1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your First Guitar With Your "OWN" Money...When and What?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Jan 29, 2014.

1. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

Every guitar I ever bought was with my own money. I bought my first one at 19. A crappy Rogue starter out. I traded up until I bought a Martin OMC-16RE 1 year ago.

2. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Got a second hand Guild Aristocrat for 300 bucks,awesome p-90 guitar.
    Was destroyed in a domestic blow out.Fortunately I got rid of the perp not long after.

3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bought a really nice Japanese Strat copy in 1978, took me a couple of months to pay off. Beautiful guitar that I have no idea what happened to. Played my first gigs with that guitar. There were not a lot of choices back then if you did not have a lot of money.

4. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

First couple were "beaters" from friends and family; old MIJ "Bruno" classical wall hanger for years, recently fixed the bridge with a wooden coffee stick lol, sounds better than I remember, might treat it to a new one. Harmony arch top with mile high action & crack in top, thankfully gone.

Going in to H.S. I bought a little reel mower from a yard sale, for $5 & started mowing lawns, & shoveling snow, records, skate boards, thrift store cameras & the hobby shop competed for my $ but I go some OK guitars.

First one I bought was a MIJ Epi FT-130 from a H.S. Classmate for $15. Still play it on occasion.
    Not long after I bought a MIJ electric (Fuji Gen?) from a local shop for $20 and little Kay ss amp from the above guy for $10. Still have both, not really a bad rig.

5. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

Fender MIM Strat. Always my #1!

6. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

With my own money? First Run SRV strat bought in 92' . Bought at Richmond Music in Staten Island NYC. I bought it with my Tax return check. Also bought a Tan Fender 2x12 Vibroverb amp with the guitar. Total was like $1575. I also had a 81' TS9 Tube screamer . I was in Heaven.

7. Parsons

Parsons Tele-Meister

First guitar was a squire strat in probably 1999 i think(4th grade). Best friend played guitar so I thought it would be fun for us to play together when we hungout. Parents supported the idea and bought me a guitar at Mack and Daves in WV. I started lessons which I thought was great but as I learned more I realized he wasn't the best instructor. I was getting better so I wanted a better guitar. I had my heart set on a new squire strat that was some artists model. All I remember is it was black and had some kind of weird cross on it in white. Well got to mack and daves and ended up walking out with an American made strat. Played it for awhile and saved up money from birthday and christmas and odd little things a 6th grader can do and bought a epiphone les paul but dont remember which model just know it was a arch top(?) and sunburst. Quit guitar due to school sports and sold them all off which I still regret. Decided to get back into guitar now that I have some free time with college and split the cost of a MIM telecaster with my dad. I will never sell this one.

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My first guitar was a Squier Affinity Strat (pack), that I bought with my own money.

The guitar sucked and so did the amp.

9. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

My first was a Imperial, I bought off a guy in HS for $20 in 73'. It had 2pups, that were like Tele neck pups, the neck at the nut seemed like it was about 3/4", had a Strat type body, I think these were sold thru Radio Shack in the 60'-70's.

10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

First guitar I bought with my own money was a Guild s 100 polara. Wasn't the chinese kind it was american made . It needed some love like fretwork and a new nut . But it was $100 dollars. At the time I didn't know what I had and now wish I still had that guitar . Needing love or not now I could fix most of those problems myself !

11. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

My parents paid for my first two guitars. After learning to play on a Yamaha G-65A classical guitar, that my youngest daughter now plays, and taking lessons and playing in a band with a Ventura Barney Kessel copy, I bought my first guitar in 1975 or 76.

I bought a brand new sunburst Fender Telecaster Custom from Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas Music. I think it cost me $550 or so. It looked like this one, except that it had a stock six saddle bridge.

It was a Tele, and I played it in a Hank Williams tribute band, but it wasn't a very good guitar. The 3-bolt tilt neck was C-R-A-P. I could never warm up to the Les Paul like controls and humongous pick guard. I traded it for a Music Man Sabre a few years later.

[​IMG]

12. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

My first was a 66 Firebird V that I bought for $50 off of a friend in high school. It had been sitting in a closet at home since his brother quit playing and his mom wanted it gone. On the way to pick it up 'Sunshine of your Love' was playin on the car radio which I took to be a sign of good luck. I had that guitar for a long time. Still it wasn't a Fender traded it for a 65 CAR Jazzmaster.

B

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I wish we could get each of the "first" guitars mentioned here in one room at one time just to see them all. It would be like a museum.

When I sold guitars in the 80's the oldest guys always had the coolest stuff (because it was old). I think I'm getting old now. It was always a thrill when a 55 year old guy would say "oh this guitar, I bought it when I was 20"......that was always a nice guitar.

14. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I bought my first guitar with my own money in 1975. I bought it from a little shop in St. Paul Minnesota my first year of college. I bought it because I thought it looked cool. I knew absolutely nothing about guitars.

It was a Gibson SG Special. I learned how to play on that guitar. Sadly it was stolen in 1978.

15. sgman

sgman TDPRI Member

First Guitar I Bought

I bought this white '61 LP/SG in '75 for $600 and sold it in '92 for $3000.
    Last spring I sold the other SG's a '62 Special and '62 Jr and the Marshall Plexi 100 Bass Head and Cab and another Plexi Tremolo head for $9000 to Guitar Center.
    That's why my username is sgman.
    Don't own any now, but I still have 10 guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.