Your moment.

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
yeah, but I see it as a, for lack of a better word, a sterile thing. doing what does. and we're in it, but we're just as it is, running to eventual nothingness. there is no disconnecting from it. we can ask why, but it is just the universe asking itself "why?" and then talking about it...

crazy place.

what is its purpose? no clue. hard to see. like a drop of water in the ocean, trying to spot a fellow drop of water, next to it. right there in front of you, all along. looking right back.

i realized much of the same, but with heavier religious context. i was an atheist for my whole life until about 2 years ago. i know such discussion is forbidden here, so ill leave it at that.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I remember thinking thinking to myself, that this was probably exactly what hell looked like.

I remember seeing that on TV man, and I remember thinking the exact same thing... To have literally have been there, even moreso no doubt.

beanluc

Tele-Afflicted
This makes me think of Coleridge, unconscious off an ether or opium high, depending on the version of the story told, having a dream which was filled with the exotic and fantastical imagery which became Xanadu or Kubla Khan. Waking to a brief moment of lucidity, he sensed that he had to write as much as possible of it down before losing it to wherever it is that dreams go when we forget them. What he managed to get down before passing out again was not the whole of it by any means, but he did his best.

Eagerly reviewing the note-sheet by his bedside the next morning, he found that what he had written read, "There is a funny smell in the room."

Well, that's a version of it which I heard, anyway.

Wikipedia's version goes more like this, beginning with "a profound sleep... during which time he had the most vivid confidence, that he could not have composed less than from two or three hundred lines ... On Awaking he appeared to himself to have a distinct recollection of the whole, and taking his pen, ink, and paper, instantly and eagerly wrote down the lines that are here preserved."The passage continues with a famous account of an interruption: "At this moment he was unfortunately called out by a person on business from Porlock... and on his return to his room, found, to his no small surprise and mortification, that though he still retained some vague and dim recollection of the general purpose of the vision, yet, with the exception of some eight or ten scattered lines and images, all the rest had passed away.""

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I've had quite a few times in my life where I got that instant realization that I'd remember that moment for the rest of my life.

I have probably told this story before, but it directly relates to the subject of this thread.

About twenty years ago I was out fishing on Long Island Sound with my best friend. He had a little 12 foot aluminum boat with a tiny outboard motor. It was probably around midnight and we were at slack tide with a full moon. Nothing bites on slack tide. We were probably about a mile offshore, so we decided to get some sleep to wait out the tide. Its not easy to sleep in a 12 foot aluminum boat, so it was more like resting, with just an obligatory line in the water just in case. I'm sure smoking of some kind of stuff was involved.

As we lay there in that little boat, bobbing up and down with the gentle swells, we noticed a blimp approaching. It sailed directly overhead. As it approached us, they turned on their extremely bright spotlight and lit us up. We waved, conveying that we were not in need of assistance and they switched off the light, after blinking it a few times.

As that tiny boat bobbed up and down in the water, with the blimp above us, and beyond that all the visible stars in the universe, it seemed that I could instantly feel my place in the universe. I could feel the boat floating on the water with the seafloor down below, and feel the blimp floating in the air above, and beyond that all the stars visible to the eye.

I can't really explain it, but it was an important time in my development.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds like you've got it dicked.

(I hope the term is not unfamiliar.)

you got it dicked" mmm? hmmmmm? nope , you must not be from around here? ah, Iowa city
Have you ever been to Lawrence Kansas? no?
do you fish? neither do I so ,well that about raps that howdy hi how are you up.
epiphone-les-paul-junior-xl pete Shelly.jpg

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
It's meant as a compliment. The usage of "I've got it dicked" means to me to have everything in good shape. I've got it made. Everything is taken care of. Don't worry, I've got it all under control. Got it all sewn up. Wrapped up. Problem solved, no more worries. Ready to excel at something.

There's an air of a playful over the top brag. I remember first hearing this from a bass player at a jazz gig in Portland 40 years ago. I recently read it in a publication like the New Yorker.

