Your most unusual amp?

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Nice. If you open it up there are some little board mounted trim pots in there for the reverb and chorus. I tweaked mine a bit. I suppose it should be possible to wire some panel mount pots to those locations. Somewhere I have the service schematics for the early 250ML that might help.

Yeah I know about those. You can also adjust the amount of gain for the gain switches. The bad thing is that one or two of the other pots adjust the bias current on the power transistors and you can get horrendous crossover distortion if they're off or even fry the transistors. I realized this after messing with mine and getting a weird oscillating noise. I then googled and found that I had messed with the wrong pot. I turned it until the noise went away and it still works so I guess I got lucky.

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Photo from the 'net; not my photo, but I did have two 6" Eminence speakers installed in the airspace of my Fender Bandmaster Reverb. IIRC this one is in Iceland or Norway?
wMbUhAtM-B5UQ-Yp7jA9zTa-gHn63BweDgjMB6UFfB_yG2xpyv2qWDNS-KemQIkCeMazozZQfNyNzglNjwQGZTbBzayGMT-wmvAegswHFJ9R-GP-

^^ TDPRI thread started by Robster in 2015, 4 years before I got on TDPRI; great minds think alike! [edit - mine's the same model mentioned in Robster's thread; "5005 TFL" under "Bandmaster Reverb" on the front.

Haven't even played it real loud.
The speakers were $12.00 each on sale from Parts Express like 6 or 7 years ago. The sound is fun and very forward.

Last edited:

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I've got all kinds of amps - tube, solid state, digital, combos, stacks, you name it.
Way cool...It looks like something you would see on the Jetsons (for those who remember the Jetsons)
But the most unusual amp I've got is this one:

xxkqhx7zqxu0v84a8wxo.jpg

Weird amp. Lots of power, probably too many tone controls, unusual design. It doesn't get out of storage a whole lot, but I think it's too cool to move along.

What's the most unusual amp you've got? Post pics!

- D

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
Mine would have been my Polytone Mini Brute III, but it finally gave up the ghost, and died on me. Now it's a very nice sounding 1X15 cab. I understand that the speaker was made by Eminence. Whichever model it is, I love the sound of it.

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Impact, Made in England '69 or '70, top notch quality.
The physical design is kind of unusual, and you don't see these very often.
And I have of course modded it so it now has a clean channel and a 2203-ish channel (master volume knob hidden in the back).

Don't know what they were thinking when they designed it, but I'll have to come up with something to secure the head to speaker cabs. Or perhaps turn the head upside down...

Impact.jpg
IMG_20190225_205456.jpg

0ct0Pr0n

Tele-Meister
My ‘59 Supro Super always gets strange looks in these parts. Runner up would have to be my Gretsch, mainly because of my bespoke grill cloth.

View attachment 917308

View attachment 917309
I used to play with a guy who had that Supro. He used it for recording only, and always loaded in a fan to blow at the power tubes in between takes to keep them from overheating.

That thing HOWLED tho.

JRapp

Tele-Holic
A 3x8" Phelpa from Brazil. Kinda a scaled down 3x10 Bandmaster with 2x6L6 in cathode bias. It actually sounded really good. Don't have a pic...and there's very little online about them.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My second most unusual amp is one of these.

mglvj6b3tb84zktovvxu.jpg

A Guitar Research T64-RS. Built for and sold by Sam Ash, it's a 60 watt solid state head with a 12AX7 preamp tube. The cabinet looks like a slant Marshall cab, but it's actually smaller and loaded with 4 8" speakers. Another one that hasn't been out on a gig for a while, but it's got a nice clean channel and the drive channel actually sounds pretty good when you lean into it. I think I bought this one for $150, you can get them for cheap if you can find one.

I've got a friend here on LI who owns 3 of them. He keeps asking to buy mine, but I dig it so I'm holding on to it.

- D

Last edited:

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Okay. I just recalled my first guitar setup:

Ibanez Stagestar SSH Strat -> Zoom 505 multi-FX -> 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter -> 3.5mm to cassette adapter -> JVC car tape deck powered by old computer power supply -> JBL 3-way 6x9 speakers housed in a home-built box.

The power supply didn't have enough 12V current so when you hit a big chord it would shutdown :lol::lol::lol:

s-l1600.jpg

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Maybe not that odd, but for me it’d be this one:
DC165494-47A2-4B94-BAE0-A6108F71BF21.jpeg

It’s a home built variation of Scott Rubel’s Phat Ass amp with the preamp 12AX7 running in parallel feeding into 2 EL84’s in the power section. Home made cabinet from cheap wood; hand hammered chassis from an old filing cabinet and the front plate fashioned from some tortie scratch plate material.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
I have a Rickenbacker TR-25 from 1981. It’s not unusual, per se, but it doesn’t exactly sound like anything else I’ve ever heard, either. It’s just idiosyncratic enough for me to want to keep around. The speaker is an 16 Ohm Eminence 12” and the detail in the high end is just off the charts — so off the charts that I have to turn the treble down 100% before I can play it. We practice with it, I roll the volume up 100% and it’s clean all the way up. Dirt pedals (I only use a preamp and an OD, no high gain) give it the little extra juice it needs to do exactly what I want in a practice or small gig but it holds its own in a noisy quartet.

Solid state, of course. There’s a lot of terrific solid state sleepers out there. And I get it, I’d rather play my Deluxe Reverb than this thing, but the Ricky cost $150 and I don’t mind if it gets banged around. It’s a keeper, and people comment on the tone all the time.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Is yours stock? I remember a lot of people used to mod those.

- D
Yep. I’m one of them. I’ve modded two of them, a head and a combo:
1B73B49C-E8BB-440B-BE13-2CD78D2F86F7.jpeg
0DA38509-0605-4C98-A2E3-E8978BF550D4.jpeg

Both are based on the 18watt.com/sewatt.com “Marshallesque” mods. The combo lives at my Church. The head and cab live at my home. The Hammond 125ESE output transformers in both amps make these guys wolverines.

No pics, unfortunately, but I also own a Fender Pro 185. Solid state, 160 watts RMS, TR form-factor with 2x12 speakers. Useful for knocking walls down, chasing animals off your property… and it’s the Nuclear Option for terrible neighbors. :)

Last edited:

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've got a crazy little tube amp that a friend who has since passed away made. It's made up of a lot of found parts (including an old metal mouse pad folded as a chassis), wobbly tremolo and an odd array of tubes. It sounds great! He showed it to me among some other that he had built several years ago. After he passed away, I saw it for sale in a local Craigslist ad. I bought it without a second thought. It's a real "keeper".

51669439969_4b84d9c365_b.jpg

51669629240_84d49a0f4c_b.jpg

Last edited: