1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your first superbowl memories

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MojoTrwall, Jan 18, 2021.

1. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Since we're one match away from superbowl let's share our first superbowl memories !

The first was for obvious reason the 2004 one and you'd guess why !

I have to say NFL increased in popularity in France, not that it's THE american hyped sport, it has to go with NBA since french do play quite a lot of basket (and don't do that bad in FIBA basketball) but still

And the first I've went to the end of 4th was the 2013 one.

I don't watch an US broadcast tho, I do tolerate it with NBA because there's less ads but damn why so much cheap junk food, and 3450 mensuality for Chevrolet SUV ?

Usually they do talk a bit more about the game itself here, so it's less a pita to watch.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Old Plank likes this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Watched the very first with my brothers and Dad. We had a fire in the fireplace and my Dad roasted a rabbit to snack on. We lived in a house on Murray Ave in the Bronx. Didn't miss any until I moved to Mexico in the late 80s. Edit in...on a black and white 19" TV

Old Plank, Tommy Biggs and MojoTrwall like this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I remember when it wasn’t so popular. A lot of people were confused and called it the Sugar Bowl. Yeah, that really happened.

Tommy Biggs and Bassman8 like this.
  4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Isn't it super popular since it's creation ?

I know NBA had trouble years in the 70's before the Stern Era but I thought NFL was popular since the 60's and O.J era.

5. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I very vaguely remember the Steelers beating the Seahawks in 06. I was 5 at the time. The first Super Bowl I have intense, vivid memories of was three years later when the Steelers beat the Cardinals in 09. James Harrison with the pick six before halftime, Santonio Holmes with the toe tap in the endzone to put the game away.

Old Plank likes this.
  6. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

And you grew up with Giants victory I guess ?

7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

No early Super Bowl memories for me, cause those Steelers and Bills kept the Oilers out of them.

telleutelleme likes this.
  8. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I remember the second one well, the first one I have a few memories of. I'm not a Giants fan so I didn't care as much when they were in.

9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Earliest Super Bowl memories revolve around small details like queso dip and chips (velveeta and rotels, no doubt) as a small child ... Super Bowl traditions didn't begin in earnest until my wife acknowledged my love of the sport and that I'd follow the playoffs through the Super Bowl even if I didn't have a dog in that fight as a life-long Chiefs fan.

Our first Super Bowl together was the Bucs vs the Raiders in a season that saw me scarfing down Beef O'Brady's hot wings during my first preseason Bucs game and telling her that they had a real shot to win it all ... many ups and downs later and she's making the hot wings for their first Super Bowl win in team history ... Ever since we do at least something for the Super Bowl because we've both been many years without our team winning and any excuse for a feast is a good excuse. I suppose it will be a Civil War should the Bucs face the Chiefs again this year, despite her sworn devotion to the Chiefs and her contempt for Tom Brady ... hard to cheer against your home team, even when your stadium was nothing more than a bat sanctuary.

Old Plank likes this.
  10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I remember watching the championships before there was a Super Bowl. I’m old. I asked the doctor the other day, “Doc, how much longer do you think I’ll live?” He looked at me and said, “Don’t buy any green bananas.” Whew, I’m old!

11. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Broadway Joe.

Dan

Old Plank, TCA117, P Thought and 2 others like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Watching the Jets beat the Colts in my friend Lo’s basement with Tommy, Pete, Ernie, Grub, Rock, Midge and a bunch of other high school friends. I was not a big football fan back then and while I of course knew who Joe Namath was—he was truly bigger than life—I didn’t know quite how big of a deal the Jets win was. My friends sure did; they went wild!

Lo got me into his KOTH group many years later and I started watching a ton more football, and it stuck. I love a good game.

Old Plank, getbent and TeleTucson like this.
  13. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

When I was very young, Dallas vs Denver.....Roger Staubach was the man! Tom Landry walking the sidelines, no emotions, lots of pressure.

Old Plank and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

As far as I know the first couple of Super Bowls were a bit more than a blip on the radar. College football bowl games dominated New Year’s Day. The college football champion would be determined and there were 5-7, or so, bowl games on New Year’s Day to determine the final rankings.

Most of the times it was anticlimactic because the team that ranked first during the season may play a team ranked 5th or 6th. So while the bowl games were interesting often times they didn’t mean much unless the number one got knocked off or your favorite team jumped ranks by winning against a team that ranked higher. Neither happened very often, but maybe some form of that would happen on New Year’s Day and people watched a lot of football that day to follow their favorite team to see if it would.

Cut to the NFL. Before the SB the championship games for both conferences would be played closer to the end of the season. That was maybe early December. Incidentally there is a history of how the SB plays the champions of the NFC and the AFC. In any event once they started the SB and had the game in early January (I think that it may have even been the first Sunday after New Year’s Day) a lot of people had already had their fill of football.

The SB really picked up steam after the third one when Joe Namath predicted that his underdog NY Jets from the upstart AFC would beat the favored team the Baltimore Colts from the older and more traditional NFC. Once people realized that the old guard of the NFC could fall the popularity rose. Namath became very popular as well.

Sorry for the long answer. The USA seems to be losing some national treasures. Let’s hope the NFL isn’t one of them although even supporting it has become somewhat polarized.

Edit: I think that there were only 4-5 original college bowl games before we got the Weedeater and Cheetos types of sponsored bowl games. They were the Cotton, Sugar, Orange, Rose, and (maybe?) the Fiesta Bowls. (Maybe the Fiesta Bowl came a little later?) The invites were somewhat based on the regional college conferences and one of them would crown the national champion.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  15. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I vaguely recall being at my grandparents house late enough to see the first quarter once, but all I remember is that it happened. Maybe the Broncos, late ‘70s?

First game I honestly remember was the year my home team for the first time, and they got pummeled by a team they’d manhandled during the season. I’m can’t remember if it was the 1980 season or the game was in 1980, but the Eagles got embarrassed. That Raiders had their number and just pasted ‘em.

Old Plank likes this.
  16. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My favorite team was the KC Chiefs (the AFL with its colorful uniforms and field markings was so much more appealing to young kids) vs the the Green Bay Packers in 1967 in the first AFL-NFL Championship - not called the 'Super Bowl' at that time. It was like men against boys as the Packers ran all over the Chiefs. Not much fun for me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Old Plank, djh22, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Steelers beating the Cowboys in 1976. I was about 12 and a huge Steelers fan. I even had a Steelers jacket. Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, the Steel Curtain and my Dad. Good times.

I'm no longer a Steelers fan but I still love to see the Cowboys lose!

Old Plank likes this.
  18. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Super Bowl III, 1969, the first one to bear the official name, "Super Bowl". Some kid in our junior high was so cocky that he was taking bets with big odds against the Jets. I figured nobody could be that certain so I, and a bunch of other kids, took him up on the bets. When Broadway Joe did his thing, that poor kid lost a *lot* of $$, especially for a junior high kid.

19. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first - 1965 I think. NFL vs AFL (Two leagues). Green Bay won, I forget who lost - I think it was the Jets. We were watching at my grandad's place in Florida.

Green Bay was such a powerhouse in the mid 60's. Their "two-minute drill" was amazing and they pulled lots of games out of the hat with that one.

20. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Plenty of different answers I find it very instructive since it resume sport reception through time but sports tradition seems to be Universal.

That's what I love with this forum, some here probably have seen Chamberlain Russell rivalry too !

I guess only other memories that I can compare with is soccer World cup final and World cup in general, they're pretty unique.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.