Your guitar that was stolen.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by trancedental, Sep 30, 2018.

1. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

I've just seen this old news story about a guy who had his vintage 1966 Rickenbacker stolen in '96 finally finding (& having to pay a high price) to get back his guitar. https://www.ocregister.com/2013/10/11/after-years-of-vigilance-guitar-player-gets-his-ricky-back/

Anyway it reminded me of my month old 1980 USA Fender Telecaster 3 colour sunburst, rosewood neck / black P.G. stolen by a scumbag with other gear from my house flat in '81. I worked hard to save the money for the first decent guitar I ever had. It was someone who moved out that day, never to be seen again. :mad:

It's the only Telecaster I ever had, I remember my guitar teacher at the time, telling me I was better off with a Strat anyway. o_O

When I did get a new '81 Strat afterwards after working long hours again & saving up, I never got on with it & sold it to get a vintage '63 Fender Jaguar. Seems that the only Strats I like are the pre CBS ones! The guitar teacher didn't want me to learn Hendrix, Beatles, Who & The Jam material anyway so that was the last of him!. :D

I know it's only a guitar but that old Tele still plays on my mind, even though I had it for 4 weeks or so. It appears that the late '70's Tele's didn't have as much changes made in their design from the early '60's as compared to Strats during the same period. So I'm considering building or doing a partscaster Tele in the same style when time allows. :D

Anyone else got any stolen guitar stories, about the guitars that you once owned which were robbed & disappeared without trace over the years? Maybe you got your old missing guitar back years later & it had a story to tell?

tery and DaphneBlue like this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My main gigging guitar for a while was a '92 Les Paul, which I always left at our bass player's house because we practiced there. Our drummer, who was not a meth-head when we met him, became one. That guitar ended up in a pawn shop without my knowledge; I found out later that the singer and bass player got it back for me. The drummer had disappeared. We never saw him again. In fact, I had to play drums at our final two gigs that were already booked.

3. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister

A very good friend made me a beautiful Tele, Don Mare pickups, a really great guitar. Another supposed friend begged me to borrow it for a run of gigs he needed a good tele for. Then he moved out of town, changed his phone number and blocked me from all his social media. Special place in hell for you, Ryan.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had my 1972 Gibson LP Custom, SF Twin, and floor toys stolen on the first of two consecutive break-ins, in 1999.
    Blessedly, my only other guitar, my avatar critter was “hiding” under the bed.
    Four years later, under weird circumstances, I bought it back, the LP only, for $400.
    The thieves stole everything of value my then GF and I owned, the first night.
    The next night, they stole my 4 year old daughter’s stuff.
    Four years after the robberies, the guy who sold me the guitar called me, and said he had my guitar.
    I would need to give him $400, not notify the RCMP, and not ask for details.
    I, perhaps foolishly, agreed.
    Strangely, when I got it back, it had a thick layer of dust on it, as if if was stored with the case open.
    It also still had my heavier than normal (12-54) strings on it.
    It apparently wasn’t stolen by a player.
    At the time, the theft actually put me out of business for a week or two.
    A friend sold me a good amp (Tube Works) for cheap on the easy-payment plan.
    It was a great sounding guitar.
    Wish I’d kept it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Mike SS, Jakedog, drf64 and 1 other person like this.
  5. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

My mother gave me a Martin Shennendoah. A USA made one. She went to a workshop and C.F. Martin IV was there and signed the case. Ya,they weren’t the top of the line,but a great player.
    Anyhow,I noticed the empty stand in my room and panicked. I called my son who was an addict and was stealing me blind. Of course he denied it.. I jumped in the car and raced to the pawn shop. Yup-my guitar already on display. I told him that guitar is stolen. He smirked and said file a police report and it’s yours. (He knew I wouldn’t,I’d been in there before demanding stuff back) so I scrounged up $375 and bought it. This happened three times and the third time I couldn’t afford it so it went bye bye.
    Please don’t judge me or him,until you’ve lived with an addict and experience the hell they put you through,you don’t really know.

Cheecharron, 6stringcowboy and drf64 like this.
  6. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

The thief that stole my guitar had hard drug issues at the time which I found out afterwards. It doesn't surprise me that other stolen guitar stories also have drugs involved.

