Your first electric? Do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Haytheman, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

1996 Squier Strat, an outstanding guitar.

I'd been playing acoustics for awhile, but I wanted to learn Walk Don't Run. I had a bunch of money (I was in the Army at the time) and no knowledge; the internet then was not at all what it has become.

I've always felt grateful toward the kid at the music store in Fayetteville, NC who sold it to me. He could have taken advantage of me big time. I'd have bought a freaking LP if he'd told me to. Instead, he asked about what I wanted to play, how experienced I was, thought about it, and hooked me up with a Dodger blue Strat and a little Champion 110 amp.

I still use the amp every day. The guitar lives at my parents' house, so I have something to play when I visit. Best trem action I've ever played, and I just can't duplicate it on any other Strat.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    savofenno likes this.
  2. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Sounds bizarre - but then - shotguns can make people dance too :twisted:

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II - purchased brand new from Miller Music in Wichita. It's been heavily modded, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sort of but not really.
    Bought a '65 Mustang in 1980 for $50, with dead pickups.
    Made an oak body shaped kind of in between an SG and a Burns Bison, but not quite as ugly as it sounds.
    Put all manner of pickups in it to the point of a bathtub rout and one mounting ring full of pups from bridge to neck.
    After moving on to Strats, I traded that rather nice Brazilian board Mustang neck for a '69 Tele bridge pickup at the NYC vintage guitar show.
    That oak body is now somewhere in the garage, sans pickups.
    The Tele bridge pup is long gone too but it brought me to the Telecaster and I've never really gone back.

mnutz likes this.
  5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

The story of why I needed a shotgun is even more bizarre!

6. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Right, I'm off to a pup for watching a game of football. Later when I'm back home I want to read that story!!!

7. slacquin

slacquin TDPRI Member

Epiphone EA-250 purchased 1983 in Tennessee (Nashville) swap meet for $85.00. Whew! long time ago for sure, when 85 dollars meant something. Ignore the Bass i bought it two years earlier for $100.00 hope to break even on investments soon.........;D

Attached Files:

mnutz likes this.
  8. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

Nope. I got a black and white American Made Stratocaster in 1982 when I was 13. I stupidly traded it in for a cheesy ass Kramer when I was going through my heavy metal phase a few years later. Mistakes of our youth.
    Even though its an acoustic guitar I still own my first and only acoustic guitar. It's a Yamaha and I got it in 1979. I will never get rid of it. I can't imagine how many hours of playing that thing has seen.

mnutz likes this.
  9. BigToeify

BigToeify Tele-Meister

Ha! My very first acoustic guitar was this cheap classical guitar from Musicland as well. I forget the brand. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one.

10. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

My first "real" guitar was like this 1973 Gibson SG....great guitar....long gone...(sigh).... 1973 Gibson SG.jpg

Jimmy Owen and savofenno like this.
  11. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Squier strat, tobacco burst.

12. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Hondo II strat. White with black pickgaurd, maple neck. Got it for christmas '79. $150. I was 14. TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP!!! When I bought a used Ibanez Artist AR100 a couple years later, I did a Pete Townshend with it. Wish I still had the Ibanez. Had to sell it to pay for medical bills years ago.

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my first electric from Dave Schecter in 1980, just after he started selling complete guitars. It was a walnut body tele with rosewood fingerboard, and I do have the parts of it scattered around somewhere.

Can't really see much of it here, but that was it (and me) in 1980.
    [​IMG]

14. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Kingston that I bought in 1985 from a friend; my first guitar. Not a good playing guitar, but good enough to learn on.

I had a different friend set it up a couple of years ago. Leveling the frets took days and wore him out because the metal was so hard that he could only do a bit at a time. Not sure; maybe tungsten frets. :) He did a great job and while it is still not a perfect guitar, it plays a thousand times better and it is fun to pick up on occasion.

[​IMG]

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My first electric was a cheap used imported Kingston from the later 60's or so.
    I smashed that thing to bits !
    If I ever find one like it, I'll buy it and smash it too.

On the other hand my second electric I bought about 81 was a Gibson Les Paul Custom. I still have it but don't play it much anymore. Maybe I'll use it tonight.

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My first was a 74 Tele. It stolen during a break in

17. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

This was back in the 70's it was a Kay SG style in red it had a bolt on neck and gold foil looking pickups. The action was about 3/4 of a inch off the neck impossible to play i don't think i could even play it now. About a year after i sold it i saw it in the same store someone had set it up and it played nice. That was when i realized you could lower the action. When you're 15 you don't know very much. Now that i think about it the music store should have set it up a little. Young people are easily discouraged that was almost enough to make me give up. Kids these days don't know how good they got it with the internet you can find out anything you need to know.

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

My first electric guitar was some sort of Fender Coronado knock off, probably by Teisco that I bought new at a pawnshop on Beale Street here in Memphis, back when Beale St was not much to see.

I don't even recall what happened to it, I think I sold it to a friend when I got a SG Jr.

I just saw this picture of Jimmie Vaughan playing one like it, I don't think mine had a vibrato tailpiece but it was the same color.

IMG_0001.JPG

savofenno and Zepfan like this.
  19. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Mine was a late-60s, MIJ Lyle hollowbody. I played it thru college. I gave it away about 25 years ago.

20. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I still have my old Les Paul Jr. I got back in about 1971.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.