Your Favorite Rewinders?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dmarcus30, Jul 11, 2013.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

My 67 Tele bridge pickup rusted out and had to be rewound. I found a dizzying number of winders who would rewind it but many of them seemed to charge a lot.
    Based on his previous relationship with Glendale and my own research, I settled on Jerry Amalfitano after speaking with him. He had all the time in the world for me and he really knows Tele tone.
    He rewound it after pressing out the bowed flatwork and it literally sounds better than it did stock.

For $35! Lightning fast turnaround, too.

Anybody have similar stories about getting rewinds done? Any nightmare experiences?

2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

David Plummer at Zhangliqun rewound a P-90 for me which is silly,actually.I use everything he does (tele,strat,buckers,90s...)

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Don Mare knows his Teles better than most and I've always been impressed by the extreme level of detail he goes to in winding pickups. The guy really cares about what he's doing and what he's sending out into the world.

4. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

I agree that Don is amazing, but he recently told me that he doesn't do rewinds.

5. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

:oops: rewinding;:oops:
    .....was about to get backed up close to a year here, this happened as the brand new builds took the lead,
    so I was forced to shut down any rewinding services, this happened 3 or 4 years ago.
    .... Tom Brantley (Southport NC) is a rewinder that I fully recommend, all his contact info, is on my site. Look Under (Rewinding/ Repairs)
    ..... he even repairs old Hershey Bar Strat0tone pickups!, the ones with no top bobbin! the guy is amazing!

www.donmare.com Rewind/Repair link is located at the bottom left of the home page

6. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

There aren't many people on the planet that know more about Teles than Seymour, and he still does rewinds in the custom shop for about $65 a pop.

7. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

lindy fralin is also good.

I believe it has also been said Seymour if so inclined can find and fix a short deep in the coil too !!! and then rewind it back the way it was and has taken more strat and tele style pickups apart than just about anyone. Like Tom Holmes has taken apart more paf's and 59 humbuckers than anyone.

also if mr mare endorses someone I think that would be a good choice as I think don is a #1 go to guy and would not stake his reputation on just anyone.

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know if Vandzant Sr still rewinds pickups, but he took the time years ago to help me build a great 4 pup strat. Picked up the bobbins from me and delivered it to the music store I worked at. He even had some great ideas and helped me wire it up , and refused to take any extra money for the help. Said he just wanted to hear it finished. They were fantastic!

10. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

W. L. Van Zandt passed away in 1997.

11. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I've only had two pups rewound....a humbucker that Dave Plummer (Zhangliqun) did for me and a tele bridge pup Don Mare rewound.

As far as Dave goes, my sentiments echo refins above. Dave NAILED it from the tonal description I gave him. Every pickup of Daves I've had hte pleasure to use has been stellar.

Don also went above and beyond with the tele bridge pickup I sent him. Along with Zangs Paul Bunyan, the best tele bridge pup (for my taste) I've heard.

Some years ago, I had the pleasure of being in a guitar shop when a fella came in to pickup his sweet 60's tele. His dad had passed away and left the son his tele. The bridge pup was dead, so he brought it in the store. Store owner sent the pickup to Jason Lollar for rewind. Anyway, neither the tele owner or store manager played, so I was asked to demo it. Man alive....that was a sweet sounding pickup.

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

think about this - understanding that the cost of a built bobbin is but a tiny fraction of a pup's price tag - far Far FAR less for pup manufacturers who purchase components in lots of thousands or tens of thousands - there is lots more labor involved in rewinding a bobbin than winding one up brandy new.

13. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

his nephew

JD is still around and winds a great pickup.

On a side not, W.L. knew his stuff and was a great guy.

14. jasyr

jasyr TDPRI Member

Zhangliqun

15. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

I'll second the good report on Jerry Amalfitano. I had a dead CS Nocaster bridge pickup and had him rewind it to around 8K with 42 PE wire. He did a great job--fantastic quality and quick service. And the price is very reasonable as well. The pickup in question is now installed in my MIM Esquire, where it replaced a SD Broadcaster (another fine pickup) that was a bit edgy and lacked low end. The Amalfitano rewind is fuller in the lows and mids and seems to sound good with all my amps. Highly recommended!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.