Your favorite songs with neat key changes?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
At 20:30, Bill Evans walks you thru a song with modulations. It's pretty magical.

At 37:30, they discuss adding modulation to a standard, and he illustrates again.

They talk about modulation a few other times as well.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
At the moment, I'm fascinated by this tune from Zita Swoon, a band from Antwerp. I have most of their albums, but only got this one recently. Most of the songs are in English, but not all.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
let's count neat tonicizations

this is one of the top three pieces of vocal music of the past 75 years

perfect at every level

teleMc

Tele-Meister
Some of the great modulations have been to accommodate the instrument that is taking the solo…

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
A few really well-crafted Eagles songs come to mind.

" Already Gone" the whole song is G/D/C
until that vocal Chorus outro, which changes key, to C/G/F

And " New Kid in Town" - I don't even know what's happening here, but there's a great key change during that 'middle 8' bridge> key change into that last verse/chorus
Beautiful song
Here’s a great article about the key changes in New Kid In Town. We’ve played this for a couple of years and understanding the key changes helps you get to grips with it (Otherwise that’s a lot of chords!).

Another song where understanding the keys helped me learn the chords is Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now. It switches back and forth very slickly between F and Gm: that‘s why you sometimes have a Dm (when you’re in F) and sometimes D7 (switching to or playing in Gm). And the chord that takes you back from Gm to F at the end of the chorus is a masterpiece — you could call it Bb11 I guess.
(Not key related, but there’s another nice feature in Don’t Stop Me Now, which is the way the intro / outro is a contracted version of the verse & chorus. And the verse is a nice 5-bar pattern. All in all a very clever song.)

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
One is "Oh Well, OK" by Elliott Smith; instead of going up, it goes down a whole step at the 1:30 mark...

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
Not a key change, but always thought this throw away had some great chord changes in it, especially from the chorus back to the verse.

John Frets

Tele-Meister
Faithless Love. This one doesn’t really change keys. It just suggests a change in tonal center a couple of times (with a ii-V of the key a minor 3rd up followed by a return to the I of the original key). This starts at the beginning of the bridge. Very subtle. It happens around 1:35. The song was written by J.D. Souther, who also co-wrote New Kid in Town.