Your First Stomp Box

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Washburn Stack-in-a-box. Bought it off a mate at school for $10 in 94 or so. From memory, a horrible dirt pedal but it did allow me to practice being a bedroom rock god. Not long after I saved up the pennies and bought myself a brand spanking new MT-2. Phwoooaarrr!! :cool:

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

1987. Still in use today.

[​IMG]

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

TS-9 from the mid-80's. I fried it with the wrong voltage adapter.

4. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

Exactelly the same as me!:lol: it was 1988 or 89...

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

One of these. I'm still using it (not the same one unfortunately).

[​IMG]

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

MXR Phase 90, followed shortly thereafter by a square button Tube Screamer, back in the day.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I got 3 all at once for christmas. First was a ts-9 then a boss CS-3 and my uncle donated an Ibanez pdd1. I stole my brothers Morley distortion/wah/volume and proceeded to get down right psychedelic through my Rogue 15 w solid state practice amp with my 15 year old self.

8. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

Since I had been primarily a bassist, my first pedal was this super boutique Owen Electronics (English manufacturer) Bass Bomb Driver:
    http://www.owenelectronics.co.uk/owen-bass-effects/

I bought it about ten years ago, after a while I had started looking after a good overdrive/distortion for bass....very good pedal indeed....still, I think it's better to start with some basic learning curve even with pedals choices, and proper settings and capabilities with more common gear

Attached Files:

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Foxx Fuzz-Wah-Volume that I found in a pawn shop for something like ten bucks. Pot was a bit scratchy, but the fuzz section, a Tone Machine with an "Octive" switch, killed. And it was covered with purple fuzz.
    I have no idea what happened to it...

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

• Orange plastic Kay fuzz (w/ a treadle like a wah)

• Blue fuzzy Foxx Tone Machine

• Musitronics Mu-Tron III

• Jax Siren Surf Wah

- 70s

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Old Ross dist and a Smallstone fuzz

12. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

it was a boss hyperfuzz. I didn t know you weren t supposed to play chords with that fuzz, and it was all nasty sounding. I should have kept it and tried to play lines. Too late !

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Original DOD 250 Gray...my guitar teacher was cleaning out some stuff so he gave me that and a big box green MXR Analog Delay. I was a kid...the 250 wasn't metal enough and I had no idea how to make the delay sound good. lol...hindsight!:rolleyes::(

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Around 1986 or so, I decided I needed a distortion pedal for my bass rig. I don't remember why, but I was probably trying to get the "raging SVT" tone from my little Rickenbacker 1 x 15" solid state amp. I went to Crazy Ed's music in Portland, Maine and tried everything they had. The first three or four all had that cheesy '80s metal tone and didn't work at all. I explained to the guy what I wanted, and he came back with a TS10. "The older version was better, but this should do what you're looking for" he told me. It was indeed the only thing I tried that actually sounded like a cranked amp and not a box of bees (I do remember they didn't have a Rat). I used it for a couple years until it got lost in a move, then I wound up with a Rat, which was WAY better.

15. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

80's DOD Stereo Phasor, that walked off after a jam.
    I was chasing Randy Rhoad's sound but did not know the difference between flanger and phasor at the time.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I had one of these (though it wasn't labelled as an Ibanez), a big old school fuzz/wah pedal my guitar teacher sold me for cheap. Stepping on this the first time was a total revelation. I had a ball with it.

[​IMG]

17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Lafayette Fuzz Sound. It sounded good to me as a 15 year old in 1970, but when I bought one off ebay last year it sure sounded like ****.

[​IMG]

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

MXR Phase 90. I wish I still had it, it was a gift from my dad.

19. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Late '70s Big Muff. I think I paid $32 new. Cheap, signal loading POS that died within two weeks. Then I stepped up to a $35 MIJ Boss DS-1 which I still have.

20. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I only used a Maestro Fuzz here and there for a long time, from my first gig in 1977 (ouch!) till 1982. Just didn't like carrying it with an extra cord and batteries. Then the local music store down my street was just blowing out Electro Harmonix pedals for next to nothing, saying the company was bankrupt. They were all tossed into a huge bin, with no regard for bumps and scratches. The sign warned me and the salesman reiterated there was no returns and no warranty. I had a feeling I could always resell them, after I figured out what they did(!) and if I liked them. I remember a Switchblade for $5 and a few LPB-1's for $10, one not working right out of the box.
    I remember coming home after a few trips with literally dozens of pedals, and still not spending all of my summer job money. But then again, this was the same store that I treated myself with a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head and cabinet for $500 after saving paper route money and summer job earnings.
    I also remember reading a Guitar Player interview with Robin Trower saying he had an Electric Mistress before and after a Fuzz for different sounds, so I tried it, and did the same. I had my first pedal board my dad and I nailed up in the garage, and it was the size of a door :oops: , all filled with EH pedals in different combinations. Just a sheet of plywood covered in carpet. But on there was (if I can remember) an LPB-1, Electric Mistress, Muff, Doctor Q, Memory Man, and some in duplication. Under my bed was a Knockout Attack Equalizer, Crying Tone Wah, Black Finger, and who knows what else.
    I went from sparse (if anything) to literally the kitchen sink. I hit my blues period in the 1990's, and wanted to just plug into a good Fender amp. So I went sparse again until maybe five years ago. Now I am back to a few kitchen sink boards in my music room. This time I am keeping everything. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.