1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'Your' guitar tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fenderdad1950, Dec 30, 2020.

1. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've always tried to emulate style rather than tone. I play too many different types of music to limit myself a particular sound. Having a few guitars to work with seems to help also

2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Pretty clean 90% of the time and fat...I have no use for 'glassy' tones.

GuitarGeorge likes this.
  3. JanOak

JanOak TDPRI Member

I've mainly used single coils into fender or fender voiced amps, Tele's and strats mainly. Ive always had a fascination with delay and echo probably stemming from childhood holidays with my nan. One of the entertainers at the holiday camp we used to go to each summer used to play a shadows set. I remember being quite taken with the echo on Apache. Something that's lasted all these years! My first love was The Clash, especially when they started playing different styles around London calling and Sandinista. Over the years I've drifted more towards Americana types of music. Favourite players that have no doubt influenced me greatly are Neil Young, Dave Gilmour, Bernard sumner and PW Long to name a few.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I work to maintain a whole catalogue of tones.
    And I practice in order to deliver them when needed.

The main thing is the song;
    Whether you and your band are playing covers, and you want to sound like the original record, or playing your own songs.
    What does the song dictate?

Bring that.

;)

P Thought likes this.
  5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Years ago my '76 Tele with original Joe Barden's from '90-'91.

Initially, the amp was a '72 Twin Reverb with Pyle speakers, and some compression, but the amp is long gone.

Now it's still the same '76 Tele with any amp; set pretty clean... and just a little hair.

Or, I also use a Fender TC-90 (SD P-90's) with any amp; pretty clean... with just a little more hair if I'm doing blues or rock 'n roll.

(Any amp, but usually a Pro Jr., or Cube 60... or both.)

lathoto likes this.
  6. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Jazzmaster into an ac30. I have a very weird style and everyone I jam with makes comments.

I do use a fair bit of post punk and noise rock element in my playing.

cyclopean likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I only wanna sound like me. Even when I’m playing covers.

I prefer mid-forward amps. Generally EL34 driven. Mostly from the Marshall school. That’s just the eq curve I prefer. I don’t go for anything scooped.

A gig rig/amp has certain criteria it must meet-

It must have enough clean headroom to play totally clean, with no breakup, at full band volume, un-mic’d. Anything less is a practice amp. A fun toy, but not really giggable. I do have some smaller amps that meet this criteria when used with the proper ext cab, or run tandem with another amp or amps.

It must have a master volume so that for gigs I need the amp to be on the edge or lightly broken up without being too loud, I can easily do it.

It cannot sag or compress much, if at all. I want full control of my dynamics.

Outboard FX are simple. For 90% of my gigs I don’t need anything more than a comp, an OD, a clean boost, and just a touch of reverb. Only enough reverb so that you don’t really even notice it until you turn it off.

The amp is never more distorted than edge of/very light breakup. Pretty much what many tube amp players would call their “clean” tone. Overdrive is usually very simple. An SD1 or derivative. Tone moves from 11-1 o’clock depending on mood/guitar. Gain never higher than 10 o’clock, and usually lower. Level set for a slight boost over the clean volume. A very slight boost.

mexicanyella, gabeNC and Chicago Matt like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Always wanted vintage overdriven blues tones at living room volume. Back when I started in the 70s pedals I tried would sound overdriven on the lower strings and clean on the top. I wanted the same amount of overdrive from low to high.

For guitars I ended up with vintage Strats and Teles and an ES-347.

For amps I went from Vibro Champ to Princeton Reverb to Rivera-era Super Champ to ‘66 Deluxe Reverb.

And for overdrive I tried a bunch but finally hit on a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive. It does the living-room Marshall thing I wanted.

And I spend all my time on the front pickup with a bit of standalone ‘64 Fender Reverb Unit.

The upshot is dynamic overdrive with great feel.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    19sixty3 and JanOak like this.
  9. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

My tone is clean neck pickup.

