Your "lead" sound?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

We need examples! Post an example of one of your lead tones! We cant stare down our long noses unless there is a video or audio file.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Tele, Lovepedal Les Louis, tweed deluxe clone.
    Sometimes tube screamer too but not too often. Sometimes some delay and verb but again, not too often.

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Ok, I'll bite. Lead sound starts at about 0:45. Some caveats:
    - This is a live recording from a video cam. So the sound is extra distorted, but I think it captures the essence of what I was trying to do.
    - Rig is SG -> DD3 -> Marshall. Normally I play a Mesa. Most of the Marshalls we had for our backline in Japan were JCM800s. This one may have been a 2000. It was probably up as loud as it could go.
    - The phasing you can hear is just the camera moving around, sounds cool though.
    - I do use a wah at about 8 or 9 minutes in. I....do not expect anyone to make it that far :lol::lol:.
    - I've since swapped the pickups on that SG from stock to P94s, so I'm sure it would sound waaaay different now :lol::lol::lol:.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Telecaster with Alnico 111 pickups, Boss Katana , on the " Crunch" setting, sometimes Phaser or a bit of Flanger, sounds good to me. Better than my Princeton which is really nice nut only as a clean amplifier.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

When I play lead or single notes I simply step on my GE7 with the pictured settings

Attached Files:

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Interesting stuff.

I've been a dmm user for a while. Just got a flashback delay. I like that it doesn't alter my dry tone, and sounds pretty good. Something about the memory man though, it finds its place in the mix really well. I think that might be the purpose of its preamp, which has bothered me at times for slightly thinning my tone.

It will be interesting to listen for the differences in a mix. Hoping to switch to the flashback for the convenience.

7. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

I’ve been trying to keep a simple rig: guitar > fuzz, OD, Clean Boost, delay. Small amp (Princeton clone) allows me to get the amp cooking and use my guitar volume to boost for leads. I use the delay either as effect (psychedelia) or to fatten my sound.
    I really like those players who have 1 great tone.
    Regarding delay - Tim Pierce did a great video on how to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Friend of Leo's

I started in 1970 in the age of the Allman Brothers and Joe Walsh. Back then you used your volume control to back off during rhythm and push out into a solo. Because we were pushing the amps up high, when you pushed up the volume you were increasing volume, saturation, and compression by virtue of both increased gain and amp sag. Somewhere around the mid-'70s we started hearing leads that were lower gain yet sustained like mad. Lo and behold the MXR Dyna Comp compressor had arrived. Somewhere around 1977 I switched to an Electro-Harmonix LPB preamp and eventually an MXR Micro Amp. So that is the root of my lead sound: More bloom and compression. You can negotiate between pretty clean and medium gain.

EQ? You have to be heard, and bass doesn't contribute to that. I typically push up the midrange near the stop and then tweak the high-end per amp for articulation. I HATE ice pick, so I typically moderate high-end.

Ambience? Most of my playing these days is on record. Go into the Joe Walsh records and listen for ambience. You'll often hear both delay and reverb. BUT, you'll barely hear it. I run up the delay until it fills the dead spaces. I got started with an Echoplex back in '78 and learned to tweak it down to where you couldn't tell it was there. That fills the spaces between the notes and helps moderate the attacks of the notes. Another thing I discovered way back then was that on record much of the delay was post-amplifier so that it didn't over-saturate the amp. Of course, Van Halen and Eric Johnson brought back pre-amp Echoplex. I also add a little reverb to put the guitar in a space. HERE is a Tele lead example from one of my productions and HERE is another with twin lead.

Just for fun, HERE is an equipment test I did in my home studio with an ES-335. I think I put too much ambience on this, but there wasn't a client and I was fooling around. You can get something of my humbucking lead sound from it, though. The lead sound is simply the rhythm sound pushed up.

Bob

Gin Mill Cowboy and dswo like this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I like using any amount of gain as long as it’s clear and dynamic. That can be fuzz or just hair. I love the clirty thing as well. Which is very hard to get at lower volume.

As long as it allows you to convey what you want to say and it inspires you to play, I like it.

Here is that clirty clean/dirty high volume thing. Great performance too. I struggle most to approximate this kind of thing because it betrays how sloppy my playing can be.

Typical lead sound for me a few years ago:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Brett Valentine likes this.
  10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a volume knob guy. If you have a hard time cutting through your band, spend time working on dynamics in your next band rehearsal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.