Your hairline/do you wear a hat?

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a bald spot on the back but so what I can’t see it . I forget it’s there and let some one else worry about . Mrs. G is more concerned , as she’s the one who sees it, and got me some kind of special shampoo.
She said it’s working

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I wear a hat pretty often to keep rain off my glasses or sun off my face & eyes, but who really needs one? View attachment 945243
There's a nice dinner right there!

I always wear a hat, a green one with the Air Force logo on it, but I have no idea where it is so I don't wear one, not until I find it. I usually wear one because I think they are comfortable, it keeps my glasses clean in the rain, and my music teacher is so used to me wearing one he is suprised when I'm not wearing one lol

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I had killer hair genes until a year or so after high school, then the thinning out and receding was on, more so the thinning. Fast forward to my now mid 30’s the receding is taking hold pretty good. No prob for me because I started “buzzing” my hair a few years after I graduated solely for the simplicity aspect and that I was comfortable with what was coming/happening. I wear a hat sometimes mainly due to weather, super cold out or hot and sunny since I rock a almost shaved dome.

One of my Buddy’s I’ve known twenty years started to get blindsided with the receding and thinning out six months ago or so. I commented about it, made some jokes because what are good friends for? Shortly after for the first time in my life I saw him wear a hat. I think since then he wears a hat, possibly sleeps in one and showers with it as well lol. I said what are you smokey and the bandit now and only take it off for one thing?

I think he’s self conscious about it now, I told him just embrace it and buy your own set of clippers and dive into the buzzed look.

So do you wear a hat because of the same reasons? Are/were you self conscious about it
Worn hats forever.
Now that Im getting thin on top, I still wear them.

Hair for me is like Forestry: Up front are the Endangered Species. In back is the Old Growth.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm in my early 60s and have the kind of hairline a lot of guys would wear a hat to hide. I wear a hat when I need one for warmth or sun protection, or keeping rain off my glasses. But I go out without one when conditions allow, which is mostly.

-Ray

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
You just can't beat a Tilley, on a sunny day.

IMG_20210531_190649511_HDR.jpg

Slim Chance

Tele-Afflicted
I am afflicted with both no hair on top and height. I wear hats for protection. Even with them on, I manage to draw blood. Many a piece of scalp have I've left on a low doorway or tree limb.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’m 70 years old in January of this year. I can blame my parents for me wearing a hat. I’ve quit wearing ball/trucker caps. Too many out there. After a couple of English blokes wore them in SoCal on a trip, I’ve worn nothing but a flat cap. Basackwards indoors and for my eyes with polarized sunglasses out side. I’ll go on record here I’m not folicaly challenged. I now wear the cap to control my hair as I now am retired, have no safety issues, no appearances in our church or go to public places. (Liver transplant)

Attachments

• F52AEB8E-79DA-4A23-8F82-968A9464EB29.jpeg
    F52AEB8E-79DA-4A23-8F82-968A9464EB29.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 19

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
I have been wearing hats since Junior High, and now that I have less hair I see no need to change just because people might think I'm covering up. There's a decent collection hanging on my wall, and when wearing them I frequently get compliments.

So there. 🎩

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
My main problem was in my trade all the vendors gave out the trucker caps. If there’d been a flat cap I’d have worn it. This way I’m not advertising anything for anybody. The free T shirts have been destroyed as well. I still have the suede 8 segment cap I bought in Ensenada 45 years ago. I’m still looking for a Tweed plaid 8 segment cap like the English men wore so long ago.

surfco

Tele-Afflicted
Hair is on our heads to protect the skull and brain.
No hair = no protection.
Hat = somewhat protection.
Wear a hat if you're bald.

CoryB

TDPRI Member
I'm 63 and still have all my hair. It's just all grey now.

I wear a hat when I'm working outside for hours in the sun or driving my Jeep with the top down. The yardwork hat is a Tilley clone and the Jeep hat is one my wife and kids had made for me in 1998.

Casually, I never wear one although that may change soon as my ridiculously curly hair is growing out and I need some way to tame it.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I am 65 and still have my hair. I wear a wide brimmed light hat in the summer to keep the sun off my head. I wear a brimmed wool hat or cowboy hat in the winter to keep my head warm. It has nothing to do with hair.

TheOtherNeill

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Bald guy here. I wear a hat at all times outside, to try to avoid having bits scraped off me later; indoors, I don't care much. I guess I always knew my genetics made baldness inevitable, so I more or less made my peace with it early. At least I got around thirty good years of hair: my father was bald by 18/19, and my brother was bald by his mid-20s.

One advantage of baldness at a relatively early age is that people generally don't notice aging as much ("You haven't changed!" [read: "You have just the same amount of hair I remember!"].)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
And I do not do, nor have I ever done, baseball caps …

YMMV.
True. Baseball caps (or what we used to call "gimme" hats, as in "gimme one of them Caterpiller hats") generally lower your IQ by about 30 points. I have a friend who says everybody's hunting clothes lower their IQ by 50. The right hat can really make a difference. And some of us who are bald and had fair hair long ago need the protection from the sun, also our noses and ears.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
My hairline hasn't moved, but there seems to be a lot less hair behind it. But then I'm old; decrepitude becomes a badge of honor. Perhaps I should get a floppy hat to cement my position as a weird old guy, but I haven't worn one since Little League and new habits don't come easy.