The internet tells me about other usages, not all of them so positive. I don't mean anything negative or critical.

What makes this difficult to understand is the lack of context and a humorous air.

I've wanted to use the phrase several times before in this forum. This was a first-time effort, that I seem to have failed at. I hadn't fully considered how it might be taken.

Last edited:

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've had quite a few times in my life where I got that instant realization that I'd remember that moment for the rest of my life.

I have probably told this story before, but it directly relates to the subject of this thread.

About twenty years ago I was out fishing on Long Island Sound with my best friend. He had a little 12 foot aluminum boat with a tiny outboard motor. It was probably around midnight and we were at slack tide with a full moon. Nothing bites on slack tide. We were probably about a mile offshore, so we decided to get some sleep to wait out the tide. Its not easy to sleep in a 12 foot aluminum boat, so it was more like resting, with just an obligatory line in the water just in case. I'm sure smoking of some kind of stuff was involved.

As we lay there in that little boat, bobbing up and down with the gentle swells, we noticed a blimp approaching. It sailed directly overhead. As it approached us, they turned on their extremely bright spotlight and lit us up. We waved, conveying that we were not in need of assistance and they switched off the light, after blinking it a few times.

As that tiny boat bobbed up and down in the water, with the blimp above us, and beyond that all the visible stars in the universe, it seemed that I could instantly feel my place in the universe. I could feel the boat floating on the water with the seafloor down below, and feel the blimp floating in the air above, and beyond that all the stars visible to the eye.

I can't really explain it, but it was an important time in my development.

That's a scene of real surreality!

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I remember being about nine years old playing with action figures, having a nice time then suddenly realising one day, I won’t want action figures or enjoy playing like that. I’d be a very different person. There was a real sense of grief there.
Same here. My friend Vince and I had played around with model airplanes, which included setting them on fire. We were sitting around a large puddle with our ships and aircraft. Vince lit a plane on fire and was flying it over the battleships. A big hunk of burning plastic landed on his knee. He instantly put his leg in the water and extinguished it. It left a hideous looking scar that he probably still has. Later, he was playing in the street, which was covered in gravel. Every so often gravel would be spread on the roads, leaving it to the traffic to grind it in. Vince had been playing in the street when he tripped and landed on his wounded knee in the gravel. Really did a number on the wound.

We transitioned to rubber dinosaur figures. One time, we had decided to meet tomorrow in one of our play areas. I'm sitting there with these dumb rubber toys and waited and waited for Vince. I gathered up the dinosaurs and left for home, thinking that the whole dinosaur thing was a little more childish than I had realized before. That was the end of the dinosaurs. I forget what we moved onto, but something. Either sports or Army. In our neighborhood, it was understood that there was big army and little army. Big involved us shooting and dying. Little army was with those rubber soldiers that were around at the time.

Phew. Once I get going...

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
I've must have been 10 or 12 years old, living in Chile next to the ferocious Pacific Ocean, I followed my older cousin into the surf as he attempted to use a small rubber boat for some fun in the water. I wasn't able to catch up to him and got trapped where the waves break and could not catch a breath. In that moment I vividly remember relinquishing my life and accepting this was my time of dying, when our of nowhere someone grabbed me by the hair and pulled me up and out. After gasping much needed air and regaining a bit of consciousness, I realized it was my father who'd saved me. He had been observing me from a distance and themoment I chased after my cousin he ran into the water knowing the perils that I faced. This event is etched in my memory forever.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
1989 - diving Grouper Canyon in Akumal QR Mexico. It was an overcast day, we were at 85 (depth) so it was a bit dark. When it's cloudy and you're close to 100' deep the clear water looks blue-gray. The dive master stopped abruptly and he pointed into the blue. The local dive masters see so incredibly well. His eyes were huge. I'm just staring into the blue trying figure out what's out there. Then I saw many pairs of dots that were all about 2 or 3 feet apart. I'm thinking "what are they?" They were the cephalic fins protruding from the fronts of 15 manta rays. The horn like fins that are set or the fronts of mantas.

