1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your first superbowl memories

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MojoTrwall, Jan 18, 2021.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Got to go to SB-IV at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, KC VS. Vikings. It was only memorable because they tried to re-enact the Battle of New Orleans and someone got hurt when they shot off a cannon. Typical of the kind of stuff they did in New Orleans at pre-game and half-time. They had Ostrich races that slammed some guy into the stands, dragged a hot-air balloon basket through the stands and had a couple sky-divers miss the stadium. All that with Al Hirt and Pete Fountain playing.

My first memory would be Namath for sure.

More memorable game was the Saints vs. Detroit and Dempsy kicking the 63 yard field goal to win the game and Alex Karras throwing his helmet almost as far in disgust.

getbent and lammie200 like this.
  2. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My first was SB #1. But my most memorable was #3 - Jets stun Colts.

3. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

My dad wasn't a football fan (loved baseball). I think the first one that comes to mind is the Steelers vs Rams in 1980. Can't recall if I watched the game since no memorable plays come to mind.

4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

There was a big Family party (40 people maybe) that coincided with Chiefs vs Vikings. Super Bowl 4 in 1970.
    I watched it alone lying on the floor.

I don’t recall watching III, but I do remember watching the Heidi Bowl, and the pre game schoolyard arguments over the AFL / NFL.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. mark53

mark53 Tele-Meister

My first was Super Bowl 1. I remember that Lombardi got messages from every coach/ owner in the NFL telling him they had to win. There was a huge rivalry between the leagues back then. Lombardi said it was the most pressure he had ever faced in his career.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I vaguely recall Super Bowl IV in 1970 when the Chiefs defeated the Vikings, mostly what I recall is my Dad watching it and not quite grasping what it was all about. All the kids at school wanted to be Lenny Dawson and Scholastic books had a book you could buy later with him on the cover. I bought one...wish I knew where it went.

Hopefully we'll get Championship #3 if Mahomes can stop those little stars and birds from circling around his head after getting his bell rang last Sunday, and is cleared to play.

7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve seen every one. I was a little kid when the first one was played, but I’d already been a Colt fan for a couple years. Hated the Packers at the time, but I watched them beat the Chiefs and then Raiders. My memories of those games are a little sketchy, but I remember they were NOTHING like the extravaganzas we’ve seen for quite a while now. My first really distinct memories are from the third one, when Namath and the Jets beat my Colts - I was 8 or 9 years old and I was beyond devastated. Took me a long time to get over that one. Probably until they beat Dallas on a last second field goals couple years later. That wasn’t much of a game though, aside from the ending. I’m not sure I’ve STILL gotten over that ‘68 game...

I only saw parts of a couple games when I was in college in the late ‘70s, but I saw at least parts of every one and every minute of all but a few. Never been to one, though. Haven’t been to an NFL game since the early 80’s.

-Ray

8. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My earliest memory is a late Colts field goal to win Super Bowl V. Wow, I thought, these Super Bowls are all gonna be nail biters, this is great!

buster poser likes this.
  9. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

I must be remembering the Battle of New Orleans injury wrong. I had graduated from college by 1971. That fall, my brother was playing in the La. Tech band when they were invited to play the halftime show at a Saints game in Tulane Stadium. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong incident involving a cannon, but it seems that one of the re-enactors had his hand shot off during the halftime show when a cannon was fired.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

That was the incident.

"Shows during the first Super Bowl in New Orleans had several incidents of misfortune. During a pre-game show at Super Bowl IV in 1970 between the Vikings and the Chiefs at Tulane Stadium, a hot-air balloon ferrying a helmeted Viking failed to gain altitude and crashed inside the stadium. Fortunately, it never made it to the stands where thousands of people were sitting. The Vikings mascot was not seriously injured. The halftime show was billed as ''The Battle of New Orleans'' and one of the performers severely injured his hand firing a cannon."

SBIV.JPG

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Listening to Super Bowl II on the radio because it didn't sell out and was blacked-out on TV in Miami... where I grew up.

Same with SB III.

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am from St Louis. I recall the tackle on the two yard line that clinched the St Louis Rams win over the Tennessee Titans.
    I know I watched many years before that but nothing sticks. I liked the commercials and the food more than the game. It is a fun weekend.

13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Heh. This January 1976 cover of Sport magazine sums up far too many Super Bowls:

[​IMG]

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, Steelers v. Cowboys. And it will be stuck in my memory forever by this beauty (which came with the two teams when it was sold that year).

steelers.jpg

I got it for Christmas, and the kid across the street also got one for Christmas. He went on to own several of the teams that you had to buy separately. I went on to throw mine out after my dad accidentally stepped on it a few months later. Also, that kid sucked at sharing.

VWAmTele likes this.
  15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm 61.
    I remember them all.

I may have been deployed with the military, and heard them over the transistor radio on AFN, or read about them the next day in the Stars And Stripes, but they have all been memorable to me.
    I was the biggest NFL fan, ever.

Until just a few years ago, when certain things became acceptable to everyone else, but not acceptable to me, and then so I just semi-stopped paying all that much attention.
    I was forced to put the NFL more or less at arms length.
    For my own sanity and integrity.

But from the very first few NFL versus AFL Championship games into the first Superbowl, and right on to 2015 or 2016 or so, I was a serious fan.

Are they having one this year, or is the covid thing going to put the kibosh on it?

:oops:

16. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

11 years old and watching with my best friend. Two 2 liter sodas and a bag of chips. We were rooting for the losing Patriots. It's weird to think now that I would bet against the '85 - '86 Bears.

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I had one of those! All the men headed directly for the sideline as soon as you switched it on :)

JuneauMike likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

danny abramowicz (well me playing him in the backyard) caught many touchdowns at our house.

djh22 and telleutelleme like this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember the Colts vs the Jets; Unitas vs Namath. Just looked it up and it was Super Bowl III in January 1969. I would have been five.

20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I just saw this on my Twitter feed:

super_70s_sports_01-19-2021.JPG
    And how! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.