Your Favorite Telecaster Tones

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Not really a big Brad Paisley fan, but credit is always due for him. He's a cool guy and a hell of a player. The rhythm and lead tones he gets on Celebrity are SUPER nice. When that was new I was knocked out by that solo and still am.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I’m thinking Muddy Waters, Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin 1), Keith Richards (Exile on Main Street), Chrissie Hynde, Joe Strummer, Syd Barrett, Jonny Greenwood, Viv Albertine, Wilko Johnson, Graham Coxon, Ellie Rowsell (from Wolf Alice), Margaret Glaspy and Julian Lage.

dasherf17

Tele-Meister
25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
Can you guys give examples and links to your favorite Telecaster tones? I'm talking about the wide range of tones that a Telecaster can produce. Even unusual tones are welcome. I would just like to hear all the possible tones this guitar can achieve. Also, if you have your own, please share pedals used and amp settings. Thanks!
Keef (Start Me Up), Danny Gatton (Funky Mama)...

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
I object to this thread!

I have to be honest, when you think of a guitarist's tone, you don't think Telecaster. Strat - Stevie, Les Paul - Slash, Rickenbacker - McGuinn... Those are just top of head examples. But Tele? I have looked over this thread and not one example can compare with my three examples above as iconic tones from a guitar.

Sure, I can name some great Tele players -- Brad Paisley, Terry Kath, Joe Strummer, Daniel Ash, Radiohead's Greenwood... -- but Tele tone?

I think the thing about the Tele is that it can do so many tones -- chicken pickin', punk rock, post punk, ska, funk, rock-a-billy... -- we don't think of it as being anybody's signature tone.
I've got a few favorite les paul sounds, a few favorite strat sounds, and a few favorite tele sounds... we're obviously not all nailing our favorite tele sounds with our LPs or vice versa, so..️. what's the objection?

As for signature sounds... "iconic" sounds people frequently reference and try to emulate as "that sound" or "THE sound"? All right, an example. How about Jimmy Page? Make a thread like this on strat talk and "In the Evening" may not get mentioned till page 25, but the strat tones within it are recognizable, distinct, and two of them are some of my favorites... doesn't change a thing if no one associates Jimmy with strats.

Speaking of Jimmy, how many iconic tele sounds were on that first Led Zeppelin album alone? 🤯

PARCO

Tele-Holic
I'm thinking of Tony Gilkyson on X's Hey Zeus album. Great tones.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Can you guys give examples and links to your favorite Telecaster tones? I'm talking about the wide range of tones that a Telecaster can produce. Even unusual tones are welcome. I would just like to hear all the possible tones this guitar can achieve. Also, if you have your own, please share pedals used and amp settings. Thanks!
Guitar is a Carvin T-type, mahogany body, maple neck, 3 Carvin S60 passive single coil pickups. Cable straight into Blackface Princeton. No pedals or effects. Shot and recorded live with cellphone camera and cellphone mic.

Last edited:

Ronhar

TDPRI Member
It's impossible to beat Jason and the Nashville Scorchers' Telecaster tone.

A demon named Warner Hodges came up with this absolutely killer Telecaster sound:

I would very interested in how they get that sound. I don’t have enough money or years to experiment that much.