1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your memories of legendary clubs now gone ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fullerton Mike, Aug 5, 2020.

1. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'll figure it out and get back to you.

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

that and a no reentry policy is kinda rough.

3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i miss the old emos in austin.

and a lot of punk basements and warehouses that it's likely here no one has ever heard of.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

We used to go to the Bridge quite a lot about then. Paul Young got his Q Tips band name there after offering a bottle of champagne for the best suggestion. The RDB Band played there and were excellent, as was Jackie Lynton, who is still going. There's an album called A Week at the Bridge that was online, although I'm not sure if it's still available.

5. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Not really legendary but darn good. The Boulder Outlook Hotel across from the CU campus. Just a sampling of artists that played there that I saw:

Rick Estrin and the Nightcats (several times)
    Debbie Davies
    Bernard Allison
    Tommy Castro and the Painkillers
    Tab Benoit
    and many more.

The Grand Emporium in Kansas City.

The Bodega in San Jose when I lived in Silicon Valley.

I went to school in Lincoln, NE many moons ago and spent many hours at the Zoo Bar. It's still open.

6. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

I never get up to the Sunset Strip, or hear about the Whiskey (a Go-Go) anymore, but it is likely there. But either way, I saw Rory Gallagher and the Allman Brothers there (separate shows of course). If you know the venue, it is small. Hearing Rory wail and rip it up in that tiny club, and "all" of the Allman Brothers Band that barely fit on the stage, were both religious experiences. Rory was getting ready to release his second album - it was early in his career. Wilgar Campbell was still his drummer. Yep...totally religious, spiritual experiences. I knew it and I felt it in my ~16 - 17 year brain. We sat upstairs along the narrow balcony where the bands come out of the dressing room. Duane dropped a pick on the floor as he walked by. Our guitar player grabbed it before I could (haha). It has his name printed on it, they did that even back then. Thank goodness the Whiskey didn't I.D. back then!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    slauson slim likes this.
  7. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I got in touch with the manager of the singer I played there with in 1993: it was the Club de Wash (which burned down...)

8. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

That's a real personal list for me. My first gig in New York: David Baerwald at the Bottom Line in 1989. I met my ex-wife at CBGB playing with Mark Curry there in 1993 (and wound up living in New York for about six years because of it). Played the Bowery Ballroom with the Lemonheads (actually it might have been an Evan Dando solo show) around 2003 or 2004.

All gone now.

In LA: The Central, Raji's, Coconut Teaser, Madame Wong's, Sasch, The Palomino, the Anti-Club, the list is too long.

Back in Florida, does anyone here remember Kelly's Night Limit in Lawtey? How about the Big Daddy's lounges that used to cover the southern half of the state and give so many bands a start? I played the Happy Hour Lounge in Coral Gables for years and Brother Jim's in Fort Lauderdale during spring break. Speaking of Fort Lauderdale, there were the Four O'Clock Club, the Playpen, the Bootlegger right on the water where I had a calypso gig in college... Brother's Two in South Dade where I learned about playing standards from 8:30 to 4am six nights a week with Jimmy Crawford (for $180 a week... what does that work out hourly?)).

And in Ft. Pierce the Ft. Pierce Hotel and the Merry-Go-Round where Gary Stewart got his start when he was underage and had to be snuck in by the owner, the mother of a good friend of mine.

This could go on for pages: I guess I'm old.

It's like the big band guys used to say about being a musician, "Not much of a future, but a hell of a past."

djh22 and Marc Morfei like this.
  9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

There were 3/4 places in that building. Yeah, it burned, like Merlyn's, Bunky's (though it came back), Okay's, the Shuffle, etc. I didn't spend a lot of time there.

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The Lounge Ax in Chicago was only open about 13-14 years but it was a pillar of Chicago's 90s DIY/indie scene. Interesting side note, the Lounge Ax was co-owned by Jeff Tweedy's wife.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Blues On Grand in Des Moines. Was asked to sit in there with Anson Funderburgh And The Rockets (with Sam Myers). The biggest honor of my musical career.

12. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Yeah, the Main Point was awesome! It was a coffeehouse which meant I could go there in my late teens. I saw Dave Van Ronk, John Fahey, Gato Barbieri (who had an awesome guitarist with him) and many others there.

13. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    City Gardens in Trenton NJ ... 1701 Calhoun St...it was a dump, kinda like CBGB without the dog shat...great times were had there back in the day

14. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I saw Danny Gatton twice at a place on 18th street in DC that for the life of me I can not remember the name of but they were amazing! We went there originally because we admired Tom Principato, who opened, and our band wanted to be like them (I was a bass player then and the telecaster bass was the ****!) changed my world view and switched to guitars...

djh22 likes this.
  15. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Famous Ballroom, Baltimore. Mostly jazz, but some blues.

16. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Maybe The Ontario Theatre? Or The Childe Harold?

17. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

it was down below DuPont maybe 18th and N or M street. Like 1986 or so... I do know it kinda switched to Regae at open point (saw Burning Spear there) had a cool raised stage too...

18. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Kilimanjaro?

19. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

Yeah, I think that may be it’s name now, super cool memories from those shows!

20. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

The Briar Patch in Carmel NY.
    Beverly's in Bantam Lake CT.
    Tuxedo Junction in Danbury CT.
    The Fore n Aft in Brewster NY.

Legendary to us locals but all gone.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.