Your hairline/do you wear a hat?

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I've got that thing going on ( 63) where I still have my 'long wavy' hair, but now thinning out- plus that big bald spot in the back! Such is life; I still keep my hair long for my age.
I only wear a hat out of necessity, mainly, sun, cold, rain. But no hat ever seems comfy.

Attachments

• 20210403_164917.jpg
    20210403_164917.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210819-095219_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-095219_Photos.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 13

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I grew my hair back out starting in 2019. Couldn't be off work to get a haircut, then plague happened, so I decided to grow it out again after having to deal with haircuts for a few years. It's staying long. I'll get it cut back to just over shoulder length and donate the other part, but I'm done with short hair. That stands until something goes horribly wrong.
Looking back at pictures when my hair was shorter, I look ridiculous. I'm 5'3" , with short hair I look like a child with facial hair. Since clipped down far enough would be similar to pulled back, that might work (but wife complained about that idea or a pomade pompador). If it abandons me, it'll get clipped on the back and sides, the top can get greased back until its gone.if Jake the Snake Roberts' can clip the ponytail after decades, I suppose anyone can, right?

But I can see how a dude grappling with other problems can have reservations about the hair abandoning them.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got no hair to cover my head so a hat's a must. I have a collection of vacation destination ball caps and one Fender ball cap. I get yelled at when I weak one indoors. It turns into a scream if I wear one at the table, indoors or out.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Hats for me are for utility. My hair has been thinning for years. Mostly in the back but it's slowly, inexorably creeping forward.

Since I don't care whether people find me attractive, I don't think much about my hair or my hats, if I'm honest.

If my head will get burned or my ears frozen, then I snap on one of my three hats, as seasonally appropriate.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had shoulder-length hair and a full beard in college. Went to trimming the beard and a flattop after my first son was born. Then about 20 years ago diabetes took my hair and beard, so nowadays I'm bald and take a razor to the stragglers once a week.

When I had hair, it was reddish. And I didn't always wear a hat. So nowadays I go to the dermatologist twice a year and he zaps all the "pre-cancerous" lesions on my head and arms with liquid nitrogen, which blisters up in a week and takes another week or two to heal up and disappear.

So now that I know their value, I have a wardrobe of hats for all occasions. Some are "baseball caps," but I prefer what's called "operator caps," designed for military and law enforcement with no metal button on top and velcro on the front to attach morale patches, of which I have a bunch.
1643386245674.png
1643386398727.png

However, baseball caps generally lack style - in addition to not protecting you well from the sun - so I have several hats with brims. Some are full-on cowboy models with 4-inch brims (Serratellis, the oldest brand in the country - used to make hat bodies for all the major brands like Stetson and Resistol). They protect well, but don't go with every outfit and occasion, so I don't wear them as much as i'd like.

If the house was burning down and I could only take one hat, it'd be one of these. Made by Stetson from their Gun Club collection, they're the Dune model. Like a fedora and a cowboy hat had a baby. Brim is 3 inches, enough to protect OK, but can be worn everywhere.
1643386067197.png

Get rid of the cheesy ribbon band and ridiculous feather and put a beaded reservation band on or one made from braided horsehair, and it's a compliment magnet. Everywhere I go. Seriously.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
I started balding as a junior in high-school, I tried different hairstyles to hide it, and settled on wearing hats. It was tough to deal with at an age that is already difficult. By 24 I was totally bald and started buzzing it short. I started working at a bank and couldn't wear a hat. That forced me to make peace with it. I only wear hats now if I'm working out to catch the sweat, or going to be in the sun for a while.

stomped box

Tele-Meister
I've shaved my head a few times -- extended trips on Alaska's North Slope, stuff like that.

I've also been cutting my own hair since the pandemic hit and the idea of sitting in a stylist or barber's chair under someone's hot breath, uh, no. Saved a bunch of dough and for the only two people who ever even notice (wife, daughter), it's good tonic for their humors.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm just guessing but think it's better to get signs of aging gradually from an earlier age, so the losses are small and we get used to it?
I was still getting carded at 50+ by teen girls who flirted with me, even as my back pain told me to stop acting younger than I was.
Vanity is a fickle taskmaster!
I feel pretty broke down and am starting too look it more as well, but the look part was so long in coming and I think I'd just as soon look worse and feel better!
Still got most of my hair though and where it's gonna be gone is not yet revealed.

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
My hairline is holding in front, but I do have a burgeoning bald spot on top. I tried to ignore it for a long time because I couldn’t see it or feel it, but then I got married and I was somewhat embarrassed when we got the pictures back and it’s seemingly just an endless stream of pictures of my bald spot from different angles. It had been several years since I had the clippers out, but I've been doing a 9mm buzz ever since.

I do wear a baseball cap sometimes, but I'm getting old enough that it feels a little juvenile. But also, no one cares about that these days except the truly old folks who still remember a time when no one wore hats indoors (thanks for showing up for the thread, guys!). I briefly attempted wearing a flat cap (we took a trip to London and I didn't want to look like an obvious tourist), but it didn't take. I have a wide-brimmed straw hat, but I think it looks pretty silly for anything other than doing yard work.

idjster

VERY grateful member
Silver Supporter
I never had what would be called 'thick' hair, but it was plentiful. Now that time has marched on it has become a bit more sparse, but my family has always had good heads of hair, and I fit in right with them! I still have a good head of hair despite illnesses treatment of which can affect hair. Now I'm just letting it take its own path and it is getting longer. I have also always worn hats and still do. Doesn't seem to matter much. It has gone from quite dark brown, almost black, to all white.

What was the question again?

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My hairline started to recede and getting a bald spot in the back in high school. I though about it; my father was receding, and both grandfathers were bald on top. I got over it quickly.

I have just wisps of hair on top. I don't like hats, but I do wear them for sun protection and for cold. I've got nothing to hide, though.