Your most-recent weird dream?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 21, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

No particular reason, other than what we dream is pretty fascinating.

I've been sleep-deprived as I catch up with grading papers, but in the two times I could catch a few hours over the last few days, I've dreamt that I'm happily wandering around Los Angeles. A place I've never even been to. No one knows me or notices me, and the traffic is so steady that it becomes background-hum peaceful.

Maybe that's why--I've never been there, and I sure am eager, where I'm stuck, to get far away from paperwork. Plus, it's sunny and summery there (in the dreams), and it's getting colder here.

And--no offense, anyone--but the dreamscapes are so L.A.-ugly--shabby, crumbling concrete; check-cashing and bondsman and liquor stores, etc.--that I can't want it to be better, or worry it will be uglified. So there's a nice the-slide-downward-is-done feeling.

And it smells good--like nearby Mexican food, and around-the-corner Lucky Strikes.

I never said I was sane.

Yours?

(Again, I'm NOT saying that L.A. is all ugly. Just that my dreams are picking out the ugly parts of it....)

bcorig and fendertx like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A couple of nights ago, I dreamed I was a young man again, out selling tractors, but then it took a weird turn because I was talking to a guy who was going to buy some tractors, but the company he worked for hadn't even begun at this point in time. I would deal with that company many years later. Anyway, we are standing in an open field that is on gently rolling hills discussing the details of the sale when we hear a loud noise. We look up and almost directly over head is a large bomber type jet plane flying low. Just at that moment a missile is launched from beneath the plane about thirty feet long.

In the distance I see the missile impact the ground exploding, and expelling what can only be poison gas! At that moment the guy I'm talking to drives away, but I happen to glimpse a truck with a SAFETY VEHICLE sign on it. I can see another man running towards it too, I assume the guy who's driving the vehicle. When I get there, I see several gas masks lying on the seat, I grab a rock from the ground and smash the window and reach in and grab the mask nearest me. I then take off back to my truck, and make a U turn and head back the way I'd came, then I had to get up and make a nightly water contribution in the bathroom.

Funny thing is, I could see the missile was clearly marked with what I recognized as middle eastern writing of which I would not recognize right now, nor could I write a single character of same. In my dream though, the read letters against the white paint covering the missile were clear to me. Odd how things work while you're dreaming.

ben smith, nojazzhere and fendertx like this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I almost never wake up remembering my dreams. I regard that as both a blessing and a curse.

4. Toto'sDad

My son who passed away always claimed he never dreamed. He said when he went to sleep, it was like going under anesthesia, then waking up refreshed. Finally, he dreamed of his wife having a little girl, and she did. He never dreamed about anything again.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

The other night I dreamt that I was in a corporate office building which was different than any cube farm I've ever been in - nothing remarkable, just nowhere I've been before in real life. I was trying to find a conference room and was late for a meeting. As I got close I had to struggle belly crawling to get there. In real life I have worked from home for about 4 years now, so not sure where this is coming from.

The other dream I have occasionally, enough that I've recognized a type of dream, is that I'm going somewhere and walking on a helical ramp. Can be up or down, never noticed a pattern there.

7. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

This morning I awoke from a particularly strange dream....

I was attending some sort of company field trip. We were entering the strangest hotel you had ever seen. The hotel was cube in shape but it surrounded a giant pool of murky water that had an undetermined depth.

My colleagues and I were standing around the giant pool of water when someone said that they saw a sea turtle swimming in the water and sure enough there was. We marveled at it for a moment before a few more started surfacing momentarily and then swimming off. This was followed by hundreds of plain fish. Someone casually says, "here come the sharks". Tons of sharks start swimming closer to the surface, eating the fish. Everyone acted like this was completely normal until a giant red and purple tentacle slowly rose out of the water before submerging again. It reemerged and submerged a couple of times with people gasping all around and attempting to pull out their phones to take video and photos.

Suddenly, multiple giant tentacles appeared from the depths to pull people into the water. Other tentacles slammed into the sides of the building, causing debris to fall from above.

My alarm for work went off and I went about my day.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Sometimes my dreams are fairly milquetoast. Other times, I dream about stuff that would get me arrested in real life. I don't discuss those.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

a lot of my post graduate work had to do with proximity. I think it is jungian and super cool that a person who is landlocked dreams of ocean life and that life is symbolic of what seems like the underpinnings of things... very cool.

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

The other night I had a dream our upstairs AC unit drain pipe was leaking out into the hall carpet. I was almost to freak out, until I realized that we don't have carpet in the upstairs hall, it is wood flooring. I knew at that moment that I was in a dream. I breathed in very deep and looked around and thought this is cool! I was going to go look at other parts of the house, but the minute I started walking I woke up.

I think that may be the first time I so vividly remember knowing I was in a dream

El Tele Lobo and getbent like this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I never thought of it like that! Yup I've only ever been to the ocean once. It was on my honeymoon and we went to Hawaii. Rather than being landlocked, I was completely surrounded by water! It was sort of a panic moment the first time I stood on the beach and all I could see was water when I'm used to seeing miles of wheat fields on a flat plain.

My father-in-law claims that he has lucid dreaming (the ability to control your dreams) down to a science. He says that constantly he notices when he is dreaming and from there he can control the dream. I've never had a moment where I noticed I was dreaming.

rcole_sooner and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Last night I dreamt that my wife and I were taking a university sponsored wine tasting class. I kept telling my wife that I didn't know why we were taking the class because I didn't like wine, and wasn't interested in all of the connoisseur-like minutiae being discussed and taught.

