Your Geographic Criteria?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jan 21, 2017.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not in a flood plain and not on a fault line. Other than that I'm very open minded as long as there's air to breathe.

syrynx likes this.
  2. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

soulman969 likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mine are bout the same as yours, and so is my wife. She never directly says, but would like to live in the South. I can't abide the region as a place to live (no offense to anyone, really, it's more about the trees than anything else), so we live in the middle. Which is also where we lived when we met. So, inertia. Dang it.

My second choice after the North is the northwest, but not so much coastal. Cascades.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Hills, trees, good walking, animals, quiet.... and cricket.

Hah! Just as I type this England cricket team have just lost another wicket against India.

beagle likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Thanks for reminding me. These early starts, so I've missed 100 runs and 2 wickets? :mad:

Lets see, I like a place that is grey and damp in summer and cold grey and damp in winter, which is just as well.

Roll on cricket season ...

6. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Mine would be tree's around my home, and neighbors close but not that close! I grew up in rural Missouri. Now, still in Missouri, lived in towns most of my life. Just want to go back home, to the family farm.

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Employment. There must be a way to make a decent living.

8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I understand this need.

Stratohacker likes this.
  9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Far from the madding crowd

Doug 54 likes this.
  10. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta have distinct seasons, esp cold and snow

11. denosaur

denosaur TDPRI Member

I like the smell of cow**** and having nothing to do in the winter , Yorkshire countryside then.

12. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

I spent a lot of years on the west coast, where we had a bit of everything, climate-wise. If it was too hot in town, you could go up into the mountains and go sledding, or go to San Francisco or Monterey Bay where it's cool in the summer anyways. I liked the variety there!

13. Slidocaster

Slidocaster NEW MEMBER!

The Front Range in Colorado.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Damn nice in Fort Collins. If you have to live in a city, there's lots worse.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, there's got to be plenty of Public Spaces; places to hike and ride bikes and paddle around in a boat.

The #1 screwed up thing about Texas is, most folks have no realistic, easy access to places to recreate - no substantial public lands nearby. I'm quite confident in camping around Ft. Davis and in Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Lost Maples, etc., I've spent far more time outdoors in Texas than the average resident of that state today has.

Once upon a time when there were fewer people there, and way more people you met were Texan born, and hospitality was plentiful, you could meet people and be friendly enough with them within hours and they'd invite you to camp on their land. Now, that land is a huge residential subdivision or shopping mall. There's just something fundamentally weird about a state about "wide open spaces" where most denizens there don't partake of anything to do with open space. Texas doesn't have any more hikers or overnight campers per capita than Rhode Island does, and that's simply a shame.

16. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

Not hot and especially humid as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TDPRI mobile app

17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm never satisfied in any one place:

I loved the big city, NYC, because of the people and food, but it's unlivable in so many ways.

I love South Florida, but I miss mountains, great food, and more invigorating AIR.

I love the snow, beauty and frozen lakes I see in movies like Grumpy Old Men (Wisconsin?), but I don't think I could survive more than one winter.

Adore the Pacific Northwest, but too $$$, cold and rainy at times.

The grass is always greener, I guess.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Southern Europe - alpine mountains, cliffs and beaches, karst landscapes, ancient rustic villages, wine and fresh bread. And a good coffee everywhere.

Living within a circle around northern Italy, Western Austria, Switzerland, French alps and French southern coast, and all of Iberia would suit me. I need mountains and I need dramatic coasts but cities I would just visit.

I did find New Zealand an almost perfect geographic microcosm when I toured there many years ago. Sail to tropical islands from the beach one day from Auckland and be alpine climbing Mount Cook the next with some Yellowstone like hot springs in between.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  19. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Having only studied it's climate, Barcelona seems to be perfect for me weather wise.

I could probably learn Spanish and teach English...

Dang

Time to move!

teleaddicted likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have less wanderlust than anyone I know. I've only lived in three states: northern California, southern California, and Oregon. I guess my criteria would include tall green trees, gentle climate, and good water supply. I've lived here on the southern Oregon coast for almost 40 years, and I enjoy very much that we can walk the dogs on the beach or through the woods a couple-three times a week. A stronger economy would have been nice I guess.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.