeasy during Prohibition ...

He would be alerted by his cop buddies to an impending raid ...

And boogie out the back door ...

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Dad was in a skiffle band in the 50s, played tea chest bass. He played guitar, mum played piano and tinkered with a mandolin.

7. Heavy Formvar

Heavy Formvar TDPRI Member

Although my grandpa was a clarinet player in a band, there were no professional musicians in my family till my mom´s generation. She became a classical pianist, both her sisters are also classical musicians and one of them teaches music in a school.

So as a kid I was growing up with classical stuff. Till I found some kind of "music from torrid regions of the world" record on the shelf, and as coincidence has it, there was a Cajun song on it. I´m still a huge fan of Cajun and Zydeco Music, although I wasn´t into Wayne Toups´music back then I like it now.

Somewhere at age 8, probably through cajun music, I came across CCR stuff which I consider a happy accident - it actually wasn´t one of their well-known songs but their version of "Cotton Fields". At the time, I also started playing the cello, and someone showed me Queen´s "Sheer Heart Attack"...so I started filling the gap between Fogerty and Freddie with all the Zeppelin stuff and and and... ;)

Long before I got my first electric axe, I played with a few blues/rock bands. I basically learned the minor pentatonic onstage haha.
    And as I got my strat as a birthday gift, I was glad to already know one scale...

Long story.

fattboyzz and Hatfield92 like this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My Mum and Dad were avid dancers and stayed with it until mum died... old time ballroom type dances of their times... local dances, not fancy dress up Balls....

Dad was also a tube radio geek and built/fixed tube stuff in a small workshop under our house... He also was the family/local DJ and had all kinds of records, a PA he had built, record players/tape decks, mics and stands, etc ... he always seemed to enjoy his music...

My next door neighbour, a grandad age guy to us, retired from his trucking business and liked to play Beethoven and music of that style on a flash Rotel turntable and big speakers... he studied Violin in London before ww1...

Over the back in a house higher than ours going up the hill the neighbour played post war show/jazz tunes on a piano some afternoons....

we'd be kids playing footy/cricket in the back yard and having those sound tracks drifting across the area....

I was a drummer in a bugle band as a kid.... those marches are still in my head....

late 60's and the UK bands, old and new, the early prog rock...... west coast US the sounds coming from there, the protest songs/energy of the times... a lot of music since...

Yes, I have music roots... well spread out ....reaching for more.... :)

fattboyzz, Matt G and Hatfield92 like this.
  9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

In the early 1960's we grew up listening to music that our dad played on the reel-to-reel.
    Hank Williams, Charlie Pride, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, stuff like that.

AM pop radio brought us Ray Stevens, The Beatles, Tommy James & The Shondells, and so many other great acts.

The early 1970's found us stationed in Germany, and I gravitated toward 3 Dog Night, Steppenwolf, and Grand Funk Railroad.
    We discovered the original two-album rock opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, and we wore the grooves off that record.

By the time my brother and I formed a garage band in the mid '70's, we were listening to a lot of Rick Derringer, Edgar Winter, Jeff Beck, and Alice Cooper.
    KISS hit really big, and we saw them live in December of 1975, not long after their Alive album hit the scene.

ELO was always on the radio at the time, and Peter Frampton too. Bad Company, Nazareth, and The Eagles were always playing on the jukebox.

As a band we find ourselves drawn to classic rock (and some classic country) with a foundation in pop sensibilities, tight vocal harmonies, and an interesting hook.
    To this day, friends and family comment on our proficient musicianship to be sure, but mainly on our vocal harmonies.
    People love well sung classics.

We have all of the influences listed above to thank for that, I think.

:)

10. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Dad bought us an upright piano in 1961. My sister (5 years older) and her friends would come over and play the "boogie-woogie" on it til the cows came home. Then the Beatles hit. I got me an Airline guitar from Sears and I've been playing ever since. Ha, Ha. Funny thing, I still play the Beatles, but I play the boogie-woogie as well.
    Great times.

fattboyzz, studio1087 and Hatfield92 like this.
  11. Gretev1

Gretev1 Tele-Meister

I was a kid when Pop Punk, Emo and Punk Rock was popular. Bands like Blink 182, New Found Glory, Saves The Day, The Get Up Kids and many more made the first type of music I felt was truly „my own“ at 10 years old and what made me get heavy into music. Simultaneously I also got very much into underground Hip Hop like Jurassic 5, Gang Starr, Hieroglyphics, Souls Of Mischief, Tribe Called Quest and other. But punk is what made me want to play electric guitar. But my piano teacher made a big deal about me having to learn how to play acoustic guitar first. So I got a cheap spanish nylon stringed guitar and he taught me classical music and theory. I ****ing hated it and quit after two years. Then sometime down the road I got into Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. That‘s when I got myself an electric guitar and got really serious about teaching myself. I had some lessons from different people here and there and figured it out and created my own style. I was heavy into blues early on. Sunny War influenced me to play only with my fingers. Derek Trucks made me learn open E slide and also to use my fingers. John Mayer further influenced my finger picking style. Also, punk influenced me to incorporate „octave power chords“ into blues. I also played open G Stones songs very early when I started playing: „Moonlight Mile“, „Brown Sugar“, „Honky Tonk Women“, „Tumbling Dice“. Keith Richards and Mick Taylor were both immense influences.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    fattboyzz and Hatfield92 like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Neither of my parents were musical, but my Grandmother played the piano and I have an aunt and two uncles that played from an early age. My brother was a monster keyboard player when he was young, then gave it up for corporate America. My generation of the family has a handful of musicians, but the next generation has even more with several extremely gifted singers.

