Your favorite songs with neat key changes?

kent1113

TDPRI Member
George Harrison's Beware of Darkness. It's the second chord of the verse: First a G7 (that's a flat seventh) and then a G#m7 which spins the whole thing to the key of E. It's been done by others, notable Todd Rundgrens' Love in Action chorus. Always sounds so unique.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I wrote this one that has a lot of modulations in it. It was weird the way it fell together, I wrote the melody sitting at the piano and just followed it with the chords.

It's from a concept album so the lyrics will be meaningless out of context.

fendrguitplayr

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer

This rock classic already has one of the greatest choruses ever, and the only way to make it even more epic was to chuck in a key change.

A key change that has made us lose our voices at countless karaoke and '80s cheese nights ever since.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I didn't really anticipate the large number of Beatles submissions, but it speaks volumes to the huge songwriting talent of the band. And its individual members, for that matter.

Also, perhaps the thread title should have read " key and/or chord changes. "

Everyone seems to know what I meant.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
There are quite a good number that I like. A Cottage For Sale by Sammy Fain, A Garden In The Rain, If I Didn’t Care. The list goes on and on. Many of those great old songs from the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s and in the Great American Songbook modulated to different keys and back again. Much more interesting to play and listen to than three or four chord songs.

timbgtr

Tele-Meister
With some trepidation …
The minor third key change for the sax solo in “Hungry Heart”, then back down for the rest of the song.
The half step key change coming out of the middle eight in “I Got You Babe”.