Your favorite songs with neat key changes?

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Not exactly "neat" key changes - but unusual "butt-joint" key changes:

The HEE-HAW version of "I Never Picked Cotton" sung and played by Roy Clark. IIRC, solo.

The way he did it HAD NO CHORD CHANGES, only key changes.

Other people's versions I find on YouTube they throw in a mild I-IV-I. However:

IIRC Roy's version on HEE-HAW went thru the verse in E (and only E!) then up a 1/2 step and go thru the next verse in F, following verse in F#
(maybe up to G then - I ferget how many verses haha) then back down F#, back to F, back to E.

In other words, if you had one of those rolling capos and knew ONLY the basic E chord, you could play "I Never Picked Cotton" ... "but my Daddy did" ... etc. btw Lots of reality in that song. One chord and the truth. Those rows look awful long, like miles long.

OK. This isn't a "neat" key change either...however...at 3:30 JB calls out for a key change from F to D. Three 1/2-steps = always a cool key change. ime :) btw the audio is good, and the concert visual is good, but they don't synchronize after a bit

Last edited:

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Not exactly "neat" key changes - but unusual "butt-joint" key changes:

The HEE-HAW version of "I Never Picked Cotton" sung and played by Roy Clark. IIRC, solo.

The way he did it HAD NO CHORD CHANGES, only key changes.

Other people's versions I find on YouTube they throw in a mild I-IV-I. However:

IIRC Roy's version on HEE-HAW went thru the verse in E (and only E!) then up a 1/2 step and go thru the next verse in F, following verse in F#
(maybe up to G then - I ferget how many verses haha) then back down F#, back to F, back to E.

In other words, if you had one of those rolling capos and knew ONLY the basic E chord, you could play "I Never Picked Cotton" ... "but my Daddy did" ... etc. btw Lots of reality in that song. One chord and the truth. Those rows look awful long, like miles long.

OK. This isn't a "neat" key change either...however...at 3:30 JB calls out for a key change from F to D. Three 1/2-steps = always a cool key change. ime :) btw the audio is good, and the concert visual is good, but they don't synchronize after a bit

roy was a monster player..really liked him

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A few really well-crafted Eagles songs come to mind.

" Already Gone" the whole song is G/D/C
until that vocal Chorus outro, which changes key, to C/G/F

And " New Kid in Town" - I don't even know what's happening here, but there's a great key change during that 'middle 8' bridge> key change into that last verse/chorus
Beautiful song