1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Idea For A TV Show

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If you had a chance to sit down with producers and financiers and sell an idea for a TV show, what would it be? I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your idea, you were never going to do anything about it anyway.

Here's mine:

I think I'd call it "The Jury". The premise is that it's a courtroom/detective/audience participation show. Think Law and Order meets Perry Mason meets American Idol.

The show opens with a crime scene. Then the cops investigate and obtain suspects. Suspects are interviewed until they come up with someone who is charged. Then they go to court for a trial.

Obviously, it needs to be written so it's not as boring as a real court case. Evidence is presented and argued by attorneys. Witnesses are interviewed. The story of the crime is laid out and recreated as it evolves. Eventually, it all boils down to the jury... which is the audience. It's like a POV in which the TV viewer is presented with the facts they they/we have to decide guilt or innocence by voting via text.

The defendant is found guilty or acquitted and that nearly the end of the show. The very end of the show is you get to see what REALLY happened. So, a defendant could be voted guilty but actually what really happened was different and an innocent person could be convicted or vice versa or they jury could have gotten it right.

The show would go over several episodes for each case before the final one where the audience votes and the way the crime actually happened is revealed.

What are your show ideas?

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

An idea I've had since its first season is American Idol Senior, as I think they cut the auditioners' age at 30? So something similar to the singing shows, but less competition, more showcase, and only for people over age 45 who never 'made it.' The only real appeal to those singing shows for me was finding out about the competitors' backgrounds, and a few who had tough paths to the show were extremely compelling.

Imagine how much more compelling it'd be if it wasn't merely some 15 year old phenom, but a 15 year old phenom who didn't make it and spent the next 40 years working construction and working on his musical chops every free second.

Lockback, JL_LI, getbent and 4 others like this.
  3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"Shut up and Play"
    I get major music acts to sign up and agree to cover a song. It's live. They learn what song I've chosen at the start and have one hour to develop their cover and perform it. One act. One song. One hour. No competition. There's enough of those on these days.

elihu, modavis99, Thoughtfree and 5 others like this.
  4. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was thinking a show called 'American Idle' would be a sure thing.

5. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's the role for which I've been prepping my whole life as title character, just needs a comma between the words. ;)

6. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Catch a brick with your teeth. Whoever catches it wins a prize. Whoever loses...well whatever.

7. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

What hasn't already been done? I remember 13 channels of **** on the tv. Now I have half a million. Still nothing to watch.

Torren61 and Dismalhead like this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

"Black Guy/White Zombie"
    Stan, a grizzled and cantankerous but streetwise African American cop originally from the tough streets of Detroit. His partner, a hipsterish rookie from the suburbs of Phoenix - and recent victim of a zombie apocalypse. Hilarity ensues as they kick ass and take names in the LAPD. Zombie must learn the ropes while resisting the urge to bite and infect his partner, perps, and the commissioner, who constantly rides his partner for his unorthodox but highly effective policing, but that also risks lawsuits against the force. Starring Carl Weathers as Stan and Jared Leto as Zombie.
    Too bad Don LaFontaine isn't with us any longer, that voiceover would have to be in that voice.
    Opening theme by Rob Zombie, because of course it is.

StevesBoogie, Boil and Torren61 like this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My idea hasn't been done.

10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Abbott and Costello Meet The Crips...set in East LA in the late 1980s.

String Tree likes this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Celebrity Island Survival.

Take a few hundred T-Z list 'slebs' and Piers Morgan, and dump them on an island. An island without fresh water, food, shelter or fuel. No scripted reality. No cameras even. Just drop them off, and leave.

Then broadcast Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Punch Piers.

Folk take it in turns to sully their knuckles for charity. They pay £50 for a face punch, £20 for a gut punch and £10 to administer testicular re-arrangement via a blunt cricket bat. You can substitute Piers for any other ambulant turd in a cheap suit.

Mr. Lumbergh and aging_rocker like this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'd do a show about Circus Freaks and have Jerry Seinfeld be the main star.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

how about an actual "news" show with real journalists

14. Timmay

Timmay Tele-Meister

beyer160 likes this.
  15. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Ok here goes:

The show is called "What's Keeping Me Here?" and centers around an average guy (Fred Zimmerman) who works at a mattress shop. Throughout each show, Fred is plagued by bad luck and unfortunate events which occur to him. These things would completely stress any other human out, but somehow though, he learns to persists through it all with a great attitude and keeps his head up.

The love of his life, Sherry, knows him from high school and they're friends. But our boy Fred could never have Sherry because she's way out of his league. So he's left to fantasize about what it would be like to be Sherry's man. Fred goes on dates every great while, but Sherry is the only one he has eyes for.

Even though Fred's job isn't the most ambitious, he's happy to have it and muddles through life with almost hopeless optimism. At the end of each episode, I imagine the watcher is inspired and reflects upon their own life and realizes it's truly not that bad.

PS: Yes, this is a very loose autobiography idea. Well, apart from the dating thing.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have an idea for a game show. You, ah, ... durn! it's been done!

Torren61 likes this.
  17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

OK, you win :twisted:

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

That show sounds fantastic, I would totally pan it in another thread about jumping the shark.

geoff_in_nc and Torren61 like this.
  19. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I'd make a show about room mates. 2 woman and a guy. I'd make the guy sort of goofy, one of the woman smart and the other sort of an air head and dorky, but really pretty, she would be the blonde of course. They would live in a rental right next door to an older couple who would their landlords. Each episode would have a different story line but there would always be a major misunderstanding of some sort. It would be hilarious.

20. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Arm Wrestling with Chaz & Dave
    Inner city sumo wrestling
    Knowing M.E knowing you
    Youth hostelling with Chris Eubank
    Monkey Tennis

KATT, Torren61 and Ash Telecaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.