1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your first superbowl memories

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MojoTrwall, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I think that's my first real Super Bowl memory as well. That was the conclusion of the 1977 NFL season, during which McDonald's published these, which I used as a sort of crash course to get up to speed with the previous Super Bowls:

[​IMG]

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  2. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jets beat the Colts on a sucky Sunday in '69.
    Not my first but it was the worst.

getbent and Tommy Biggs like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

69. I was 9. George Sauer, Matt Snell, Don Maynard, Mike Battle. The Colts didn't have everyone's favorite qb johnny unitas playing... but they had john mackey, mike curtis, bubba smith... So, exciting... a few weeks before, the Rose Bowl had been the first thing like that where I'd met some of the players... the USC team had OJ Simpson (who I'd gotten to meet in 68, Steve Sogge, one of the greatest college baseball catchers I'd seen, Sam Dickerson, Bob Klein, Mike Holmgren was on that team, Bob Chandler, who let me catch a pass at practice... and the amazing John McKay.

Ohio State had John Brockington who was a BEAST for the Packers... we hated Rex Kern, their QB, a helmet full of buckeyes from doing awesome stuff... later he'd be a db for the Colts. The Buckeyes also had Jim Stillwagon and the big hitter Jack Tatum.

SC got crushed that day and we were sad. Joe Namath found a way to win in a game that kept making me go out to play catch with my neighbor Biff Bausch who was the biggest Dallas Cowboys fan in the world. His family came to California because his sister was a figure skater.....

So many super bowls after that were so thrilling... but, that was the first one that I vividly remember.

MickM, Stubee, rcole_sooner and 2 others like this.
  4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

How difficult was it learning the rules of the NFL? This was pretty much me in real life as a teenager raiding the school library to try and make sense of the game:

uriah1 likes this.
  5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

I've played rugby for quite sometimes and I used to be a very tricky player I enjoy learning rules, especially when they can leads to outcome.

Since it's basically in both case ground game I had a background even if I mainly knows basic rules.

For instance in rugby a true moment of genius was this :

But whiny crybaby whined about it not being rugby.

Édit : a lot of you quotes superbowl 69.

Btw what I did not knew at the time of superbowl 04' is that it caused a really huge controversy (I wasn't aware of moral television restriction in the US as a child obviously) but I was 10 and we laughed so much about seeing a whoopsy nipple in classroom because it was shown everywhere in Gossip !

6. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Superbowl XIX! It's the first Superbowl I can recall being broadcast live on British television. It was the first American Football game I ever saw. Obviously, it was all about Montana vs. Marino and I picked Joe and the Niners as my team for the match. It has been that way ever since.

7. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

That's really early, I assume first broadcast is around 2006 here ?

8. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

According to Wikipedia, it was actually the third SB to be broadcast live. Didn't realize that (or I might have ended up a R*dskins/WFT fan :eek: ):

Overseas broadcast
    Shown on Channel 4, the XIX Super Bowl was the third to be broadcast live and in its entirety in the United Kingdom.

9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

You forgot Emerson Boozer (great name!) of the Jets, and Lenny Moore and Tom Matte of the Colts. Also, even tempered Woody Hayes as thee Ohio State coach.

Tommy Biggs and getbent like this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It’s been a long time but I’m sure we (dad & myself) watched the Green Bay v Kansas City game. College football was more prevalent than Pro football where I lived.

Super Bowl III was the first real playoff game with the NFL as I recall

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I don’t follow the NFL. I prefer college ball and that mostly is limited to the SEC.
    But still
    Earliest memories of the Super Bowl would be the popularity of the Dallas Cowboys. That Was probably the mid 70’s.
    Then again when the Saints won a while back was fun. It was a big deal around here.

12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Super Bowl X , Pittsburgh and Dallas. Dad grew up near Pittsburgh so I caught his enthusiasm. Do remember a girl I had a crush on was a Dallas fan so naturally I caught her attention. Ahhhh Middle school , a weird but fine time.

13. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

You have to remember that the American Football League, which started in 1960, was a separated entity, independent of the National Football League. The AFL merged with the NFL in 1970. Teams in the AFL made up the American Football Conference, and the NL teams made up the NFC, except for the (then) Baltimore Colts, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Cleveland Browns (the team that is now the Baltimore Ravens).

The first three games were played between the champions of two separate leagues that were independent of each other. Teletucson is correct in that the first ones were not called "The Super Bowl."

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I just remember I would get in trouble
    if I walked in front of the rabbit ears during
    the game. I think it was all snowy anyway..lol

The next one I remember, was in early 70s. Went to a
    superbowl party. It was so bloody cold (minus 20 something with wind)
    that a few guys broke their keys car trying to get in.

15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

meh.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Super bowl VII. It was an accident, we didn't watch pro ball in my house. I sat down and flipped the Magnavox on while taking a chores break, and watched the last half. We had 3 UHF channels at that time. I had to quit watching pro ball a few years ago.

17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

super bowl 7...the bills had oj run for 2003 yards that year...thats when i was getting in football seriously

getbent likes this.
  18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I had just returned to the US from Germany, where I had been attending college, and pro football was the last thing on my mind. On January 14, 1973, I had car trouble and took it into the local gas station/service shop. While I waited for the repairs to be completed, I heard the local team playing on the radio in what I learned was the championship game: Super Bowl VII.

It wasn't until a few years later that my interest in football rose. I became a long-time Washington Redskins fan until their ownership changed and destroyed the franchise. I did watch them win three Super Bowls during their heyday, however.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too, guaranteed. My sister ran into the man at the Indianapolis airport, and had him inscribe his autograph on a scruffy old softball to me. I still have it.

I was glad the Jets won, but I was still smarting over my Raiders' loss in the Heidi Bowl.

Tommy Biggs, Daddydex and getbent like this.
  20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I was mad about that too!

Dan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.