JRapp likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I only ever want to sound like the Beatles did on the White Album. When I'm fiddling with dials, that's the tone I'm searching for.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    M2roadwarrior and Stringbanger like this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh man, I’m with ya. I bought my American Deluxe Tele and Blues Junior on the same day (this passed July).

I plugged in and turned on, and my expectations were exceeded tenfold! I played songs for three hours that first night.

About the fifth night, I went to the basement and grabbed my pedal board.
    That lasted one night.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to using effects, or I wouldn’t have a pedal board. It’s just that this Tele/amp combo sounds good to me without adulteration. 554F4048-5516-46DC-9B3E-896EE7A5BBEA.jpeg 0B012FD0-FC22-4DBC-9D73-8CE27F6583E6.jpeg

12. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I was aiming for Vince Gill's tone. Ran out of money and talent, and started sounding like myself.

13. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There are a few I hear in my head, but I don't have them yet. Close, but not yet.

What complicates this is that no matter what I sound the same with every gear combination. I think I know what the problem is.

gabeNC likes this.
  14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

The nice thing about having multiple amps and guitars is that each gives you a different voice through which to express yourself. Why throw that advantage away in order to sound the same on all of them? My first decent amp (a after I took up guitar again) was a Fender Ultimate Chorus, which did one thing beautifully - cleans with a little reverb - and not much else. I still have it (down in the basement), and when I want the solid state clean-with-a-little-reverb thing, I haul it up out out of there. It'd be a waste of time to try and tweak an overdriven tube sound out of it: just not happening.

cyclopean likes this.
  15. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Can't speak for guitar players but "it's in the fingers" is definitely true for us bass players.

M2roadwarrior and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

I’m just beginning my journey myself. I’ve played electric bass and acoustic guitar for quite a while now, and just got my first electric guitar.

on bass, I prefer simplicity. I’ve come to learn I can get “my tone” out of just about anything with EQ, technique and pickup balancing; but it’s more intuitive and natural with a P bass and vintage-voiced amp.

For my first guitar, I landed on a Telecaster. I wanted a Fender-style to start, and was drawn to the simplicity (over a Strat.) Gibson-style seemed “too much” when overdriven; the Ric sound never really did it for me. I’m starting with blues and country, and a Tele just made sense to me.

As for amps, I’m playing a Rumble bass amp to get started, and it does a great job with guitar. I’ve always liked listening to players using Fender tube combos, so I imagine I’ll move in that direction eventually.

I do like the Gibson clean neck pickup sound, so I could see myself owning a modified Tele down the road

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

The gig dictates the required tone.
    Something that works in a guitar / bass / drums setting will most likely sound bad with a B3 and horn section.

JRapp and Call Me Al like this.
  18. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am certain that I am a product of my environment and all of the players that I have heard over the years. Although I never set out to sound like anyone. After all this time I always manage to sound like me. Presently I use a tube combo but I can certainly get a similar tone with a modeler, other than master volume I rarely touch a knob. I do believe the major portion of your tone comes from your fingers.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  19. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

The first time that I heard myself playing through, my buddies, Pignose Crossmix 150r with a Gibson SG loaded with p90's I knew that I had found my sound. After much research I learned that Paul Rivera designed and still owns the Crossmix design. I now own Three Crossmix's, and five Rivera amps. I still love P90's,but have gravitated back to humbuckers. I own many guitars: Fender Strats, Tele's, Jazzmasters, Jaguar's, Dean guitars, Ibanez guitars, Steinberger's, etc,... I leave my amp dialed in on the same settings and allow the sound of the guitars to provide their unique sound. I let my Tele's sound like Tele's and my LP's to sound like LP's.

;)

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

This has been a fun thread to read.

When I started, 80s, I had a Deluxe Reverb and a DOD distortion pedal. I used that for many years. later in life, picking up guitar again, I unsuccessfully tried many setups. Then, I got that same DOD pedal (kept by a family member) and found that plus any amp/guitar feels great. It is not a boutique or even desirable pedal for most but I guess it is now "my sound". Just what I was raised on in a way.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.