After enduring what seemed like hours of formal lecturing, it was announced that it was time for the actual tasting, at which point I told my wife that I needed a break and had decided to leave the class for a while, and take a walk around the university campus. I soon found myself being actively pursued by the "university truant patrol" dressed like members of the French Foreign Legion, blasting my name with their bullhorns and ordering me to return to the class. After a frantic chase through a maze of levels of several campus buildings including elevators, boiler rooms and food courts, I was able to finally elude my pursuers by slipping onto an athletic field, and then taking up the position of a relief pitcher in an ongoing coed softball game.

The weirdest aspect of the dream is that I am a recovering alcoholic who's been sober for more than 35 years. I can't recall having a dream centering on alcohol consumption since my first year of sobriety. Why now? Maybe it was my wife's "chocolate chili" that we had for supper?

stormsedge likes this.
  13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Timely thread, I had a strange dream last night.

In the dream I was in a plaza (like outside of a stadium) and I was confronted by a group of people.
    They alleged that years ago I had injured their son in a hit in run accident. They brought out some guy that claimed he witnessed this accident. I remeber being dumbstruck in the dream and had no inkling of why they were accusing me. They finished by saying I could make amends by contributing to their church. I then tried to walk away but around every corner there they were.

Then I woke up and made the nightly water contribution just like @Toto'sDad...hmmm I wonder if our dreams are connected;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Some guy I know is very against people describing their dreams, and if anyone does, he vehemently explains the interpretation as a hidden desire to have erotic submissive relationships with members of a different race, but of the same sex. I remember him shouting it a number of times in bars to end the discussion

This post may be deleted but I got it off my chest

Obsessed likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I have an occasionally recurring dream about being at the beach across the street from my house, witnessing some kind of Armageddon-type battle in the air and on the sea directly in front of me. This involves crafts and weapons not yet invented. Weird things flying past, weird boats firing weird weapons, explosions everywhere.

It’s not really scary, more like I’m just an awe-struck observer. I don’t remember dreams well, so I can’t say how it turns out.

16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

So I blissfully crashed for a few hours--was running on four hours' sleep over 2.5 days--and just woke up. What a weird one this was!

Dreamt I had dropped by my oldest son's business: an oil change place, in part of an old Sears Automotive building. Part of a half-deserted, '70s-built mall. As I walked in, his neighboring business owner was just walking away from him, in full smirk. My son was himself grinning. I could tell that the neighboring business guy had been gloating at him, and my son was sparring back. He's a resilient kid. The place smelled of new tires, not old oil. My son was closing up, and saying, "Well, Danny [presumably the neighbor] is sure cleaning my oil."

Turns out that Danny's also in the oil change business--but his business was twice as big and three times as nice as my sons. Danny has a colonial fireplace entrance to his shop, whereas my son had...an orange rolldown door and duct-tape-posted balloons. I asked my son where his profits stood, and he said, "Very laying down. One more week of this, and this is history." We silently cleaned up the shop--Danny's phone and fax machine ringing and buzzing, my son's not.

I woke up feeling jarred and seasick that my son's business--which in reality doesn't exist; he's a 15-yr.-old high school sophomore--is going under, and that I couldn't help him. Then I wondered, what the hell?

But it all makes sense: He is trying very hard, on all fronts: studies, baseball, controlling his 15-yr.-old male's irritabilities around the house, working his part-time job at a grocery store, saving to contribute to his car insurance and maybe, down the road, his own car. He's feeling overwhelmed sometimes. He's told me so, I can see it sometimes, and sometimes I must be overlooking it. This dream was telling me to be more supportive in strategic ways. I realized that while I was sleeping, he came in hectically gathering his stuff for work, and there was a feeling-very-pressured quality in his voice I groggily picked up on.

The new tire smell comes from the place having been a Sears Automotive place--and my own faint memories of wandering around the tire racks in our town's very '70s mall when I was a young teen, waiting for my dad to get done getting something for the '72 Chrysler. I felt very much the teen unable to do very much for my teen in that dream, so that tire smell made a lot of sense.

Now that I'm done with a massive pile of paperwork, I can free up my son's studying time by doing some of his household chores. I need to stand and move, anyway. And he needs to be able to focus on priorities when they're pressuring him, and to know his family has got his back.

LOVE me them nap-movies!

Amazing how bits of memories get tangled up with metaphors to tell you what's going in and around you emotionally....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    fendertx likes this.
  17. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Recently I dreamed I was learning this song on electric guitar and having a bit of a struggle with it. I was simultaneously working on it alone at home, looking up tutorials on the web, and going through the parts with my band on stage. I knew that it was one of those signature riffs that I had to get just right. The 2 weird things were that 1) I was rehearsing this song with my church band, and 2) I couldn't place exactly what song it was, although it was very familiar. After waking up and thinking through the riff in my head, I realized it was "Life In The Fast Lane," by the Eagles. Very interesting, but not really too weird for our church, as we have done Doobie Brothers and Aeorosmith tunes there in the past.

18. Toto'sDad

It's kind of a ballet, Swan Lake if you will for senior men on the bathroom stage. You can catch it at 12:00, 3:00, and 5:00 am every dark thirty.

fendertx likes this.
  19. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Once a night between 2-3 am.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

So there's this girl ....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.