1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your First Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LesCanard, Jan 27, 2012.

1. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

I agree. My Silvertone was a great first electric guitar [1965] but I lost track of it back in the '70s, and besides, it couldn't hold a candle to any of the guitars I've had since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Friend of Leo's

First acoustic/nylon string...I honestly can't remember.

First electric:Early-mid nineties MIK Squier Strat...

I still have it...

3. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

My first guitar was an 80s El Degas Strat copy - I traded it in on an Ibanez Floyd Rose job because the Degas had troubles staying in tune when I started playing with other people (truth be told, now I realize that I wasn't tuning it properly). I would never imagine playing that guitar again, but it would be fun to still own. I don't really regret it, because I was 17 at the time I couldn't afford to keep it, but if you are in the position to hang on to your first guitar, I'd definitely recommend it.

4. itsGreg

itsGreg Tele-Holic

My first electric was an encore les Paul in 94. The guy in the shop did just about everything he could to talk me out of it and get a Pacifica instead!
    Terrible action, thin sound and think it must be made of lead.
    Still got it in a heavily modified form,kept for slide and lives in open G.

Attached Files:

5. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Memphis Strat shaped piece of junk, but I learned on it.

In this photo on the headstock it had a metallic label which read "TRUMP", after a few months, I got curious and peeled the label off and it was revealed to be a "Memphis" brand.

The amp was a cheapo model from Sears. This was 1979.

When I got a Les Paul in 1983, I took this apart and painted it, but never put it back together properly. I think I ended up selling it to a friend for 20 bucks or something.

If I found the same thing today, I would certainly buy it and put it on the wall.

Attached Files:

6. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Fond memories. I was working at a startup I stumbled into, very little pay but it was fun. At some point I got a real paycheck and spent the entire thing on a new '88 Strat Plus in inca silver. It was beautiful and sounded clear as a bell with those Lace Golds. I still have it and still can't play worth a damn, but love is unconditional.

7. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

Was cleaning my office today and came acoss the bridge for my first guitar, a Hofner President. Guitar is long gone .

8. superwho

superwho TDPRI Member

Mine was a harmony flying v with a Floyd rose type setup. Looked like this I scratched a little mural into the neckplate on the back, if anyone has it, i'd love to have it back

101_0996a.jpg

9. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

1964. I don't know who made it. Got it out of a Lafayette Catalog for $80 on my 13th birthday

1964.jpg

Can't see them in the pic but it has 4 pups with gold glitter covers a bit like Filtertron pups and 4 rocker switches each.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My first guitar was a crappy single-cutaway thing that looked like a Gibson Marauder. I was 18 when I got it, and I have no idea what brand it was or what happened to it. I think I sold it. I've been trying to find pictures of it online for a while now, but no luck.

11. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

That looks like Jon Spencers guitar. Awesome trashy tone. Dirty and raw.

12. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I love this one! Looks like you were ready to do a gig with The Mosquitoes (that "rock combo" that turned up on Gilligan's Island).

13. Hop2it

Hop2it Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

First guitar I bought with my own money was a 74 strat - white with a chrome pickguard & maple neck. Paid $225 for it in 78 - nobody wanted 70's strats. In 99 I traded it straight up for a brand new lefty am std tele. One of the best deals I ever made.

14. EJG1

EJG1 Tele-Meister

Mine was a Hagstrom 1 from the mid-60's. It was sonic blue, two pick-ups with an acrylic body.

Wish I still had it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.