Your first electric? Do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Haytheman, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

NO...I owned this Fender Duo-sonic in 1961. Long gone, as I traded it in when I bought my first Strat in 1963...

[​IMG]

savofenno likes this.
  2. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

My first electric guitar was a 1960's era Pre-CBS Fender Jaguar. I didn't know what I was buying at the time. I still have it and I still play it. I set it on fire for my TDPRI avatar :cool:. You can hear it on my Twanger Central challenge tracks and see it on my SoundCloud song pics. She's a battle axe and been through a lot, but she's sweet!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    trouserpress likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Me too! Looked just like this:
    teisco.jpg
    Intonation was impossible with that bridge, PUs were so microphonic you could actually hear your own voice through the amp, 100-pc laminated neck. I have no idea what I did with it...

william tele and Zepfan like this.
  4. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

A Harmony Rocket, 3-pickup. That one went somewhere in the mid-60s. Pretty sure I traded it in, on a Kappa Continental.

rocket21.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  5. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

1976 Stratocaster natural hardtail, bought in fall of 1994 for $300 with OHSC.

[​IMG]

According to Dan Erlewine, who did a refret, its the rarest of the S series.
    Hand selected bodies with the nicest grain and matching got clear finishes. Everything else got solid colors.
    First year for 5 way.
    And last year for "the better pickups" (don't know what he meant, maybe they didn't use grey plates the next year).

And yes, I still have it.

savofenno, brookdalebill and Zepfan like this.
  6. aaronlowther1993

aaronlowther1993 TDPRI Member

My first acoustic was a no brand cheap piece that I got when I was four. It snapped in half after the glue gave out about fifteen years ago. My first "real" guitar was a see-thru dark red Johnson strat copy. It's hanging on the wall next to my bed. I've had several dozen guitars since I got that one on Christmas morning 2001. I've sold most of those, or traded them, or given them away. But I've still got that ugly not-so-red bastard. Only the body and neck are original...and maybe the tuners, I honestly don't recall this many beers into Saturday night. But it's had a half dozen different pickup sets in it, three or four bridges, and all manner of scratch plates. But it's my guitar. And it plays pretty well too. Well enough to make it on our recently finished record anyhow. And I'll never give it up.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've built several Oak bodied guitars and found that low to medium output Ceramic mag pickups have been great in them. Talking 5 to 6 DCR for singles and 10 to 12 DCR for doubles. Did you try anything like that in that body?

8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No way. My first electric was an Aria Diamond, similar to this one. It had a really horrid D shaped neck, it felt like you were holding a baseball bat. A friend of mine had one also, his was nicknamed "The Slab"

[​IMG]

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First it got two routs and new Dimarzio's, Super Distortion and the one with slabs instead of poles. Not many pickups on the market in 1980.
    Then a run of SCs including low output vintage and Duncan Strat/ Mustang pups, along with a vintage P-90.
    So aside from the first hot HBs, all were pretty low output, though only the P-90 was ceramic.
    People liked my sound and playing, so I guess oak isn't such a bad tone wood!

10. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Good God no and I hope nobody else has it either .....

BobbyZ likes this.
  11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, though.....I never sold my first Telecaster.

Attached Files:

savofenno and P Thought like this.
  12. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. Mann copy of a 70s Tele Custom. Thing weighed a ton.

Actually had a Pan acoustic before that. I think it may reside in my parents basement somewhere.

Cheers,
    Geoff

13. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

My first was a 70s Bentley Les Paul. When something went wrong with it the jackhole at the local music store told me it wasn't worth fixing. I was 13, with a couple of friends. Pissed off and a little embarrassed, I Who'd that sucker into 10 pieces on the street out front. Only one pic survives IMG_0434.JPG

14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Alas, first electric is long gone — Harmony Rocket H54, two pickups, single cutaway in the usual orange-red. This would have been around 1970, when the guitar wasn't that old (got it used at a music store). Good ol' Dad plunked down the cash for it, and my first band was off and running...my friends and I formed it before we all had our proper instruments... y'know, concept band... like the Monkees!

Anyway, not a bad guitar, and they're sought-after today. I usually had it plugged straight into a Bassman head with matching cab (2x12? 4x10? I forget). I noticed at the time that it sounded a lot like Eric Clapton's tone when he was playing in John Mayall's band (a distinctive kind of a 'choked' sound, I'd call it; not sure what Clapton was playing on the Bluesbreakers records).

It got a deep dent in a fret and, not knowing a thing about what to do, and assuming such a repair would be prohibitive, I despaired and decided to take it apart. Just because I'd never done it, and now it didn't matter. Sometime later a friend noticed the box of parts and said that his brother fixed up broken guitars and "if you don't want it...." So I just gave him the whole kit & kaboodle. D'oh!

But about those Teiscos — some can be very playable. There's one on CL which, once I rationalize diverting the cash from a timely rent payment, I might go look at! (It's a good price, almost good enough that I have to buy it—right?) My little rescued Harmony 1401, which I love to death and play all the time, has the same bridge and maybe I lucked out cuz the intonation is fine.

What I really want to do with it anyway is install a sitar "buzz bridge"... I think that burst w/the black floral pickguard really has a great look for an electric sitar.

15. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus TDPRI Member

Holy shemoly Batman, never thought I would post a pic of my first electric, but now I can show off this beast LOL.
    Mach 1 X Series Flying V. No info, other than I bought it new from a guitar shop that sold a lot of Aria guitars (not sure if this was one of their spin off's?).
    image.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  16. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

No, it was stolen while I was on my honeymoon. Our house was broke into. It was a 96 or 97 sunburst Ibanez as80. My grandma bought it for me while I was in high school. It was a great guitar. I check eBay and reverb occasionally. They seem to be pretty rare. Hopefully I'll find one again.

savofenno likes this.
  17. j-bro

j-bro TDPRI Member

I don't consider my first two guitars as my first (and second) guitar. The first was a 12 string acoustic Yamaha with a jacked neck. Many a dead fret on that otherwise decent guitar. Traded that in short order for an Ibanez RG of some sort. Went back to the guitar shop the next day and told them to take it back, I wanted a US made axe. The salesman said no problem and proceeded to hand me a G&L Legacy Special in clearcoat red, maple neck, rosewood board. That was 1994 if memory serves me correctly. I still have that G&L. Don't play it much anymore as I've taken a shine to Teles, but it's still a great axe, plays like a champ. Always in tune, perfectly intonation, great tone.

18. schroeder

schroeder Tele-Meister

My first was a no name student Japanese Les Paul. It has been scavenged for parts on 5 or 6 other guitars and then body thrown out. The neck is waiting for a re-fret.

19. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

No, but I know where it is. My old friend Pete who had a stroke four years ago still has it in his living room. He'll probably never play it again but I can't bring my self to ask him if I can buy it back.

Mid '60s Epiphone Century. Fully hollow with one P-90 in the neck position. Really skinny, fast neck. I play it a little bit when I visit and keep it dusted. Great acoustic sound.

savofenno likes this.
  20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

[​IMG] No it was an Aria Pro II LP copy. I had it for a long time but eventually gave it to a friends son.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.