1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your internal "voice"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

What an intriguing thread. Here's my two bob.

I seem to get 'thoughts' from four or so directions.

Most often, it's words forming in response to some form of stimulus. Like what I'm typing, now. I couldn't separate the thinking from the words.

When out and about, the first thought is often the instinctive response to something. If I see trouble, then the thought of 'trouble' arrives before the words which inevitably follow.

When working with my hands / playing music, things can get pretty zen. In those cases, if there's any thinking going on, it's expressed in fingers instead of words or instincts.

Finally (?), there's the occasional mental image or video that runs itself out of the blue, totally unbidden. Usually daydreaming. Occasionally something ridiculous or outrageous that bursts out of nowhere. Those thoughts are always good for a shout or a laugh, and almost never for sharing with other people. Drives the missus nuts when that happens.

As for positive / negative, it trends toward the better me sternly reminding the worser me to lift his game.

geoff_in_nc and getbent like this.
  2. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

GuitarsBuicks writes like they are talking. I often talk like I am writing. I am frequently concerned with speaking accurately, concisely and coherently. I hear my voice thinking (and sometimes also see my thoughts in print), and then I scan it and edit it if needed, and then I say it. It slows me down in intellectual conversations, which can be frustrating.

I often have conversations with other people in my head. These often feel like rehearsal conversations, so I will be prepared later, even though the in-person conversations hardly ever happen. Sometimes these are annoyingly repetitive.

I almost never remember my dreams. I have never woken up with a sleep-formed solution in my head. I'm jealous of those who do.

I don't think in pictures much. I only vaguely remember what things look like until I see them again and remember.

I don't have a running soundtrack in my head, but once in a while an earworm will pop into my head.

I can blank out my mind pretty easily. It happens a lot when I don't want it to.

I'm tired all the time. I just try to distract myself from the fatigue.

Most of all, though, I have an absolutely tireless contradiction detector in my head. Whenever anyone says anything that contradicts anything they have ever said or written before, I get an emotional jolt like an alarm clock is going off. It only shuts off if I point out the contradiction or the subject changes.

Matt G and getbent like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

This most of the time, but I also do completely abstract (which is usually disturbing to those around me if I say/describe it out loud). And a movie theater, sound studio, and cad/cam...depends on the situation.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

It really depends on what I'm thinking about. Like many of you it's predominantly me talking to myself and I find it really hard to describe any other thoughts I have. They feel automatic and these thoughts are only present when I'm solving a problem (or at least that's the only time I'm aware of them).

Sadly my thoughts which are usually worded are mostly negative. I tend to ruminate a lot of negative experiences that no one else would even remember, times I've made a mistake, let myself down, let others down, when I've lied etc.

Overall I would say I'm a good person but these negative thoughts have definitely taken a toll on my confidence but I'm moving past it.

geoff_in_nc and Rocky058 like this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Unless it's actual writing that I'm working on, my though processes are comprised of 'blocks' and not words.

I cannot describe what they look like, but it's sort of like how Legos go together: certain things snap together only a certain way and unless you correctly fit them to each other, no matter how hard you bang on 'em they won't go together. I think another way to describe it is an electrical schematic.

That is how I process thoughts, ideas and solutions to problems.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Like @JL_LI , my mind never rests. I think both verbally and visually constantly. I can develop a design or calculations or reverse engineer anything I want. I have to place a design problem into my head just to go to sleep and then my mind continues through the night in my dreams the same way.

I always feel I must need to rest my mind, so I either meditate or practice Tai Chi to stop my mind for a few minutes each day.

My success in Ultra sport competitions was partially because I could think and imagine my way through periods of pain or exhaustion.

I suppose my busy brain has kept me from experiencing boredom. Something I do not understand or relate to. Time is my demon as I have always felt like I don't have enough time in the day or hour or minute or even in a lifetime. Just too many things to learn, experience and do.

Matt G, JL_LI, getbent and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.