Your First Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LesCanard, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

I had a Peavey also, sold it to my cousin.
    A patriot, wish I knew about blocking the trem when doing intonation back then.
    [​IMG]

2. Peter C

Peter C Tele-Meister

My first guitar was a cheap acoustic out of the classifieds back in '86 for 20.00. I didn't know a thing about intonation or anything. The bridge floated - i.e. it was no longer glued down to the top! I almost gave up trying to learn to play. The first electric I got was the Series A plywood special - I still didn't know that much about guitars but was happy cause I could make an even louder noise. Problem of getting a decent guitar was compounded by being a lefty. I left the acoustic at my mom's house forever and she gave it to someone else. I held onto the series A till 2 years ago and managed to pawn it finally. But despite both guitars being POS I kind of missed them - I guess because the two guitars really started it all for me. But my first "real" electric is my MIJ 87/88 Squier start - 20+ years and I still love it. That one is going to be buried with me.

3. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Who said I ever stopped?

It was a early 60's Danelectro Convertible, btw...

4. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I cropped the pic. But, it does have a "period piece" quality I guess. So, here's the whole pic. Shot by my mom (RIP).

I'm the one holding the mic, singing our creation "(I Hear The) Interstate is Comin' Through My Outhouse". My friend Eddie was playing my ??? guitar, through the (not visible) ??? fuzz box & "Conquerer" 4-watt tube amp. Realistic reel-to-reel recorder. All that "gear" together probably cost $60, tops, back then.

Seventh-graders in 1970.

That was a weird era. You could get pants like that at K-Mart. Also those extreme "bell-sleeve" shirts were very popular; I had a couple.

Attached Files:

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Nice,very nice for a first rig. and what are you doing in the living room I grew up in?

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

In 1982 my dad took me to Mel Bay's shop in Kirkwood, Mo and we bought a Black Squier Bullet Strat from Mel himself. I had already saved up for a year and bought a Tronix amp that had this great tremelo. I was really into Sabbath at that time, so a year later I traded it for an Epiphone Les Paul style. Wish I still had either of them.

7. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Tele-Meister

Mine was a MIJ CAR Strat with a missing rear spring cover plate. When I bought a house I had to sell it to fund the purchase of a washing machine...

8. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

My first electric guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black with tacky gold hardware.) I inherited it when my brother moved to the west coast.

9. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

My first guitar was a Harmony Stella in 1962, long gone. But I bought a new Eko 12 string at Trail Riders' Music in Kindersley SK in '69 or '70 for $125. Bolt on neck with a massive block in the body to hold it. It's been tuned at concert pitch for forty odd years and is still straight. Still have the original cardboard case.

10. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

My first was a no-name classical guitar, bought it in a pawn shop for almost nothing.
    I was 13 and didn't know nothing about guitars back then... I was soon to discover what the word "intonation" meant, and that it was waaaay off! The action was terribly high, and generally speaking this thing was virtually unplayable. But I actually learned basics on that thing. Although I've bought and sold my share of other guitars since then, and gradually owned nicer/better/more expensive gear, I still own this monster. It's somewhere in the basement. Souvenirs, ya know?

11. newmachine

newmachine Tele-Meister

Mine was Aria Pro Cardinal series
    Never really bond with it, sounds great though....

looks like this:
    [​IMG]

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

NO pics of my first guitar.
    It was an early 70's, bolt-on-neck, Les Paul knock-off and, a bad one at that.
    The bridge was too close to the nut, I had it for two years before I found out that my intonation problems would not go away until I got another guitar.

13. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

That's it. I wish I had a picture of my Cardinal. It was lower down in that same line as yours but with satin redwood finish but did have the coil tap and phase reversal switches, too.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I think I had the same pants!

15. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

My first electric was/is a 1975 Ibanez Custom Agent.Took me almost a year to save up the $240 to pay for it.I will never sell it,too much sentimental value and also a very good guitar.Used to play it thru my Kustom B200.Really loud!

Attached Files:

16. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was an old Stella I got from my dad when I was about 8 years old.
    I actually took lessons when I was 9. And that Christmas I got a Kent electric guitar & a Premier amp. This isn't it. Mine was a sunburst like yours. But it was this same model.
    Left it in pieces in my parents garage when I moved out & never got it back.
    I wish I did. I played my first gig with that sucker & it tried to electrocute me. But it did look pretty cool.

Attached Files:

17. ozmusicrocks

ozmusicrocks TDPRI Member

18. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

First was one or two no-name solidbody POS's.

The first guitar that I can remember specifically was a Harmony Sovereign 1260 acoustic, got it somewhere around 1967. Loved it, and still love the memory of it.

19. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mine was an 1965 ES 330 I bought used for 6o bucks from a guy walking down the street in Georgetown, about 1971. It was probably hot but that did not occur to me at the time. I sold it to a friend years ago for $450. He still has it. It never gets played (He's a keyboard player) but he wants the going Ebay rate for it and I can't go there. My sentimental attachment is not that strong. Pity, I'd like to own it again.

20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My first guitar was an El Degas LP copy. It was a great guitar (for the price) but I sold it 25 years ago or more. I wish I still had it.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.