Your heaviest Fender Teles .........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tonyj, Feb 9, 2020.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

What is the heaviest Fender made Telecaster - give or take an ounce or two - that you have ever owned or played?

Reason for asking is that I recently acquired an immaculate 'mint' like MIJ Micawber style Tele, just like the one Keef is known to play. It is a fantastic sounding guitar with great tone and sustain, etc., etc..

The problem - if in a fact it is considered a problem - is that it weighs in at 10Ib 5oz, which is a little more than most of my other Teles. Doesn't bother me though, as I usually sit when playing most guitars. I am however curious as to whether the weight of this guitar is perhaps typical for these older (Japanese) models.

This gorgeous thirty-five year old, 'Made in Japan' guitar, was produced by the Fuji-Gen company in 1984-86 and bears the Serial Number of A015777. It is totally without dings, dents, flaws or any other issues. It is a pristeen example of the finest work that Fender's Japanese Luthiers are known to produce. Sadly it seems to reinforce the notion that Fender is missing the boat by not importing more examples of these or similar guitars from their Japanese subsidiaries.

Some photos;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    CV Jee Beez and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I have a 77 Tele that is about 12 lbs--very similar to an LP, and a total back breaker.
    Sounds great though.
    MIJs are excellent guitars.

tonyj likes this.
  3. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

My '75 US made Tele comes in at 9lbs 3oz IIRC.

That's a nice looking Tele there but what happened to the low E saddle?

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Keef took it. He's been needing one, for quite some time now.

+

I think the most heavy Fender guitar I ever owned is about 9 1/2 pounds. I never tried to avoid those heavy ones - I just never found myself the owner of one.

Fretting out and tonyj like this.
  5. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

My heaviest is 7 and my lightest is 6

6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Classic Series 60's at almost 9 lbs. One of the first Tele's I bought and coming from mostly Gibsons, I was not 'weight aware'. I tried unsuccessfully to sell it when I bought my AVRI 62, so I made it an Esquire with a Cavalier Fat Lion (avatar). Great guitar but no one wants to buy heavy Teles.

7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

The Micawber guitar is traditionally tuned to open G, as used by Mr. Richards. This means the E string and saddle are removed, with the other 5 strings being tuned as G-D-G-B-D in ascending order - hence no saddle for that tuning preference.

INFANT likes this.
  8. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

A ‘98 Am Std I once owned was the heaviest. I believe was high end of 8lbs, close to 9 if I’m not mistaken. May not seem like a lot but It felt like it...not a very well balanced axe.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a MIM Deluxe Nashville (ash body) that's maybe 8 pounds, 9 ounces? But it seems as though there's a hunk of plutonium embedded in the ash, between the bridge and the bottom strap button. The upper portion of the body is light. It is strictly a sit down guitar, because what weight it has is so far "aft".

But my oh my, it is the best sounding Nashville I have, of the four. There's just a "purpose" to the sound of that guitar.

10. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I too have some real light weights. They are not uncommon. I do have another extremely nice Tele style guitar which weighs close to 9lb, and is a 'keeper'. Not a Fender, but as good as a CS Fender.

The Micawber is a superb guitar. Just a little heavier than some but compared to a bunch of LPs I own or have played, a mere lightweight.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  11. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

My AO 50s is just a bit over 7 lbs. That's my heaviest.

12. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

My 78 custom tele was a real boat anchor.
    When I listed it for sale the first question I was asked was..
    “How Heavy”.?
    mid 70s they musta had good backs n strong shoulders.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

And if the heavy guitar itself isn’t bad enough they thought “hey we should put a bunch of brass on these things!”

NicDo and Shango66 like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

My Baja weighs in the upper 8’s probably 8 and a half to 9
    And my jimmy page mirror tele only weighs a little less which was a little disappointing but it played so well I got it anyway
    10.5 is definitely heavy for a “newer” tele especially from what I’ve seen out of Japan

15. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 50's Baja Tele from GC when they had them in Vegas Gold. Very heavy. I sold the body and kept everything else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.