That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Babs say I donut need no hat!!

FB_IMG_1570590380418.jpg

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I still have hair, but I wear a ball cap almost every day. I carry two or three in the trusty CRv, lest I be found wanting one at the golf course. I hate playing golf bare headed.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had killer hair genes until a year or so after high school, then the thinning out and receding was on, more so the thinning. Fast forward to my now mid 30’s the receding is taking hold pretty good. No prob for me because I started “buzzing” my hair a few years after I graduated solely for the simplicity aspect and that I was comfortable with what was coming/happening. I wear a hat sometimes mainly due to weather, super cold out or hot and sunny since I rock a almost shaved dome.

One of my Buddy’s I’ve known twenty years started to get blindsided with the receding and thinning out six months ago or so. I commented about it, made some jokes because what are good friends for? Shortly after for the first time in my life I saw him wear a hat. I think since then he wears a hat, possibly sleeps in one and showers with it as well lol. I said what are you smokey and the bandit now and only take it off for one thing?

I think he’s self conscious about it now, I told him just embrace it and buy your own set of clippers and dive into the buzzed look.

So do you wear a hat because of the same reasons? Are/were you self conscious about it
When I decided my hair was thinning more than my liking, which I'm guessing I was in my late forties, I bought a buzzer and took all of it off. I shave my head now. I'm an all or nothing kind of person.

Hats? Damn right, when it's cold out or when it's blistering hot and I'm in the sun!! But not for vanity reasons. I've got three very nice fedoras One is felt for the winter and one is straw for summer, and another fedora, the style of which I can't place. The first two are close to a pork pie hat style, the other one, the brim is a bit wider, and the sides are curved up. It reminds me of the hat that the Grateful Dead's Ron McKernan wore, but mine is made of some type of stew/grass.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I wear a hat to do exercise walks, for protection from the sun. But for cosmetic purposes, hats don't help. Yes, they hide this balding head, but I've always looked like an abject idiot wearing one. Meanwhile, my wife can wear any crazy headgear and look fabulous. Grrrr!!

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Once you start wearing a hat, then (if you're like me) you have a serious case of hat hair.

My girlfriend is telling me, I'm not taking good enough care of my facial complexion. I've got to start wearing a hat outdoors, all the time, or my face will pass for saddle leather. So, it doesn't even matter if there's a 100% full head of hair up there anymore - she's telling me (and she's right) that my mug is what matters.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My hair has been longer in the back than the front for many decades now. :) I do wear hats, but not because of any kind of need to hide my forehead. I wear them for sun protection or cold protection.

Friend of Leo's
What's that song from Frozen... " Let it go"
Or, you get to an age and.... if you're the only one on stage wearing a hat... Everyone's going to be thinking....
Course, if you're all wearing hats... Everyone's going to be thinking....

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Not usually, just when needed because of weather (I hate umbrellas).

OTOH I always missed the old times (pictures), when everybody covered his head with different garments.
I think it use to add some elegance, which I appreciate... mostly to women.

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
I have a full head of hair but I wear a hat when I leave the house per my dermatologist’s instructions. In the last 23 years I have had multiple skin cancer surgeries with four removed from my face and scalp. No fun!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I started loosing mine early as well. Knowing it was going to happen helped. I had two bald grandparents and a father who I don’t remember him ever having a full head of hair.

I just dealt with it in what seemed like an appropriate manner at the time. First I didn’t do anything other than have a receding hairline. In the 80s even I did a “comb back” and could pass for Jack Nicholson from a distance (though I’m much younger). Finally I started just buzzing it like my dad used to do when giving me home cuts (full circle).

That was a hassle, and I too often ended up looking like a mangy opossum so I almost immediately started shaving it. I’ve been rocking a smooth head for at least 20 or more years now. I feel bad for guys with really ugly scalps, or low self esteem who can’t handle it.

No combovers, toupes, or plugs for me, though I have thought about a wig that would duplicate my actual hair way back from before it started going away.

It would be just part of my costume for rock gigs. I had hair exactly like Slash, long before anyone other than his mom had ever heard of him.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I wear a few now that my hair has thinned. Not bald, but my hair is so thin that it stands almost straight up due to the lack of weight to hold it down. Either I wear some gel or a hat if there is even a breeze out....I choose hat.

Winter it is a Irish Flat cap for warmth or else a good Akubra. In the summer, it is a ballcap or Panama.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A hat tip for you all.

There was a company named Quaker Marine Supply that sold nautical clothing (made famous by Ernest Hemingway) which used to partner with LL Bean back in the '80's. Before they went under due to a fire, they were known for some very high quality products including a great fur felt hat.

I don't know if it is rabbit or beaver, but the quality matches my 6X Stetsons of that era easily. Fully lined, and just really well constructed.

The company still exists in name only as it is completely new ownership and they no longer offer these felt hats, but if you come across the vintage ones, you can get them really cheap because nobody recognizes the name.

This nice olive one was purchased in a vintage clothing shop for $15!!!! Shop owner never heard of the name and assumed it was some foreign knock-off....she was so wrong.
Capturehatcrop.JPG

hat 010.jpg

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I wear a hat near every day if I'm going out. I brush it once in the AM or after showering so the hat keeps it out of my face.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I had killer hair genes until a year or so after high school, then the thinning out and receding was on, more so the thinning. Fast forward to my now mid 30’s the receding is taking hold pretty good. No prob for me because I started “buzzing” my hair a few years after I graduated solely for the simplicity aspect and that I was comfortable with what was coming/happening. I wear a hat sometimes mainly due to weather, super cold out or hot and sunny since I rock a almost shaved dome.

One of my Buddy’s I’ve known twenty years started to get blindsided with the receding and thinning out six months ago or so. I commented about it, made some jokes because what are good friends for? Shortly after for the first time in my life I saw him wear a hat. I think since then he wears a hat, possibly sleeps in one and showers with it as well lol. I said what are you smokey and the bandit now and only take it off for one thing?

I think he’s self conscious about it now, I told him just embrace it and buy your own set of clippers and dive into the buzzed look.

So do you wear a hat because of the same reasons? Are/were you self conscious about it

Shave it. Do it. Don't ask questions. Just own it.

As for a hat, I wear one outside because without hair, the sun/cancer is a serious issue. I wear one outside in the Winter. Winter being anything under 60 degrees where I am.

I know the guy you're talking about. Has a baseball cap on 24/7. Doesn't want people to know he's going bald. Whatever, if it makes him happy, it can't be that bad. Not for me. Again, just own it.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I'm told I used to wear a different hat every day when I was very young. But ever since then, I feel that I look stupid wearing any kind of hat. I assisted electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick many years ago as a student. He has always had thinning grayish hair swept back. He wore a cool-looking fedora when outside. I found such a hat at a second hand shop, and then found another online. I looked great in them. I walked into class one day wearing one of these hats. The small class of composition students just exploded in approval. Which almost made me not want to wear it. Still very self-conscious wearing it or any other kind of hat. I can't even bring myself to wear it in public, feeling that the cooler I looked in the hat, the more affected the look seemed.

I'm going to make some videos playing blues. I've tried wearing different hats, but I look like a dick in them. It was worse when I wore sunglasses. Again, it was a cool look, but seemed kind of phony to me. So I'll be wearing no add-ons to my basic appearance. This includes necklaces and wrist-wear.

For my purpose, I'll be wearing simple stuff. I just don't have the confidence to wear a hat and shades indoors. But dang, would I look great in it. Someday...
I practically threw my shoulder out of joint, face-palming, a few years back when every Justin Timberlake wannabe was sporting a fedora.🤦🏽