1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your favorite tool in your tool box/shed/bag etc

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Apr 4, 2021.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Having admired my Dad's for many years, I bought mine in 1980 when I set up home in London. Five years ago I inherited his too. This one is mine;

upload_2021-4-5_12-50-42.png

NoTeleBob, getbent and Stringbanger like this.
  2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tough call, depends what I am doing. The one thing I need to do everything is a good tape measure .
    Stanley .

RodeoTex, Stringbanger and getbent like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

An unexpected later in life favorite. The Leatherman Skeletool is minimalist for a multi-tool, strong for the weight and has proven how much you can do with some basic cut, squeeze and pry power.

There are optional drivers but years later I haven't felt the need. It with other tools works fine. Examples would be travel with a little tools with more features or the way this can aid a bike multi-tool. If I'm with the tool bag I usually carry for work this is just a fine knife or bottle opener.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

getbent likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

94B23C1F-DDC6-4B0E-937E-0AF3E48EFC03.jpeg

Back when I was pounding 16d nails and this hung from a loop on my tool belt and when someone threw a bachelors party for the foreman, two girls showed up named Misty and Puddin’.

Bruxist, Matt G and getbent like this.
  5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's no way to use a ladder or scissor jack platform because of the curved stairway. I had an electrician come out last Friday to take a look at it, and he was going to put 2 x 12s across the below the rails, then put on a ladder on those.

Frankly I might take the five 10 foot two-by-fours back because they just have small holes in them in the sides from the deck screws. The plywood I bought I can use in my work.

The electrician is going to get back to me today with a bid, but he initially said $300 plus whatever it cost to get a platform built. In fact I'm going to text him in a few minutes that I already completed it, and thank him for coming out.

RodeoTex and TwoBear like this.
  6. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

Can't decide. The 18" hook rule or my dad's tiny plane.
    favorite tools.jpg

Matt G, Harry Styron and getbent like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I love those, have a collection of them and used to buy & sell them too, some really beautiful pieces from before the tape measure was invented. Collectible versions may have architects scale markings.
    I like the tiny ones which are less common and just little beauties in the hand, but I never use them.

WingedWords likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Repurposed tools!

I have to give respect to user made tool assemblies made from old kitchen junk or broken tools etc.
    A table that can't stand on its own, piled with a cockpit array and held up by add on gizmo's, becomes A tool in its own right!

And as you illustrated, such contraptions may also hide stuff we're looking for but can't find because the table no longer moves, and the array of support junk makes whatever we stashed under it long ago, sort of morph into the usable junk pile.

While my bench approach looks like havoc, it works more like a cockpit, where all the stuff I might need is out in a mess, and nothing is neatly stashed in a box in a drawer. A mess yet functional.
    And cheap too!

9. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

some hand tools my daddy gave me.

he taught me so many useful skills with tools

Matt G likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Swiss Army Knife is a pretty basic model, but it drives screws, opens cans or bottles, and cuts great. There's also a tweezer and a toothpick. . .:rolleyes:

The one in my pocket is a replacement. I had one with my name carved into its side, done by my dad, who all my life insisted that I keep a pocket knife on me. I lost it to a concert security guard. Now I wish I'd walked it back to the car and missed a Chris Stapleton set or two; we'd gotten hung up in traffic and missed the whole Marty Stuart opening act, which was more than half the reason we went.

The guy let me stash it under a stanchion, but when we left the concert the stanchion was gone, and so was my knife. :cry:

Matt G and telemnemonics like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It's a vice spacer....

Scooter91 and Peegoo like this.
  12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Here's one that I use a lot in my shop....a saddle square. Very handy....so I have two.

[​IMG]

Frodebro, Matt G and Stringbanger like this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yep! Keeps the vise from racking when a board is clamped in one end of the jaws..

[​IMG]

Jef, Lost_N_Austin, Blue Bill and 3 others like this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a tool freak.

If you keep your screwdrivers vertically in a belt or bag, here's a dirt-simple way to make them easy to identify.

Clamp the handle in a vise with the pokey end pointed at the floor and use a hacksaw to make one cut (common/slot) or two cuts (Phillips/JIS/etc.). Make your cuts very shallow, about 1/32" deep. Drip in some paint and wipe off the excess.

No more mulligans when you pull the wrong screwdriver out.

Here's a pic of some in my go bag:

[​IMG]

Matt G, teletimetx, flathd and 2 others like this.
  15. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    No aesthetic value. No heirloom qualities. Looks a bit gadgety a bit plastic-y. A gift.... not something I would have been attracted to, on the shelf.

I probably own upwards of twenty screwdrivers but use this one, most days. Comfortable in the hand, versatile, tough as old boots. Ten years plus, of wear; new ones are still under £10, to buy.

oldfish and Scooter91 like this.
  17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

WingedWords and SRHmusic like this.
  18. telemnemonics

These have been guitar bench favorites for decades, though I end up breaking the old Weller guns knocking them on the floor. I’ve used those same guns since probably 1980, and always buy them second hand.
    Instant heat and quick cool down.
    Solder sucker and auto stripper also make wiring jobs super quick, which is good because I have little patience for the last bit of work before the guitar starts working. Pic is messy to match the bench.

00D38BEC-B2D6-4FAF-8B95-71D9F28761DE.jpeg

flathd likes this.
  19. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

The best tools are the ones that you make to solve a particular problem.
    I've made dozens of tools over the years that were used for some job and never used again. I will never discard such a tool, even if it hasn't been used in forever.
    I still have special tools I made in the '70s when I worked on motorcycles. I haven't touched a motorcycle in decades, but, well, one never knows, do one?

Mark

Matt G likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

I've never seen one of those, but have used scraps to solve that problem.
    Your earlier pic of the thing was a complete mystery to me!

And it's funny because I had a rep in one boat shop for my at times crazy jig making that allowed me to essentially replace an entire human with a few scraps and a nail.
    Boats are a special kind of interesting because principles like square, level and plumb are a bit different...
    I've also always loved old hand made purpose-built tools, sometimes unidentifiable.

Matt G, kingofdogs1950 and Peegoo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.