Good to see that some posters got their guitars back, even if they had to pay cash to achieve that outcome.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd make that agreement & throw his a$$ under the bus. He doesnt get to negotiate.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe that's a good omen. That newspaper is less than 2 miles from my house. AND I have had 3 guitars stolen in this county. One from my storage last year!!! My Gibson EB3 and my Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty were stolen from my home in 1980. I still want the bass back. Don't care about the Les Paul but I surely would accept it if found. And my little Gretsch Americana I miss but will buy another when I see one. Effin thieves. Good news for that guy and his Ricky!

trancedental likes this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've been lucky over the years. I've only had a few mics and an amp head stolen, but I wouldn't pay anything to get any of 'em back. Back in the day when I used to play out, I kept a keen eye on my stuff, and the seldom I play out now, but when I do, I still a keen eye on my stuff, and I never leave gear anywhere overnight anymore.

richiek65 and brookdalebill like this.
  10. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I believe the theft recovery laws in the USA are different from those in Europe. For example, in the USA, if someone buys a stolen guitar, they have to return the guitar to the owner if it is discovered that the guitar is stolen. In Europe, if someone buys a stolen guitar from a thief, they can keep the guitar and the victim has to recover the value of the guitar from the thief. Maybe the laws in GB are more like those in Europe or more like the laws in the USA regarding theft. My understanding could be inaccurate or incorrect.

11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I had my 62 reissue Strat stolen twice. One from the van during a load out; I ran down the street as soon as I noticed it was gone, spied the presumably empty case dumped on a building site. Opened it up and she was still inside, no idea why they threw it away..

Years later my apartment was broken into while the Melbourne Cup was being run ( the whole country basically stops for this so the streets were deserted) . They took anything of value including the 4 guitars I owned at the time. I got them all back from pawn shops except the Strat..

That Strat had an incredible neck, back in the mid 80s, a guitar shop owner offered me AU$1000 to buy the neck, with the neck from his own Strat thrown in to sweeten the deal

12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

My Goya acoustic, my mic stand and mic were stolen from a buddy's trailer. He lost a bass that he'd just bought, a PA, and a bunch of other gear. I told him that it was one of his scum bag friends and he eventually came to agree.

I wasn't that upset about losing the guitar but if I saw someone with it there'd be a fight on principle. That principle bring "You stole from me, I'm going to beat your ass!"

troy2003 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  13. brookdalebill

Here’s the odd thing.
    I bought the guitar privately from a music store co-owner.
    It was his personal guitar, not his store’s.
    It cost $1200, 1998 Canadian dollars.
    I had it about a year before it was stolen.
    It had become my “go to” guitar.
    My avatar guitar was out of commission, it needed frets, so it was literally under the bed.
    How does the guy I bought it from get my stolen guitar back?
    I did file reports with the RCMP, both times.
    I assume the thief brought it into the guy’s shop, he recognized it, and somehow, he ends up taking possession of it.
    If I were him, I would have just taken it back.
    For some reason, he either paid the guy for it, or decided I needed to pay him $400 to get it back.
    Dunno.
    The store owner would not tell me where he got it.
    He knew I would confront the guy.
    Perhaps I shoulda called the RCMP.
    No perhaps about it.
    I never saw the Twin, or suitcase full of pedals, cords, mics, etc. again.
    Oh well, I learned a coupla hard lessons.

Jakedog and bender66 like this.
  14. brookdalebill

The flaw with that logic is that stolen guitars change hands often.
    By the time you find it, the guy who has it probably did not steal it.
    I’m grateful I only got ripped off once.

Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I get that. It's been too long.

