1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your First Guitar With Your "OWN" Money...When and What?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

Black Squier Strat, 1983. Not one of the good ones I might add!

2. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

It was the mid 90s, I was 16 and the guitar was a Carvin Koa DC-135 with EMG pickups and a Floyd Rose (every guitar in my price range back then seemed to have a Floyd) for $500. It was a beautiful guitar, but I never liked the EMGs. These days I would just swap them out. I ended up trading it in for a USA Strat a few years later.

3. kingjack

kingjack Tele-Meister

My parents bought me my first guitar which was a squire strat in the late 90's. Financially my parents could never support my playing as much as they would have liked, so I started saving up my money and buying guitars on my own.

The first one I bought myself was a brand new esp ec-50. I think I paid about $250, which was a hefty sum for a kid my age, probably around 13 or 14. I was into led zeppelin at the time and wanted a lp style guitar so I could mimic page.

4. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Twin pick-up Teisco AND solid-state Teisco amp
    I was 16 years-old, and earned the money impersonating Bill Murray, as a Caddy at the local golf course.

5. Nadany

Nadany Tele-Meister

It was a Mitchell acoustic. Got me through college.

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A black Rockson branded el-cheapo pointy headstock SSH start style number. Which I bought in 1988 for my 12'th birthday with saved up pocket money, my parents paid for the amp, a Squier sidekick 15, which I kept far longer than the guitar.
    [​IMG]
    LOVED that amp, it was there for me when I needed it and never let me down. sadly I lost it when a deadbeat of a friend loaned it from me and lost it when he was evicted from his house and left it there.

Recently I came across a Rockson just like mine and then I found out what a terrible guitar is actually was, sharp fret ends, shifty tuner and bad pickups. I could have bought it for sentimental value but passed.

7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

A 1968 blond Tele brand new which I regrettably refinished in black. I was 15 and still in high school. I got it at a music store in Ottawa Canada. The store's owner Mr. Coulhart asked if I had a job as I was trying to finance it at 23% interest and I told him I was in a band and we had some gig's coming up. He sold it to me and I still have it. I have 10 Tele's but I still gig with this one. Call her Jesse. Other than the finish she is still 100% original.

8. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

In my teens I kept two guitars a sax and accordion and a Fender Princeton that my parents bought me. They started me playing accordion at 5! I joined the AF and left them behind, ended up serving in Thailand during Viet Nam: On the way home at Yakota AB Japan someone traded me a Valencia Classical for the pair of "Jungle Boots" I was wearing. It was a great deal. I couldn't have worn them after returning to the states anyway. I think a few years later my sister used it in "Tops in Blue" after I left it behind in 78 when I entered flight training.

9. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

At 17 after working my first year: a s/h 1973 Gibson SG Standard in walnut for 300 pounds from Rock Bottom in South London (1981). I gigged with it about four times then moved up to a '61 Junior later that year which I still have. The '73 went to a friend.
    Before that I built my own.
    Back to building again these days.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

All of my guitars have always been bought with my own money...... does that make me weird or something?....;)

only one of which was bought new in a shop..... $100 for an Ibanez acoustic in Singapore '78....;)

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

1966 LPB Jazz Bass. Wish I still had it. :(

Attached Files:

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

An unnamed classical for me. Followed by a Framus 6-string and a Norman 12-string. They were all bought with my own money. My Father felt that I had no business studying guitar when there were more important things to study, so my parents never supported my music, if it wasn't piano lessons. Piano was ok. This was at home when I was about 15. I was working part-time, so I saved and bought my guitars myself...

13. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

NOS 1965 Jazzmaster in 1970. The only reason I know what year it was is that it had dots and binding which would make it a 1965. I just thought it was a new guitar. There were no vintage guitars in 1970. I went to Joe Favas music store on 8 mile and Greenfield in Southfield Mi. looking to buy a new Tele. I was a big Joe Walsh and Bloomfield fan and a white Tele seemed in order. I was 16 years old, had been playing my brothers Gibson acoustic for a year and was starting to get pretty decent on the lead side of things. Worked at the YWCA as a janitor after school and Fava's had payment plans...$13.99 a month for 375 years and it was yours. Then he told me for $3.00 a month more I could get this top of the line Fender. He pulled out the Jazzmaster and it was without a doubt the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life. Made the little plain white Tele look like an orphan. Mom signed and I brought it home wherein both my older brothers who were in bands and their friends made fun of me and told me I had bought a surf guitar. They explained that for what I had agreed to pay for it I could have bought one of those old Les Pauls that everyone was using or 2 old Strats. But I didn't care I knew that with my Ampeg Gemini 6 and my Jazzmaster I would rule the world. Lawrence Welk anyone? Not a picture of my actual guitar but this is what it looked like.

Attached Files:

14. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

I bought a used Strat in '69 I think it was a '67. It was like new, and I remember I payed the huge sum of $150 back then. I worked my butt off for my dad to buy it, but I was determined to do it on my own. Wish I still had it :(.

15. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

1968- Ibanez copy of a John Lennon-style Rickenbacker. $30 and a total POS.
    1969- Gibson Les Paul/SG Custom ('61, white) $200.

16. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

when i was a teenager, my folks bought me a strat so i could gig.

about a year later, i acquired a duane eddy guild with those dearmond p90s. loved that rig.

didn't actually pay money for it, though. and it got gleeped just a few years later. for awhile i had a loaner tele. but didnt really pay money for that, either.

didn't actually buy a guitar until many years later-- a heritage golden eagle that i still own.

17. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

1992 Ibanez RG550. Previously my Parents bought me an Ibanez ProLine 1770 (rare bird!). I was an idiot and hated the 1770 because of the color. Now I love them both!

18. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

1981 Capri orange international series Stratocaster, bought it in 83, sold it in 84!!

That thing weighed a ton, and the coating on the maple board was about an inch thick, I didn't like anything about that guitar.

19. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I bought my first guitar at Simpson-Sears for 29.95. I was 15, it was 1965, and the guitar was a ZenOn. I couldn't afford an amp, so I played it acoustically for most of a year, and then for another year through a Phillipa tape recorder that one of my father's friends loaned me. I still own the guitar.

[​IMG]

20. mbattr

mbattr TDPRI Member

Cool thread, thanks for this! My first self-bought was also my first Telecaster. It was a blonde '64, back in 1969 when I was a freshman at Wilmington College in Ohio and the Tele was just another used guitar. Cost me $100, and worth a bit more now----sure wish I still had it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.