1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your First Guitar With Your "OWN" Money...When and What?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telefunken, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

An Alvarez dreadnought acoustic that I bought new from Giannetta's on Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton, PA with high school graduation money in 1979. I think I paid about $225 for it. I took it away to college in the fall. I still have it and now my older daughter plays it when she is home from college.

2. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

3. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I also enjoyed the full and enthusiastic support of my parents and family. I had rehearsals and jams going on at my parents house two or three nights a week for years. I think the first piece of music gear I bought myself was a crappy PA (Ross, Sundown?) package (head, speakers, monitor, $500?) from Victor Litz Music in Gaithersburg, MD sometime in the early 80's so I could start booking gigs at bars and parties. The first guitar I bought was a Nagoya Dreadnaught from Veneman's in Rockville, MD. 1982? I bought a new Gibson L6-S from Veneman's in 83 for $225 with a case at one of their big Labor Day sales. Spent all night in the parking lot in line waiting for the doors to open with a few hundred other freaks.....mine looked just like this:[​IMG]

4. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

It was a Charvel Dinky Reverse.

I responded to an ad in a local trader rag for a Les Paul $150. I REALLY wanted a Les Paul at that time for some reason so it was like a dream come true. That was EXACTLY how much I had saved up.

I had a Harmony acoustic my mom had bought for me from the JC Penny catalog. It was not a good guitar, but I learned how to play on it and was easily good enough to move on to an electric. My Dad HATED that I played guitar. He hated worse that I wanted an electric. I don't know how I convinced him to take me to look at that guitar in the paper. The entire trip was a lecture about how electric guitars lead to bands and bands lead to drugs and a wasted life. In all honesty, I know he meant well and by no means was my Dad at all a bad guy. There was just something about an electric guitar that pushed his buttons.

So we get there and it's interesting. It was a couple of pill heads in a trailer. My dad was right. LOL. Being a naive 14 year old I asked about ad for the $150 Les Paul. They took me in and showed it to me. It was the Charvel which they had plugged into their home stereo. So, I was a little disappointed.

I did however know two things.

1. Charvels were talked about as nice guitars by my friends.

2. This could be my only opportunity to talk my Dad into letting me buy an electric guitar.

So, I bought it and played it for a while. I got a little Park amp to go with it. the next big purchase I made was a 100 Watt Rickenbacker amp. I was doing odd jobs at a local music store, including mowing the owners lawn. He gave me a good deal on it.

I used this set up for a while. I started playing in a band with some friends. We were actually good. We hosted an open mic when we were only 16. The singer managed the local radio station at 16! 16! We certainly weren't on the road to ruin.

Now here's the best part of the story.

My Mom was in no way against me being into playing music. She was into as I was. She still is. I learned from her old records. She has great taste. Even more so than that...

She knew what a Les Paul was.

She knew my first deal was a compromise. When I started doing well playing and was doing well in school she gave me the rest of the money I was trying to save to buy an Epi Les Paul Gold Top. I literally wore that guitar out. I was so proud of that thing. I ended up selling it a high school kid who needed it more than me. he got a MORE than fair deal.

I do kind of wish I still had that Les Paul. It wasn't what mattered to me though. It was the gift of support that meant the most.

I do still have the Charvel somewhere, in pieces....

5. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Fender American Standard Strat Arctic White.
    Put on layaway on 86 and paid it off January of 87.
    $525.00 out tha door.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Mid 70's black Tele Custom purchased used in 1982. I was 18.

I had a burst used Mid 70's Tele Custom prior that got damaged on a high school jazz band trip prior to the black one but dad and I went 50/50 on that one 5 years earlier. I earned 100% of the black one making pizzas and washing dishes.

7. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Early 2008. My son had started taking lessons and my wife asked me to help him with practice. I had not played in 30 years but found that I could not help without a guitar, so pulled the 69 Guild out that my parents bought me when I was 12. Soon after, I found youtube lessons (which are a huge cheat compared to the 70s and listening to Led Zeppelin records). I got hooked and decided to learn again. At work, one of the guys was doing informal guitar lessons at lunch and I joined the group. The Guild archtop was tough to hear over all these acoustics so off to craigslist.

I bought a 2001 Ovation S771 Balladeer acoustic from a guy in the next town who was downsizing his guitars.

8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Early 70's Fender Mustang. $200 bucks, worked at the Stop and Shop to gather it up. It was a big upgrade from the plywood Silvertone acoustic that I was using.
    took me a few months to save up for an amp that I still use.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Fist one I ever bought outright, entirely with my own money (not trading something somebody else bought for me) was a 1990 Alvarez Yairi DY75DCB acoustic. Cost full retail, bought it brand new. $1050. Bought it at Pianos and Guitars Etc. in San Angelo, TX. I played it, and had to have it. I busted my ass to get the money together.

