Your First Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tele salivas, Sep 21, 2014.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

My first pedal was an Arion SMM-1 Metal Master w/Stereo capabilities. Not that I knew what the hell the stereo out could do, but all I knew was that when I plugged into it, and I played "Iron Man", it sounded like "Iron Man" , unlike a lot of other distortion pedals .
    Sold!!
    It lasted me abut 15 years of very difficult abuse. the first thing to go was the battery cover, then the actual rocker started to break apart, and then finally I just couldn't keep soldering and taping any more and it went into the trash. It served me well and it sounded great through all my incarnations as Tony Iommi devotee--Black Flag/Sonic Youth-head-- Noise sweeper.

Not a smooth distortion at all...a really gritty drive capable of the most doom-laden super lows to piercing feedback-ridden highs.

My old noise band is making another recording , so I had to make a slight return and purchased another SSM -1 on E-bay for $14.50 in brand new condition.

• What was your first pedal?
    • Do you still have it?
    • Would you get it again if it broke?

metal master.jpg

2. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

My Crybaby. Got it for Christmas in like 91, its still on my board. I don't think I have to really worry about it breaking he he.

3. TeleFool75

TeleFool75 Tele-Meister

Boss Super Chorus CH-1 around 6-7 years ago. Got rid of it about 2 years ago out of necessity, not because I wanted to. Needed a delay so I traded it in towards a DD-6. I would probably still use it on occasion especially if I had to go direct to the PA and use the stereo out.

image-394104982.jpg

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Still have my very first pedal. Missing the battery cover, broken battery wire and a few knob tops, but it still works with an external power supply.

[​IMG]

5. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Thomas Organ King Vox Wah, 1969ish.

Part traded it for a Bassman head 1990ish. Happy with the the Bassman (still have it), but wish I still had the Wah. I've had a few wah pedals since, none hold a candle to the King.

P.

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

From the mid 80's - A TS9 that I burnt out by using the wrong adapter, and a DOD FX65 older than sbpark's (for Police covers!) that I still have with the box. Also had a big Digitech delay that died on me, starting a long history of bad luck with Digitech products.

7. meehaja

meehaja Tele-Meister

Mk1 marshall shred master. Stolen after I left my school bag in a McDonald's! I'd like to get another as I had (as I remember it) a really cool "almost breaking up but not quite" sound with it, but apparently they have a bit of a following and are quite expensive now and not worth the investment in a pedal which no longer fits my playing style!

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Dod 201 Phaser in around '79 iirc. It's long gone. It was very noisy as I remember it and I don't use phase much these days.

[​IMG]

9. guitarguy97

guitarguy97 Tele-Meister

I got a Morley Bad Horsie 2 about 3-4 years ago back when I was really into using a wah-wah. I still have it, though I don't use it near as much as I used to (it went from being something that I used every time I played to something that I rarely use). I would indeed get another one of these if it broke because I like the switchless concept of the wah.

[​IMG]

10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

1994: Black-box Marshall Guv'nor. Still got it, in box, virtually unused. Have never liked it but kept it for sentimental reasons....

11. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

For 40 years I never owned and rarely used a pedal. Then I got a Deltalabs DGFX-1. I've been using it constantly for 10 years.

102_0277.jpg

The only problem I ever had with it, it came with. They all did. The DC converter jack was slightly off-size for the plug, so it had a tendency to get an intermittent connection. And Deltalabs knew this before they sold it. The pedal has an upside down U shaped slot, into which you're supposed to loop the converter wire to keep it pulled up and tight, so it won't disconnect during use. I got fed up with that not working anyway, and I hardwired a converter onto the back of the plug.

102_0278.jpg

Another one? I'm already pricing them. It's got so much programmable stuff built in that I've only learned half of what it can do, after 10 years. It's built so rock solid (despite the horrible power plug problem and "fix") that it might outlast me. With a backup unit, I'm certain they will, and I'll never need or probably even want another pedal.

The only other pedal I own is a Behringer UM300 "UltraMetal", but I only use that to produce a compressed/distorted overdrive signal into the DGFX to try to get infinite sustain like a Fripp device. I've got that and more in a few different amps with f/x so if it goes out, no big deal. But I will say that with this and my Pignose I can make some noises that will scare the neighbors, without having to plug into any power. They both run on batteries, so I can make those noises anywhere I want. Geez Louise, the monstrous feedback I get with these two things! It's almost hilarious, hooking up these two little tiny boxes and getting sound like that.

12. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

MXR script Distortion+ was the first, sounded great till I sold it for $$$$ on eBay in the early 2000's. Then an EH Hot Tubes overdrive (the big ass one with an AC cord), along with an EH Deluxe Memory Man, bought on the same day in 1980 or so-both gone to the vintage pedal boom in the sweet early days of eBay. I also had early 80's versions of Morely Oil Can Echo wah, EH Small Stone, Big Muff Pi, Screaming Tree, Dr. Q, Maxon Analog delay, TS-9, Ross compressor (x2), several Maestro EP-3 Echoplexi, DOD OD-1, Mu-Tron wah/vol, Mu-Tron III (the Bootsy Pedal), MXR Phase 90 & 45, VOX Thomas Organ Wah (s) and King wah, Fuzz Face(s) ($$$$), Roland Space Echo, all within a few years.....they all sat on the shelf for years in their mint boxes until I made a small fortune selling them. The only ones I miss are the Memory Man, Maxon Delay,the OD-! (a great pedal), and maybe an Echoplex, so I would have one that works, and one of the VOX wah's for when I want a "cocked wah" hooked up. I figured out a long time ago that I sound best with a slap-back delay and maybe a little boost going into the front end of the amp......I did keep my original MXR Micro Amp for just that purpose.

13. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

My first pedal was the infamous DOD Supra Distortion, so...
    no, no, and no.

14. joshphase90wah

joshphase90wah Tele-Meister

My first pedals were a Boss MD2 and Ibanez TS7. Both were going through a weeny little solid state Marshall so buzzings a plenty. Would never have either again.

15. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

DOD Stereo phasor, I got in the late 80's I guess. Paired with my ss Peavey, it was responsible for some awful heavy metal sounds. It was stolen from a house party when I was still in high school, I never replaced it.

Attached Files:

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Besides a Boss Tuner which doesn't really count it was this one. A tc electronics booster + line driver. Great '80s vintage clean boost or OD pedal. They were about $300 new back then but I picked up a used one $100. Unfortunately it was stolen so I eventually replaced it with it's son.

Attached Files:

17. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

DOD Super American Metal and Digital Delay. They were part of a package along with a Hondo guitar and Fender Sidekick amp. Many glorious noises were made.

image-234252836.jpg

the delay was fine, but i can't say I miss it at all.

image-3512376384.jpg

the S.A.M. was passed on to a friend. He liked it enough to name his band after it. I'd love to have it back, but for the nostalgia, not tone.

You can hear it in action at 27:35

18. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

First pedal was a old mxr distortion+ block logo.second was a electro harmonix small stone phaser, loved that pedal!

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My First Effect plugged in to my guitar.
    It was a SUNN (SUNN amps fame) Buzz Box.