Your Favorite Piano Part?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Feb 7, 2019.

1. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Chopin - Nocturne in E-Flat Major

2. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The Associates "Party Fears Two." And that voice, too, wow. One of my Top 3 favorite songs, the others being Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" and Guaraldi's "Linus And Lucy," all stellar piano bits.

I managed to turn the piano part into a guitar solo for one of my songs.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. r_o_b_s_o_n

r_o_b_s_o_n TDPRI Member

I can't believe Bill Evans only gets one mention in this list?!

I'll add two more, both from Sunday at the Village Vanguard...

First - Alice in Wonderland... how absolutely beautiful and delicately he plays the opening melody...

Second - Gloria's Step... the man just cuts right through flesh and bone with ebony and ivory to tap the very essence of being.

Pretty much all of Sunday at the Village Vanguard deserves to be on the list. Bill Evans, you simply can not argue that he was one of the finest pianists ever.

4. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Bob James.

5. ELnono

ELnono TDPRI Member

Like others already mentioned : Feelin' alright, Chopin, Dave Brubeck...

I love Gonzales' Solo piano albums.

Little Richard's "Slippin & Slidin" : the piano just adds that low mids to the mix that changes how I vibrate...

Lately, I've been listening a lot to the Jim Jones Revue.
    In "High Horse" the little bridge part at 2:12 makes my head move

One of the best rock'n'roll I've seen live, these guys could rock a stage. The piano was plugged to a freaking Orange OR50 ! Sounded killer.
    Look up Henry Herbert for some nice boogie woogie playing.

6. Outstanding Bill

Outstanding Bill TDPRI Member

Two pieces spring immediately to mind: Mozart's D minor piano concerto (though TBH the most moving passages are not the piano-only parts), and the Benny Goodman/Earl Wild version of Rhapsody in Blue. Then Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock.

Then after a minute I remembered Ravel's piano concerto in G major. In my view one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the world. (The sound quality of Spotify's copy of the Martha Argerich/Berliner Philharmoniker/Claudio Abbado version doesn't do it justice, sadly, so I'll have to dig out my turntable).

But nothing has sprung to mind from my usual rock genre... Maybe I don't think of the piano in that way?

Great question btw. Look forward to reading other people's answers once I've posted this.

koen likes this.
  7. gooman

gooman TDPRI Member

I always loved Steven Tylers piano part on kings and queens song off draw the line album

8. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I dunno if this would count but.....

I love the piano intro (the little descending notes) that Glen D. Hardin plays on Elvis's version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".....

9. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Lots of jazz (Oscar Peterson anyone?) and classical, but just on the road to rock and roll I'd submit

Roy Bittan's organ/piano piece to open Dire Straits Tunnel of Love (from Making Movies) is so evocative
    and
    David Sancious' music box interlude between Incident on 57th Street / Rosalita on The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle.

Both are kind of perfect. In fact, speaking of Sancious and Bittan, song for song I feel the pianos on most of Springsteen's stuff are pretty unforgettable.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.