I guess the music genes where sleeping, but something woke them up.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  13. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

We didn't have too many records in the house, growing up in the early seventies, but my mom liked the Carpenters and Mamas and Papas. My dad loved Sinatra.

Somehow I got into the Beatles in grade school and that's all I listened to for many years, literally. I saved my dimes and planned each next Beatles lp purchase in advance. Then in my teens I got into new wave for a bit before discovering punk, then branching out into uncompromising classic rock like Dylan and Neil Young.

When I moved to Denver in '92 I discovered my love of country music.

My own music is some kind of cross between Neil Young, Velvet Underground, and pastoral, mid-period Floyd.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There was always music in the house. My mom played piano & organ. My sisters all play piano, and individually play every common reed & double reed woodwind, plus flute. My gig was low brass, bass, and guitar. Then...I got a Led Zep songbook. Playing Zep bass lines while warming up with the school jazz band in front of the entire student body was an unwitting way to meet every aspiring guitarist in school.

studio1087 and Hatfield92 like this.
  15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was largely influenced by my older brother and a younger cousin (both guitarists). Pink Floyd, Led Zep, early Metallica, some local bands Spiderbait, Cosmic Psychos, Beasts of Bourbon. There were a few bands my bro had a passing interest but really struck a chord with me so I dug deeper - Ministry (and the whole 80s/90s industrial scene), Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds / Birthday Party. Other bands that expanded my mind as a teen were My Dying Bride, Sisters of Mercy, Einsturzende Neubauten, The Cure, Iggy/Stooges, Sonic Youth, Faith No More, etc and from there, there was just so much to explore and discover.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My mother tried to get me to learn piano when I was 7-8 but like every other spoiled brat I whined until she let me stop. My only musical roots are AM radio from the 60s. AM 710 WHB out of Kansas City. They played everything.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

My parents always had music playing in the house, although neither played an instrument. My grandmother played piano and accordian when she was young however.

The Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Cat Stevens, John Denver, Marty Robbins, Paul Simon, any Opera (Pavarotti, Caruso etc), Classical, so I was exposed to a huge cross section of music.

From when I was about 7 they tried to get me to commit to an instrument - I tried trumpet, saxaphone, drums... all the teachers said I had good potential, but I hated them and the formal structure of learning.

When I was 12 I was obsessed by having a guitar - at that point I loved GnR, The Black Crowes, Faith No More, from there Cream, SRV, Hendrix and most of all Led Zep.... The rest is history I think and Ié played ever since.

My 3 kids already are super keen to learn guitar too - hope they do pick it up!

18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had an uncle who had played cowboy music in the greater Boston area in the 40s and 50s. I never really considered it until I heard the Beatles. Like a million other kids at the time I needed to get a guitar. My mother told me that my uncle had a guitar so I pestered him to play. He could really sing and was a great harmonica player as well. He would play "Tumbling Tumbleweeds", "Happy Trails to You" and many of the old Cowboy stuff. I was playing in typical high school rock bands when he gave some Merle Haggard records. I was hooked on the Telecaster presence on those early Merle records and never really looked back. My uncle was a painter and years of painting lacquer without ventilation and died of cancer in the early 80s. I used to love playing with him.

19. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hoedown fiddlers?

I was born and raised in the same tiny mountain community that produced a pair of fiddle playing brothers. Curley Ray Cline was Ralph Stanley’s fiddle player for decades. Ray’s brother Charlie played with Bill Monroe, the Osborne Brothers and others.

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My dad played gigs in a big band style group when I was little and he loved all sorts of music - imagine a hard core WWII vet who appreciated Frank Zappa's talent. My mother's cousin was in a few world class symphonies when I was little and then a music professor. Before klezmer was ever a thing others knew, if that cousin, my dad, and another relative were at a place where there was a piano or a guy named Elmer brought an accordion they'd jam. My dad had pride in his high fi would would play classical, jazz, pop, and show tunes. My parents also dressed us up and we'd go to big city symphony, musicals and other interesting things. As a family we played in summer time community bands at a park. In our family business or in the house AM radio would have classic Telecaster in the background. My dad also liked jazz guitar players.

I do not have the talent my dad or relatives had but I was just always always around music. My dad would say the sound of machines and engines were music. Parents, grandparents, and my dad's friends. Music and books were always important. Even without all the kids having same talent most of us appreciate it. I do think there's a genetic component because not everyone likes music in such a broad sense.

Bob M, Hatfield92 and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.