YOUR Hot rod Deville Settings for a Twanguy Tele sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Markknopfler, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Markknopfler

Markknopfler TDPRI Member

Hi !

I just bought a brand news hot rod deluxe, and I would like to gather the settings that you think good for a twanguy, but not "ear killing" Tele sound.
    I've got a 50's MIM Classic tele with Fralin Pickups, and teh sound I get has too much mediums...
    Do you think that for playing Masons Rifs, I need an external EQ such as a Boss EQ ? Does he get Is sound with a stock amp, with the guitar plugged right into it ?

So what are your settings, Tele players ?
    Thank you.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

brightness switch: off
    bass: all the way up
    middle:7-8
    treble: 10
    you will need a decent compressor w/ the flg settings:
    attack:all the way up
    tone:noon
    level: 2 o'clock
    sustain:10-11 o'clock

3. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, Nick! I just got my Blues DeVille running a couple of days ago and was thinking about selling it. Your amp and compressor settings may have saved this amp from going out the door.

Now, I've got my Peavey TubeFex effects unit hooked up and have your settings dialed in. Sounds great! Now I need to set up a few presets with some delay and maybe even OD. Got the TubeFex's Comp and Tube OD up front and it's time based effects in the loop. This amp is the most effects friendly amp I've ever had. It's still not up to my Peaveys or my Reverberocket without effects, but with them it's right up there!

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Hot Rod Deluxe settings:

Bright off
    Treble 4
    Mid straight up
    Bass Straight up
    Presence off

With a Boss CS-2 Comp. set at:

Level: 3 o'clock
    Attack: 11 o'clock
    Sustain: Noon o'clock

While it is more than easy to get great tones by plugging straight into the amp, if you want to get a "Mason-esque" tone, you are going to need a compressor IMO.

Jake

5. Markknopfler

Markknopfler TDPRI Member

About Comps

Thanks guys !

So you all think that using a comp is the best thing I can do ? What sort of comp ? I know that boss produces some great comps, but I've heard that some other comp may be better for Country. What do you think about it ?
    Does Mason always uses a comp ?
    What about external EQ ? Do you think that the HRDeluxe's EQ is sufficient ?
    Thanks !

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

MK,

The best thing you can do is get to your local store and try out a bunch of different comps. Find the one that works that works best for you. I like my old boss CS-2 for just about any style, but the offerings these days are pretty vast. You should be able to get a decent comp pedal for anywhere from $70-$300, maybe less if you buy used. I bought mine used several years ago for $35 at GC.

The ones that seem to be the favorites of people on a budget are:

Boss CS-2 (discontinued, but not hard to find)
    Boss CS-3
    MXR Dyna-Comp
    Digitech Main Sqeeze
    Marshall "Edward the Compressor"(ED-1 I think)

For more bucks you can get into some of the boutique stuff, but for live playing I don't think the audience knows the difference.

Jake

7. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

HR Deluxe or DeVille?

Wondering if your talking about a Deluxe or as mentioned in your subject line a DeVille?
    Anyway, I set my DeVille 2x12 as follows
    Treb-4
    Mid-9-10
    Bass-7-8
    Presence-2
    Rev(very sensitive)- 1-2
    These settings give me a real good country sound. Also I have a MXR Super Comp that I set as follows
    Level-12 o'clock
    Attack-2 o'clock
    Sens-12 o'clock
    Some people give this pedal a bad review, I think you just have to sit down with it and play with it until you get the sound you want. It took me a few hours until I had it set to where I wanted it. I get a very Brent Masonish sound out of this setting. I play a nashville b-bender that has a 5-2 bridge pup and a APII middle pup. The bridge alone is very tele sounding, maybe not as twangy as some others but does not have that ear peircing high end. I play alot with the bridge/middle setting, and this is where I get that Brent Mason tone. If your looking for something more twangy, than I would cut the mids and turn up the highs. I guess its something you have to tinker with to get it where you want it. 8)

8. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

One more thing, I'm pretty sure he uses a Boss compressor, CS-3 I think, and some Delay for the standard chick'n pick'n stuff and a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I guess I depends on what song or songs your are listening to in reference to the tone you are talking about. I think he mentioned once that he plugs strait into his amp a plays away, with fender amps this is a possibility. 8)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.