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not long after I bought my current house (late 1994) it was broken into by four teenage boys. (seen by utility worker but never caught) They got two TVs, VCRs, clothing, cash, camera gear.....lots of stuff. They also got two basses (Fender MIJ Jazz and B C Rich) two guitars (MIJ Strat in burgandy mist metallic and my first Tele-type, a Samick Tele that sounded more like a Tele than many Teles) and a duffel bag with a lifetime's collection of Shure mics, dozens of cables, 10-12 harmonicas, all kinds of effects pedals, and a notebook of twenty years of song lyrics and notes...that bag had over $2000 worth of stuff alone. Fortunately, the kids had shut my dog in a back bedroom, where my #1 (at the time) a MIJ Strat, and all my amps were in a closet. They also got a bunch of 9mm ammo, but missed the Ruger P85 that used it. Luckily insurance covered just about everything, but it was a personal violation that stayed with me for years.

trancedental likes this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I posted above about my Les Paul being stolen, and our vocalist and bass player getting it back from the pawn shop for me. I just remembered that the same drummer also stole our vocalist's Bassman amp. The singer found it in the pawn shop near his house, but wasn't able to prove that it was his before the pawn shop sold it. I also remember that same drummer stealing 2 cymbals from the drum kit that was at our bass player's house (the bass player owned it). They had a heated confrontation about that, the vocalist and I looked at each other and said, "let's get out of here."

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  18. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

At least in Florida, if your stolen gear ends up in a pawn shop, even if you have proof that it was stolen and that it is yours, the police can't return it to you. You have to either (1) pay the pawn shop what they paid for your stuff or (2) file a ridiculous amount of paperwork, go to court (for which you might have to pay fees/costs) with the pawn shop as the defendant, the police will seize the property, and you might get it back. Most people just forego the three-month legal process and pay to get their own stuff back.

Seems the laws are in place to protect the pawn brokers. I mean, you wouldn't want them to take a hit for buying your stolen Tele, would you? Heck, they've gotta make a living!

I think I would go absolutely ballistic if, on top of getting my gear stolen, I found it in a pawn shop and had to pay to get it back!! How is this in any way legal??? In what alternate universe is it ok that I have to pay to get MY OWN STUFF BACK??? This happened to a friend of mine- he had a 1972 Les Paul custom stolen a couple of years ago. He found it a few weeks later in a used music store, and the guy wanted $500 to get it back. He had PROOF that it was his, but still paid the money just to avoid any hassle. This law sucks.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

So far (knocks wood) I've only lost one guitar, a black 1984 St. Blues Blues King III, a Strat type guitar with a bound flat top. I was doing sound for a concert and got home, possibly while the thieves were still in the house. I had two bicycles on hooks in the living room that could be seen from the outside. They were on the floor in the living room when I came in. I had deadbolt locks that you needed keys for to get in OR out, so they couldn't just open the back door and go out with them. They broke a window behind the swamp cooler to get in.

Since they couldn't get the bikes, they got some cash on a dresser, some odds and ends, the guitar, some PA gear that was in the guest bedroom where they exited out the window. The house had a secret closet that you had to take a bolt out to open. The rest of my guitars and gear that I wasn't using were stashed there or it could have been worse.

Word on the street was that the thieves were relatives of some people down the block who would come up from Mexico to Tucson to do a little "shopping." Nothing was ever recovered.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

You often hear about someone's 1st electric being a POS, but in the Summer of 1976 ( I'm 17, ready for college) I bought my first electric, a new goldtop Les Paul Signature
    (NOTE: not a popular model, like an offset 335, with Les Paul's preferred electronics- of course I did not know any of this then - it just said " Les Paul" on the headstock!)
    HSC, strap, cable, and SS Yamaha G50-112 amp, all for $500!

I took this stuff and my Nagoya N-28 ( a nice cheap Martin D-28 clone) to college I Erie, PA, and learned how to play ( jam, get in my first bands) over the next 4 years
    In the Fall of 1980 ( I stayed in Erie over Summer to take 1 more course I needed, jam with my band, and get married too!)
    The band I was in ( the other 3 guys lived in a house downtown, I lived with my girlfriend/wife) decided to host a.crazy-ass Halloween Party with the band playing in the basement- everything BUT my acoustic was down there along with everyone else's gear- had a hell of a party.
    We left everything downstairs setup after the party and a few days later, one of the guys, coming home from class in the PM went downstairs and just about all was gone- my gear, the other guitar players borrowed Strat, a bass amp head, and mics. Someone had broken in thru basement window, crawled in, stole our stuff ( including my Dynacomp.and DeArmond volume Pedal!) and left out basement door which led to exterior concrete steps
    I ( over time ) became a Fender player, and have never had the $$ to buy another Les Paul Signature, now that I kind of know what I'm doing, maybe someday!

trancedental and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.