Giant-manta-2.jpg

They were about 15 feet wide and coming staight at us. The "wings" became visable just after the cephalic fins were visable. The lead manta stopped and his tail dropped down and we could how big he was. Amazing. Then he started swimming very slowly and swam around us and kept going. There were 8 or 9 divers and the dive master. Luis (the DM) was oustanding at spotting little black tail sharks. I thought he saw a frightened shark swimming away. Then I saw the fins, then the "wings". They were huge. Biggest thing I've seen in the water. I'll never forget it. Breathtaking.

Last edited:

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
1989 - diving Grouper Canyon in Akumal QR Mexico. It an overcast day, we were at 85 (depth) so it was a bit dark. When it's cloudy and you're close to 100' deep the clear water looks blue-gray. The dive master stopped abruptly and he pointed into the blue. The local dive masters see so incredibly well. His eyes were huge. I'm just staring into the blue trying figure out what's out there. Then I saw many pirs of dots that were all about 2 or 3 feet apart. I'm thinking "what are they?" They were the cephalic fins protruding from the fronts of 15 manta rays. The horn like fins that are set or the fronts of mantas.

Giant-manta-2.jpg

They were about 15 feet wide and coming staight at us. The "wings" became visable just after the cephalic fins were visable. The lead manta stopped and his tail dropped down and we could how big he was. Amazing. Then he started swimming very slowly and swam around us and kept going. There were 8 or 9 divers and the dive master. Luis (the DM) was oustanding at spotting little black tail sharks. I thought he saw a frightened shark swimming away. Then I saw the fins, then the "wings". They were huge. Biggest think I've seen in the water. I'll never forget it. Breathtaking.
a beautiful moment.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've never had a profoundly mystical or spiritual experience, however there was a singularly visceral life and death moment which has left me with a vivid photo-like memory of the event. This moment occurred in the back country of The Shoshone National Forest in Montana when my wife and I were charged by a bull moose while just finishing a strenuous 12 mile hike on the Republic Pass Trail. We were tired from the almost completed hike and unaware of the moose's presence until we heard him come rumbling through the undergrowth about 60 feet behind us and running straight for us. We narrowly escaped unscathed due to our fortuitous proximity to a large National Forest trail sign at the side of the trail, behind which we scrambled as the moose charged us. After a few moments of utter terror as the moose stopped, pawed the ground less than 10 feet from us and finally chose not to pursue us around the sign, he headed across the trail to a meadow to what we assumed was his female moose companion who was browsing there about 50 yards away. For a minute my wife and I both stood frozen, literally shaking in our hiking boots and cowering behind the sign, before we were able to come to our senses and quietly run in the opposite direction from the moose, constantly looking over our shoulders down an old mining road and out of danger. The image of the moose's rack and pawing hooves is burned indelibly into my memory as is the incredible adrenaline rush that accompanied the whole experience.

Meese (or Mooses or Moosen) kill more people than grizzlies annually.

I used to live in Missoula and one day I was fishing up in Rock Creek.
I noticed a rustling in the undergrowth on the far bank of the small stream.
Up popped mama and papa Moosen (it was springtime, so I'm guessing they were kanoodling).
I was holding my fly rod in one hand and the closest thing I had to a weapon was a Swiss Army Knife.
One of the many reasons I don't go off-road without Mr. Sig any more.
Moosen is delicious I'm told.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Here’s another.
I lived in Prince George, BC from 1994 to 2002.
My marriage at the time was extremely rocky.
I would go fishing alone often, whenever my six day a week, six night a week work schedule allowed.
One of my favorite fishing places was Eaglet Lake.
It was aptly named, it seems like bald eagles loved it, too.
The license plates in BC say it all, Beautiful BC.
I was fishing one day, and I was struck with the unspoiled beauty I had the great fortune to live in.
I watched several bald eagles scoop up rainbow trout all around me.
The air was clear and smelled great.
I’m grateful the fates put me there.