My dad saw it, and knew what it cost, because he was a player too. He never got to own a guitar that nice. He loved it. My mother never supported me playing music, still doesn't. When she found out what it cost she hit the roof.:lol: I had only paid $500 for the car I owned in those days.

I played the hell out of it. Dragged it all over the country and made a lot of money, and a lot of friends. I was about to have a lot of major work done on it in '97 because it was about worn out. Re-fret, nut, bridge repair from a botched pickup installation, etc., when my dog accidentally smashed it to bits.

To this day, I keep acoustics cased when I'm not playing them. I still miss that guitar. I would definitely still be playing it had it survived.

The next one I bought all on my own was 1991. I bought a brand spanking new American Standard strat in midnite wine. Bought it on a whim from another local retailer, on their in-store payment plan. I was out of the house by then, so mom couldn't ride me about it, but she made sure to let me know that she thought I was an idiot. Dad defended me, saying that if I was going to be out on my own, it was a good idea to start building credit so I could buy a real car and a house someday. Truthfully, he just really liked the guitar.:cool:

I miss my dad.

10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first guitar I bought new in 1975, a Takamine F-360. I was working at the Contra Costa Times in Walnut Creek, California, selling ads, so I bought the guitar from one of my customers, who managed a music store in Concord.

11. 0018g

0018g Tele-Meister

I was pretty fortunate in that my dad was a player with a pretty decent collection of stuff. I think the first thing I bought on my own was a '74 Gibson RB-250 banjo for $1250. I was 19 and saw it hanging at Mass Street Music. It ended up being kind of a turd, and I've had several banjos since, but I think that was the first one I paid for 100%.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought an '82 Strat at Giannetta's in 1983. I bought my Yamaha acoustic at Sugerman's.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  13. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

When I was 17 I bought a 1972 strat for $325. Black with maple board. The black finish was wearing off in places and it appeared to be surf green underneath.

14. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

64 Gibson mahogany

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Every one of them-first one a nylon stringed spanish guitar around the age of 12

16. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I bought a brand new Hagstrom III in red with 3 pickups in 1964-5. I traded in a Gibson Melody Maker, 1959, that my mom bought for me used in 1963. The Hagstrom was their take on a strat.. I loved that guitar. In 1968, I bought a '66 Tele that had been in the store's locked glass display case for two years.. It was brand new and cost me $200.00. They have both been long gone since 1971....

17. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

My first proper guitar was a 1996 epiphone LP, paid £125 used off ebay. Just recently restored it because it was in need of a lot of TLC, I had the fretboard re-fretted with Stainless steel fret wire, changed the mismatched pickups for a set of Dimarzio's Air Norton and Tonezone, swapped out the wiring/pots/switch etc for a vintage loom with PIO caps and it absolutely rocks now:lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The first good guitar I bought with my own money was I think $450 worth of neighborhood lawns mowed as a teenager in the WV summer humidity back in about 79 or 80.

It was an Ibanez Artist 2617 model. Ash, abalone, ebony, gold, flying fingers pickups... man, I'd give quite a bit to get that back. Sold it along the way sometime when I was stretched too thin financially. :cry:
    This is the same model, but not specifically mine.
    [​IMG]

19. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

My Epiphone Riviera:

[​IMG]

I bought it with money I'd saved working at my grandfather's pharmacy as a gift to myself on my 18th birthday. I bought myself guitars before this one but I consider it my first "real" guitar that I bought with my money.

Got it from the "2nd and Scratch 'n Dent" section of the Musician's Friend catalog. I ordered the blue one, they mailed an empty case that said "no more blue," so then I ordered the red one, got a phone call "no red, sorry." So I said fine just give me whatever you've got and they sent this. It's metallic black.

I've since added a third pickup, trashed the pickguard, put a Strat jack plate on it, and stuck some Fender amp knobs on there. I like it better that way.

20. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

The first guitar I bought with my own cash was an early 70's sunburst strat. Paid $175 for it without a case. I already had a 66 Tele that my folks had bought me a few years before so the Strat seemed like a nice upgrade. I modded the electronics on it it sounded great but never could get it to stay in tune. I learned years later that the problem was the bar on it! If I'd had sense enough to block the trem bar I'd probably still have it! I swapped it for a 73 SG and that's long gone too. But the good news is I still have the 66 Tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.