1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your favorite reverb type and pedal - Poll included

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DaphneBlue, Dec 11, 2019.

Your favorite reverb type

1. Spring

57 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Plate

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Hall

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Room

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Ambience

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Shimmer

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Dark

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, I put mine in front of any amp I play through. My reissue was stolen last year but I am negotiating on a '64 right now, no reissue.

DaphneBlue and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

I voted spring and my most used reverb pedal would be the EHX Cathedral.
    My only amp with wonderful reverb is my 1965 Gibson RVT-20 Minuteman.
    It really has a dark drippy sound that none of my pedals can recreate

DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I voted Spring but I sometimes need other styles, plate or longer more ambient ones...
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the MXR Reverb. It's small, powerful and versatile.
    3 pots, very simple to find a good sound, no rack tweaking but studio approved quality.
    I usually don't like shimmer but the PAD mode is very musical.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I rarely use reverb. In fact, for the first fifteen years of my “playing life,” I turned on the reverb effect less than ten times, and then it was only because somebody demanded reverb on a song...same thing with delay/echo.

Now, when the song calls for it I’ll gladly turn on the reverb on my amp (63-reissue Vibroverb), but I don’t generally do it right off...

But that ^ is my favorite reverb.

4pickupguy and DaphneBlue like this.
  5. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

None of my amps have reverb.* Usually it isn't needed for live work unless the venue is fully carpeted and sound absorbent. When I do use reverb, I like very subtle settings so that you can't really hear distinct reverberations but when it's turned off the guitar just doesn't sound as good.

The cheap Biyang Tri-Verb sounds nice, but I recently got a used Hermida version 3, which is a big step up. Sounds warm and smooth and just plain gorgeous. The Biyang is a bit bright in comparison. I often add a touch of analogue delay to thicken things up. Again using very subtle settings.

*Actually I do own one amp with spring reverb - a 1980s Fender Sidekick Reverb 30 - but I've only recently bought it and it hasn't been delivered yet.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  6. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I only have one reverb pedal, the TC Hall of Fame, and my favorite of its models is the hall reverb. If I had a different pedal or a good reverb amp, I might have a different answer.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Spring reverb, but there's a time and a place for Hall and Plate. And the pedal: EHX Oceans 11

DaphneBlue likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Anything with a decent "Hall" algorithm will give me anything I want.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm loving the Source Audio Collider. Some serious algorithms in this box. I'd love it even without the excellent delay side.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  10. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

A super drippy Spring reverb is my most favorite reverb....I have 4 amps with built in spring reverb tanks in them and each amps reverb sounds different from the next. I also have an EHX Oceans 11 pedal that sounds pretty darn good but is another flavor of spring. The last few weeks I've been running 2-3 amps at a time to try to really tune into each amps different reverb character and also to try to get my Ocean11 to recreate each amps reverb tone.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The spring reverb in my Fender amp.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  12. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

None of my amps have on board reverb, the spring and plate reverbs in my Strymon Flint do everything I need....

RJ

DaphneBlue likes this.
  13. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

I have a Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb. There are no bad settings on it. Not an ambient pedal, but for great plate - hall sounds, it gets the job done really well.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I love reverb. The long delay spring tank in my amp is all I need.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  15. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

Strymon Flint

DaphneBlue likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Spring is my favorite for sure.

Current favorite is the Fender Tre-Verb. My main amp has no built in reverb. I don't think I will buy another nice tube amp without it having at a minimum a real spring tank, and possibly having a real Tremolo circuit built in as Tremolo what I voted as my favorite/most used modulation when the poll about that came up last time.

I have the Digitech Polara as well.. it's Spring is very nice too but it's definitely different and somehow synthetic in the way it responds.

Had the Oceans 11 as well.. it acts like the 63 external Fender tank. The Tre-Verb model of that is better IMO. But you need to really want splashy reverb to use that, so it's weird to me EHX put that in the Oceans 11. Overall I don't like the Oceans 11 though. On the Tre-Verb I prefer the '65 model which is I think a model of the Deluxe Reverb internal spring tank. It's more appropriate across a wider range of reverb levels IMO.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  17. Stephens

Stephens Tele-Meister

Either spring or plate does it for me. I’m super happy with my MXR Reverb. Everything I need in a reverb pedal.

18. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I wish I still had my twch 21 Boost RVB. It was a bit of a one trick pony. No presets and tricky to dial in. But the shimmer was very spring~like. Also, having the boost at the end of the signal chain was very useful!

19. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

Have a Neunaber immerse with a whole bunch of settings...but I just leave it on "Wet" with light modulation, dark tone, and like 50% mix. Have a reverb knob on my blues jr...never even bothered to turn it past 0. Seems to work for nicely for a gentle verb. :)

20. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

surfybear reverb ftw

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.