Your memories of legendary clubs now gone ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fullerton Mike, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike TDPRI Member

For me, it was The Golden Bear in Huntington Beach Ca. I saw 3 shows there in 1983/84 when I was still a teenager ( I think you had to be 18 to enter.....I can't remember )

Allan Holdsworth.....probably around 1983.....Quite frankly, I wasn't developed enough as a guitarist to appreciate what he was doing....I do remember marveling at his long finger stretches acrosss the fretboard....kind of boring music, but the Bass solo from Jeff Berlin remains the best Bass solo I've ever seen....I think a lot people there were disappointed that EVH didn't show up to jam...One more thing....There was some fusion group called "The Fence" that opened.....They kicked MAJOR A$$.....They were so good! Never heard from the again (This was pre internet of course)..

Joe Perry Project....late 1983......Joe was touring behind his "Once a Rocker" LP. Show was Ok.....No complaints really, but Joe was really giving off an unfriendly vibe like he didn't want to be there....He barely looked at, or spoke to the audience.....Probably remembering that he was playing stadiums only a few years before

Johnny Lee Hooker.....October 1984.....It was what it was....A casual show by an old Blues guy....I think I was the only sober person there.....Moderatly entertaining, but I appreciate it more today

Nice club....Intimate setting, but not cramped.....Cool staff, and good sound....After I turned 21, I started going to dance clubs as opposed to live music places cause I was more interested in meeting new females than seeing guitarists

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Cali Dude, audiopablo, DonM and 2 others like this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Long before I moved to Atlanta, I used to drive up here just to go to 688, probably the coolest club in the southeast back in the 80's. I saw The Blasters, Lounge Lizards, The Fall, The Dead Kennedys, Iggy Pop, The Long Ryders, The Replacements, The Pandoras, Camper Van Beethoven, Dream Syndicate, Jason & the Scorchers... really, just waaaay too many to list... or remember.

It was a great time to have access to a great nightclub.

1024px-688_Club.jpg

3. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

Stagecoach Inn in Stamford, TX. I saw a lot of country bands there. Gary Stewart always packed the place. Btw, it was byob.

smoothrecluse, stepvan and tubegeek like this.
  4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

The Lone Star Café, 5th Avenue, NYC.
    CBGB & OMFUG.
    TR3.

I'm wearing my CBGB shirt at this moment, in fact.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  5. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

For me it was probably McGregors in Elmhurst, IL that closed in '93 I think. Seen a lot of great shows there, my faves included Screeching Weasel (who played there regularly), The Vindictives, Citizen Fish, The Queers, Smoking Popes, SubMachine, and Filth. Almost every weekend was worth the visit.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Warehouse in New Orleans was one I went to frequently.
    The Safari on Chef's Highway is where I got to see Irma Thomas in 1966.
    In Houston it was the Dome Shadows near the Astrodome.

4 Cat Slim and CajunJ like this.
  7. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

NRBQ at the Palomino in North Hollywood, '92. An incredible show...Big Al flat blew my mind that night.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Several around Ft Worth I can name. The Bluebird in Como (home to many African-Americans), The HOP (House of Pizza) near TCU, and the Caravan of Dreams, downtown Ft Worth. But the one I miss most, for sentimental reasons, is Panther Hall on Ft Worth's East Side. Everybody in country music prior to its closing in 1978 played Panther Hall.....and I mean EVERYBODY. Many national/international rock groups played there, too. (including, ahem, me :) ) Many live albums were recorded there, as well as TV shows that originated there. The building was finally demolished in the 1990's. :(
    Added.......I can't believe I forgot about The Cellar in Ft Worth. Legendary "Den of Iniquity".....owned by Pat Kirkwood, whose father was a famous gambler out on the Jacksboro Highway. Guys like ZZ Top played there (long before they were famous) and George Carlin did standup, when he was a KXOL DJ. The most notoriety The Cellar received though, was when the Secret Service agents in town on Nov.21, 1963 partied all night there, and then had to go to Dallas the next day.......and that's all I'm gonna say.

9. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Star Palace in Fresno, CA. Saw so many great shows there in the 80's: Albert King (with Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers w/Junior Watson opening), Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, The Bangles, Elvin Bishop, Robin Trower, Huey Lewis (right before he started to break, incredible show), Katrina and the Waves...

It still exists as a reception hall...had my wedding reception there 21 years ago next month.

10. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

teletail, djh22, basher and 2 others like this.
  11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I used to do live sound recording occasionally at CBGBs in NYC. Some great shows recorded there, but it may have been the filthiest club I've ever seen. The walls had a sticky scum on them. The restrooms were filthier than some gas station restrooms in the Deep South.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

RC laments the demise of the early club scene in Sydney with certain iconic venues closing down..

HoodieMcFoodie likes this.
  13. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike TDPRI Member

I think I remember reading abut Panther Hall in the Roy Buchanan biography

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. TampaMan

TampaMan Tele-Meister

I saw Albert Collins and Roger McGuinn separately there. And the McGuinn, Hillman and Clark group there. A tremendous number of legendary musicians played there until it closed in 1986. I wished I could have lived there.

15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Stone San Francisco. Saw Saxon there March 1982. The boys from Y&T sat in the table behind us in the audience and we’re really cool dudes.

The Keystone Berkeley. Saw Chuck Berry there February 1984. Stood front row. During his encore he waved a few front row people up on stage and I jumped up. He was in a great mood that night (must have been paid already) and even thrust his guitar at me and I reach over and played a few strums. Later when my friend, his GF and I were heading to the parking lot in back there he was putting his guitar into the trunk of his car, all alone. We engaged him and told him how much we loved the show and he was really nice and told us how much he appreciated that. Even signed my friend’s GF’s denim jacket.

Lou’s Pier 47, San Francisco. Around 1987 or so. Saw Johnny Copeland go to town on some of the best blues I’d ever seen. Small place and I sat not 3’ in front of the master. I was a huge fan of the album Showdown! and it was so awesome to see him. Amazing guitarist.

-PickupTruck-, chris m. and drmordo like this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

New Apartment Lounge on the near south side in Chicago.

Would go there for the jazz jams, place was the last of a once huge jazz/blues scene that captivated the city for decades.

The bar was stuck in 1968 decorum:

[​IMG]

It was amazing how many local blue collar gray haired cats would just walk in and randomly start bringing it! What a culture.

drmordo and drlucky like this.
  17. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Liberty Hall in Houston.
    It was the best venue in Houston in the '70s., long gone now.

Markrkrk Wood

4 Cat Slim, teletimetx and nojazzhere like this.
  18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Matthias likes this.
  19. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Well I don’t know about legendary, but it was a local legend when I moved out here in the mid 90’s. The Dead Goat Saloon in Salt Lake City. It was a classic dark and dank basement level brick-walled blues joint in the heart of downtown.

They used to do a live simulcast on a local nonprofit radio station every Monday night. The touring blues acts I saw at that place in my 20’s made a huge impression on me. That’s pretty much where I got hooked on the blues.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Cadillac Bar in Nuevo Laredo, back when it was semi-safe to run and play and get drunk in Mexico
    0b91dc0aa4786917ad08c9e88db3fa7c.jpg

Also, the Balinese Room off of Galveston. Actually, i never made time to go there but i do have a big cypress plank from the wreckage after it was destroyed by a hurricane in 2008.
    Lots of cool history there.
    3199d7c703ea6c4e4ed1942b51403fbc.jpg

Pickingthru, dannyh and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.