Had a similar experience fishing the Clearwater River in Montana.
Was casting to this nice big trout up to my chest in water for about a half hour.
Then out of nowhere a bald eagle came in hot and grabbed it.
Made me realize how fragile us humans are in the great scheme of things.

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
When I turned 30, I was celebrating with friends and I drank an entire bottle of Port by myself. Throughout the night and into the entirety of the following day, I launched one violet convulsion of technicolor yawn after another. That following day, I was fly fishing on a stream and just couldn’t stop convulsing one attack after another along with a deep-rooted notion that suicide was actually a viable solution to make the suffering end.

I will never forget that day, and to this day I have never consumed another drop of Port.

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
One morning I pulled up to a stop light after dropping my kids off for their 1st day at school in a new year starting.

And I vividly recall that that I had a tremendous sense of a year passing because it seemed like just yesterday that I that I had dropped them off for their first day of school a year ago, previously.

All the things we did, everything, I could see it and feel it,, and here I was, a year older, again waiting on the ever-present red light on the way to work.

But what was crazy about it, was I was able to take that deeper understanding of a year of my life and extrapolate out to a 10 year span. woosh.

And that's when I really realized how fast life was going to go.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
Autumn leaves on the tree or on the ground seem to give me nostalgia. That, and fresh cut grass.

Rainbows are always memorable.

Strange how a memory has a half life or like a benchmark... Marking every few or more years, a season in a life playing through like a VHS until someone hits STOP for better or worse.

A part of the brain actually has a complete memory of your whole life. But they tell us most of our brains are untapped. I'm sure we get to fast forward through it when the tape stops, hoping there is mercy for all our unkindness and for forgetting to love each other.

Thankfully, fading memory helps us get through life without ceaselessly weeping over our lost loved ones.... But a trigger can still send me into a fit if it hits just right and I remember being alongside my grandfather... Or hugging my mother.

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are trapped inside, what amounts to, a 2d world... But dang it feels mighty real living it nonetheless.

I have quite a few benchmark memories engraved, etched in my mind. Sometimes they make me wonder why a car ride as a child was embossed into my gray matter. Arbitrary, useless. But there all the same.

Maybe it's your soul taking a deep breath.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting subject and I like your story. I had a similar one . I was about 27 , had already bought and sold my first house , and was in the process of building a home - our second house. My wife and I “fiancé “ at the time. We were having a bumpy patch in road time , she thought I was drinking too much , I was . But I remember looking up at the stars , smoking a cigarette, and though nothing really profound happened , I was thinking- the works is my oyster - as corny as that sounds ... I can do anything I set my mind to . And I was also thinking , I will remember this moment . And I still do think of that moment . Still have rough patches with the wife too... but I do love her dearly . Not sure if the feeling is mutual anymore

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I remember being about nine years old playing with action figures, having a nice time then suddenly realising one day, I won’t want action figures or enjoy playing like that. I’d be a very different person. There was a real sense of grief there.
I feel like I had a very similar moment

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
The way I interpret what the OP wants to discuss are experiences which are deeply felt, life altering experiences... preferably not involving drugs... what some might characterize as experiencing the "numinous." The "numinous" is a deeply felt, religious experience producing a profound sense of awe/fear or a godly inspired phenomenon.

I was taking a 100-level astrophysics course at UNC-CH in 1973, and during a nighttime lab, we were learning how to operate a Perkin-Elmer 24" reflector telescope- a very powerful telescope in its day- and allowed to view several nebulae. I was in awe... dumbstruck. The most amazingly beautiful sight I'd ever seen before then and since.

I've had several profound experiences of the numinous, mostly involving the sky- thunderstorms out over the ocean or meteor showers, etc. I expect I might have the same reaction seeing a brightly lit Aurora Borealis.