Your hairline/do you wear a hat?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm 65 , no grey hair (yet) and I grow it really long well past my shoulders , this is not a vanity thing , I dont care if its long or short. I grow it and once every 2 years I cut it short and donate the hair to the cancer society to make wigs for cancer victims, I'm on my 9th run so far . I wish i would have thought of this sooner than I did, it costs me nothing and I can give a little dignity to those who are suffering

I never put crap in my hair and I dont wear a hat

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wear my old Dad's cap if I need a hat when going to town, kinda like taking the old man for a ride..

around the yard I use the Jack Daniels motor racing black cap....I think it came with the bottle one time..

DSCN4129.JPG

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I shave my face and cut my hair all at once, every few weeks. Very slow growing beard, thankfully. Buzz it all off. And I'd be thrilled if it never grew back. One less chore.

Generally no hats, except sometimes a wool watch cap in the week after I cut the hair, to keep my head warm.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I had killer hair genes until a year or so after high school, then the thinning out and receding was on, more so the thinning. Fast forward to my now mid 30’s the receding is taking hold pretty good. No prob for me because I started “buzzing” my hair a few years after I graduated solely for the simplicity aspect and that I was comfortable with what was coming/happening. I wear a hat sometimes mainly due to weather, super cold out or hot and sunny since I rock a almost shaved dome.

One of my Buddy’s I’ve known twenty years started to get blindsided with the receding and thinning out six months ago or so. I commented about it, made some jokes because what are good friends for? Shortly after for the first time in my life I saw him wear a hat. I think since then he wears a hat, possibly sleeps in one and showers with it as well lol. I said what are you smokey and the bandit now and only take it off for one thing?

I think he’s self conscious about it now, I told him just embrace it and buy your own set of clippers and dive into the buzzed look.

So do you wear a hat because of the same reasons? Are/were you self conscious about it
on my head?..no..it's the hair on my palms i find embarassing:lol:

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I was younger, a hat was for keeping the sun off your head... not an identity/fashion statement..

you just did not walk into a bar without taking your hat off... going out at night with a hat on was unthinkable ...

these days it seems like no one cares anymore what's on your head.... day or night,,,

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I was younger, a hat was for keeping the sun off your head... not an identity/fashion statement..

you just did not walk into a bar without taking your hat off... going out at night with a hat on was unthinkable ...

these days it seems like no one cares anymore what's on your head.... day or night,,,
I played music in a duo with a older friend.
We’d play senior living centers a lot.
My friend was (recently passed) about 15-20 years older than me.
We were at a gig once and he TOLD me to remove my hat.
I was forced to explain to him that I’m a 60 year old man (at the time), and I’ll do as I please, as I have since leaving my father’s house.
I also could have doffed my hat.
It bugged me being told.
Sometimes, unless you’re wearing a badge, or you’re my Dad, I don’t care what you think, or say.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can remember the days when you'd have to shout drinks for the bar if you sat and ordered your beer before taking your hat off..

though musicians on stage were exempt...;)

even the Salvation Army guy doing a walk through for a few donations would take his cap off...

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm 65 , no grey hair (yet) and I grow it really long well past my shoulders , this is not a vanity thing , I dont care if its long or short. I grow it and once every 2 years I cut it short and donate the hair to the cancer society to make wigs for cancer victims, I'm on my 9th run so far . I wish i would have thought of this sooner than I did, it costs me nothing and I can give a little dignity to those who are suffering

I never put crap in my hair and I dont wear a hat
That's a really good thing to do. Well done.
My youngest daughter did that last year.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I still have a full complement at 71. more than some guys that knew in high school back 1968. some guys ask what it is I'm putting in my hair and the answer is.... ahhhhh..... nothing. its a bit grey in spots but only use whatever shampoo my wife buys. I never really think about it. actually, now at C2 length I wish I didn't have as much. (ha ha, knock on wood) I like to think that if it started to fall out I would have the grace to deal with it and not care, but then... until it happens you never know.

I almost always wear a hat

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I can remember the days when you'd have to shout drinks for the bar if you sat and ordered your beer before taking your hat off..

though musicians on stage were exempt...;)

even the Salvation Army guy doing a walk through for a few donations would take his cap off...
Perhaps ironically, I take my hat off sometimes to show respect that I don’t really feel.
I am a respectful person.
I think showing deserved respect is wise.
Perhaps because I’m a Gemini, I see both sides of any discussion.
I expect Texas and Australia have many commonalities.
I hope to visit before I get too old.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I just like hats. Nice hats, either genuine Panamas or fur-felt. Stetson and Biltmore, mostly, with some Borsalinos too. One custom made hat that I really don't have any occasion to wear, but it is gorgeous.

And driving caps/Ivy caps/flat caps, but not ball caps (they don't fit me well).

It's just an added bonus that they protect/hide my somewhat bare pate.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've still got hair... so wearing a hat wasn't about the hairline thing...

some friends lost the top earlier and wore hats/caps/beanies to keep their heads protected/warm.... probably a good idea... ;)

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Widow’s peak since I was young. I think I was in grade 7 the first time I heard someone ask if I was balding. It kind of goes with the whole vampire look I guess.

Over the last few years I’ve let it grow long. It kind of hides it a bit. But I still don’t like garlic.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
buzz cut, trucker hat, beanie, or some sort of thinner golf hat. Because i like them. Also, i wish i had still had hair, but you have got to admit the benefits of buzz cuts. No more hair dresser, no more spending time drying hair, no more combing. So all in all, i am fine with being bald. I have got a bald attitude.

Last edited:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to work with a pretty hard-teasing crowd of guys on a golf course maintenance crew. Many nicknames were applied to people (one guy who limped was called “kickstand”; another guy with a lot of frizzy hair was called “220”).

My nickname eventually became either “hair helmet” or “Elvis.” Used interchangeably. It’s 25 years grayer now, but not any thinner. I rarely wear hats; hats would be redundant, except for in the coldest part of the winter.

However I was in two consecutive bands with the same drummer (1994-1999) and we practiced and gigged a lot...and I never once saw him without a hat on.
Oh nicknames... luke-emia skywalker, chrome dome, cue ball...

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I'm told I used to wear a different hat every day when I was very young. But ever since then, I feel that I look stupid wearing any kind of hat. I assisted electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick many years ago as a student. He has always had thinning grayish hair swept back. He wore a cool-looking fedora when outside. I found such a hat at a second hand shop, and then found another online. I looked great in them. I walked into class one day wearing one of these hats. The small class of composition students just exploded in approval. Which almost made me not want to wear it. Still very self-conscious wearing it or any other kind of hat. I can't even bring myself to wear it in public, feeling that the cooler I looked in the hat, the more affected the look seemed.

I'm going to make some videos playing blues. I've tried wearing different hats, but I look like a dick in them. It was worse when I wore sunglasses. Again, it was a cool look, but seemed kind of phony to me. So I'll be wearing no add-ons to my basic appearance. This includes necklaces and wrist-wear.

For my purpose, I'll be wearing simple stuff. I just don't have the confidence to wear a hat and shades indoors. But dang, would I look great in it. Someday...