Your Guitar(s) History

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by enrique710, Feb 25, 2011.

1. xlogit3k

xlogit3k TDPRI Member

I got my American Highway One when I was 11 years old for Christmas, by that time I had gone through a Washburn from Walmart and was already looking for something better. My parents came though and it has kept me happy for this long, I'm 19 now.

Back then all I cared about was looks and I didn't know what a set up was or how to tell if a guitar could play good or not. I got lucky and found a guitar that I absolutely love, I take it with me wherever I go.

Keep in mind if you are that young, A Fender Tele might be hard to learn on compared to an Ibanez or something with a small scale compared to a fender. Its still hard for me to hit some really big chords but my Fender pleases me way more than any other guitar I have ever played.

2. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

Why spend $200? You can't go wrong with a VOX Pathfinder 15R -- a great sounding amp for about $120 brand new!!! :D

3. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Friend of Leo's

+1. Would suggest this is a way better route for a beginner than a valve amp. My other suggestion would be something like one of the Vox Valvetronix amps (AD30VT etc) just 'cos that gives a variety of tones, and sounds good at low volumes. They'll both keep you going for some time and give you an idea what you want when you can move on.

Wish I'd had that much money when I started. My first was a Hohner strat that cost £60. No amp as I didn't have that much cash so I built one out of an old stereo which sounded awful...

4. Stratavarious

Stratavarious Tele-Meister

Within the specs being discussed, is there an amp with an effects loop???

5. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

if you get a SS amp, a tube amp sounds so much better when you get one. $700! i had to sell my stuff at a yard sale to buy a cheap bass! a whole lotta car washing and snow shovelling etc bought me a tele

lucky boy :D

6. Grit

Grit Tele-Holic

I got a job as a bagger when I was 14, getting paid around a buck an hour, plus the occasional tip if I was carrying bags out to the car, so I could save to buy an electric guitar.

My first electric guitar was a 1961 LPB Fender Strat that I paid $125 for, with a little Silvertone amp. It was pretty much as new when I got it, (the woman I got it from said her son hardly touched it) and I was so pleased with myself that I had been able to buy it without having to bug my parents.

I still have it (well, my son has 'borrowed' it), and will never sell it. I just wish I still had all the case candy, and the case.

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

If you've locked in a style or tone, then be picky about the amp. Otherwise start with a modeler and experiment until you find it. Then get picky. As a practise amp I can't say enough good things about the GDEC or Mustang Fender amps with all the Fender Fuse software amp models and backing tracks available on line. There are others as good for sure. The Squier CV would have my vote to begin with as you can upgrade it easily and out of the box it isn't bad. Good luck and thats a great starting budget - save a few bucks for strings.

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay I owned more guitars than I could ever recall to name but there are a few important ones.

My very first guitar was a nylon string acoustic I got for Christmas, I can't for the life of me recall what year I got it or what brand it was but it came apart at the seems and my music teacher urged my mom to get me a proper guitar.

Which was my Aria Pro 2 AK 200 which she bought me in 1986, I still have that guitar and it will never leave me.

My First electric was a cheap Rockson branded Jackson-style pointy headstock number which I bought of my own pocket money at my 12'th birthday. I played that for a couple of years until I discovered a little thing called "Trading" in which I could trade in a guitar for another at the music shop, I have been doing that constantly eversince which explains how I have owned over a hundreds guitars.

My third electric guitar is by far the most important one of all: my 1989 Squier "The Veteran"
    [​IMG]
    Here I am in 1991 playing one of my very first live gigs using my then new Squier.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is in 1995 when I left house and started living on my own.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is in 2007
    [​IMG]
    And here I am last year using it in the studio.

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My first was a 1963 Kapa Cobra $119 new kind of a middle of the road guitar for quality. But as for “ What Path” I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is they shop for a brand shop for a guitar that feel right for you, now that might be a big name brand but don’t count out the smaller Companies some give you a very good instrument for a reasonable price. One good example is Carvin guitars you just have shop around. As for that first Guitar Hang on to it don’t sell some day you’ll be 59 and know why.

Attached Files:

10. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Hey Blazer---

One of my fave Strats is an "E7" Squier/Fender Strat and it cost me $58 !
    I think it is one of the "Made in Japan" models but with a "Made in Korea" decal on the headstock. I put different pickups in mine. What serial number does yours have ??
    Love the red colour on yers...mines black.
    Brian. I

11. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

If you really really really want it,it will come.No one can predict what,when,or how,but it will.Saving up money gifts is a good start,and so is getting some kind of little job as soon as someone will give you one,and saving up from that.As to which brand or model,there are many many choices out there and nearly all of them are good.Which one is best for your needs gets determined by your knowledge of what you need and want.If I were asked how to choose,I'd say buy with the intent of keeping that axe for the rest of your life,and get the absolute best quality you can afford.Keep it clean and learn how to keep it adjusted.
    The most important thing IMO is to concentrate on doing what you CAN do.What you CAN do at any age is learn.Study that guitar as hard as you can and learn everything you can from every player you can.The better you can play,the cooler the toys you get to play with.

And SacDave is dead-on about keeping your first guitar.If you do,many years from now,a geezer version of you will thank the present version for giving him something he cherishes.
    Me,I'm annoyed with the kid pictured left.He let my first electric(also pictured left) slip away.

Attached Files:

12. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Dave Hopping--
    Thanks for posting that. I really wish I had my first guitar [St. George]. It was traded for a Gibson Firebird I which was later stolen [I really wish I had THAT one, too!!]
    Brian.

13. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

The Pawnshop can be your friend.

14. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

My Mama told me, you better shop around...

15. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like talkbass on here :bassist:

16. Slider 212

Slider 212 TDPRI Member

Well, by "in the old days" I'm talking 90s, but anyway, here is what I wouldn't suggest you do - buy a guitar from a large catalogue-based company that sell starter packs just because they sell everything else you can imagine. Although cheap; they are not great value for money and are not built that well ...

My first acoustic was one such example. It was eventually out-of-action after the plastic (fake pearl?) tuner heads completely crumbled off the metal shafts. It wasn't worth the cost/time/effort to replace the tuners on such a bad guitar, and tuning up using pliers is an indignity I would wish on no-one, so I went 'Pete Townshend' on it (I wouldn't / don't smash guitars that are in any way still playable).

... another top tip - wearing shades whilst smashing a guitar is practical as well as cool. Guitar-shrapnel in the eye negates the coolness of smashing a guitar in the first place!

Being a bit stupid, my first electric was also from the same catalogue company (budget won over common sense). I swear the 'fretboard' was just the flat side of the balsa wood neck dipped in wood stain (there's an idea for a thread - maple vs rosewood vs wood stain)! That guitar was at least playable, so was later handed on to a beginner. The amp from the starter pack had a cool feature though - built-in distortion ... when you turned the volume or tone knobs, regardless of if you were on the clean or overdrive channel!

Anyway, as for some actual advice, Yamaha make good cheaper guitars. I still have a Pacifica I purchased years ago. The pickups and hardware are so-so, but the build quality and playability are not too far off the guitars I have that cost 10 times as much. I haven't tried a Squier in ages, but they get pretty good reviews on the forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.