1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your First Guitar With Your "OWN" Money...When and What?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Don't laugh. I bought my very first guitar after saving up all summer. $9.00 from sears and Roebuck. Plastic guitar with nylon strings. I was ten years old.

Next guitar I bought was a black Les Paul copy my senior year in HS. I raided my college fund to buy it, since I had no intention of going to college but really needed a decent electric. Still have it, although it has tuning issues.

2. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

les paul copy, maybe Japanese, maybe Korean, bought in 1980-maple top, maple neck & fretboard, bought it with money from my summer job (delivery boy for a graphics house). Bought it at Jack's Music on St. Antoine Street in Montreal, along with a Hohner amp and an Ibanez Phase-tone pedal-wish I still had the phase-tone! Sold the guitar a couple years later (can't remember why, though it wasn't very good). It looked a lot like this one, except there was NOTHING on the headstock (but the headstock was shaped the same way)...

Franc Robert

Attached Files:

3. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

My first guitar I bought in about 1965, or so. I put a St. George electric bass on layaway and every week I took my money from my paper route to make payments on my bass. It cost $115.00. When I had my last payment, my father drove me to the music store to help me get it home. He did not really want me to play electric bass, and knew I would not be happy without a guitar. He was looking at other guitars hanging on the wall and saw an 1960s Epiphone 12 string and he knew I listened to Leadbelly a lot so he offered to pay the additional $10.00 if I would get the 12 string instead. It did not take more than about a minute's thought to go for the 12 string and I never regretted that decision.

It was stolen in 1976.

4. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

1969 Telecaster, bought for $200 with case and tax from Music Land on Long Island. It took me months of mowing lawns, caddying and working part time jobs to save up the money. I still have it and will never sell it.

5. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Early 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom, black. $536.00 or so new.

6. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

When I was 17 I was saving money to buy a Muncie 4-speed for the '67 Chevelle I was putting together. For some reason, I decided to buy a Conn acoustic guitar instead. I've been playing guitar seriously ever since and I only occasionally miss hotrodding.

7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

1968 Gibson SG

My first guitar was a Harmony f-hole acoustic my folks gave me in 1966. It was pretty awful. I took lessons for a little while. The instructor was teaching me to read music. I gave up pretty quickly.
    Fast forward to 1968 and I was playing a combo organ in a band. Still didn't know how to play guitar but I was making pretty good money in my band for a high school kid so I decided to buy an electric guitar. It was between a Gibson SG at $270 or a LP gold top for $320. I didn't like the weight of the LP so I got the SG. I didn't know squat about guitars at the time. Later on as I learned more I came to realize that the SG had a neck like a wet noodle and had several dead spots at different frets. Wish I had bought the LP...

Mark

Attached Files:

8. Malacoda

Malacoda Tele-Meister

The first guitar I actively paid for was a late 80's Fender HM Strat in Flash Pink color. It was the axe that Fender was selling while trying to compete with Charvel/Jackson geared towards the metal crowd.

[​IMG]

Should have kept that axe (for sentimental reasons), even though I now own a shredder that is better equipped. My buddy still owns the one I had and won't sell it back to me lol.

Shredder Ethan Brosh still plays them. I got to talk to him between sets when he was opening for Yngwie, says he buys the HM Strats on ebay lol. Ethan playing an HM Strat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0NDKwPfOWU

9. Tommy B

Tommy B Tele-Meister

A 1982 Squire Japan Strat. Black on black, and rosewood. It was hanging in a pawn shop in 91 with a humbucker in the bridge position.

The rout out looked like someone used a screwdriver and hammer to chisel out wood for the humbucker.

I was neck deep in SRV and Buddy Guy those days and put in Texas Specials. I replaced to hacked up black pickguard with an antique white one and had black pup covers and knobs.

Great playing guitar. Paid $100 for it and it came with the original HSC.

Sold it just last year.

10. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

My parents bought me the cheapest bass Sears offered as my first instrument.

After a few months of lessons (and buying a small Hondo practice amp so I didn't have to play through an old console stereo) I'd saved up enough for a better bass.

I was set on a P-bass, but while out shopping for one my girlfriend pointed out a strange old Framus hanging in one of the shops. I fell in love with it immediately, and still play it more than 20 years later.

[​IMG]

11. Seb C

Seb C TDPRI Member

Oh man, mine was a "Phantom Rockster", bought second hand in about 1995 when I was 12. Found it in the local paper for £55, gave £45 for it - including a tiny amp, spare strings, two instructional books with a tape, a strap and a gig bag.

It was a sort of HSS super strat with a pointy headstock. The body was mdf, the neck something else. It was bright fluorescent yellow, with rock master written across the body. Without a doubt, the ugliest guitar I'd ever seen - but I was desperate to learn and it was all I could afford. It remains the worst electric guitar I've ever played.

I still have it of course. How could I get rid of my first??? It lives in the attic. I painted it twice as a kid (very badly) and it's basically unplayable. Maybe one day I'll revive it.

12. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

That is bad ass. I like it.

13. Malacoda

Malacoda Tele-Meister

I'm sure we could start a thread on the worst guitar we've ever played LOL. The first one my mom bought me (cheapest one she could find because she didn't think I'd stick with it) was a star-shaped Mako that wouldn't stay in tune for anything. It should have been called Feedback Master. The guitar was made out of some easily dentable material, something hovering between balsa and basswood. I've tried to find this model online before, but I can't find any pictures, probably because any that were ever made are completely broken by now lol.

EDIT - OMG I found one online! It's called a Mako Starfish:

[​IMG]

14. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Does money from a birthday gift count? If so, it was a red MX Magnum Tele styled guitar with 2 humbuckers, two volumes and two tones and a three way switch that I bought from my cousin for $50. Plywood body, neck pocket very loose. I added a third pickup in the middle and used one of the control holes to mount a switch to add it with the other pickups. Sold it for $80 after buying a real Telecaster, my MIM Tele.

If the money had to be earned, it would be my blue MIK Strat. (Still got it)

15. stevexc

stevexc TDPRI Member

Very first guitar... I went with a classic, timeless, and above all classy shape. Something I could feel good about playing for the rest of my life. Something I knew would always be dependable, playable, and worthwhile.

Just kidding, I got a BC Rich Metal Master Warlock. Right now its in pieces, scattered across the province... the neck, which has a 15-25 degree twist in it, is in my parents' basement in a box; the body, which has been stripped of all hardware, electronics, and paint is at an old friend's house (and has been for 4 years now, waiting to be painted); and I've got the electronics in a box at my place.

It sounds bad, looks bad, feels bad, but it got me going to where I am today (which, granted isn't too far...).

I've got big plans for it, though. Paint it neon green and make it into a retro-style Outlaw.

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

The first guitar I bought was my first guitar, a Stratocaster copy by Montoya, bought it thru a catalog back around 1980 for $100, sold it to a friend a year later for $100, it was worth every penny.

17. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

It was an all black Yamaha tele copy, for around $200. Probably one of these:

[​IMG]

18. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

1965...I shoveled snow from neighbors driveways and front walks all winter and earned $25 which I spent on a Kay acoustic. Still have it.

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Harmony Sovereign acoustic. Purchased new for 50 bucks at Schirmers music store in Manhattan, NY. 1966. Two years later my brother dropped it on the boardwalk in Seaside heights NJ and broke it. Then laughed. What a s__t!
    MD

20. chumpchange

chumpchange TDPRI Member

gretsch astro-jet
    zero fret, burns tremolo

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.