Your Favorite Piano Part?

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Intro, solo, outro, accompanying throughout-the-song part--whatever you like. Always interesting to me to see what people who exclusively or primarily play one instrument like in/about another instrument's usages.

Not sure if there's any meaning or pattern here, but mine (all referring to the original/album versions), FWIW, are

1) Layla. That sudden shift to and looooong outro of the piano-centric part gives me the goosebumps every time. So much poignant peace, or at least resignation's melancholy near-graces, there.

2) Wild Horses. Kinda a Duke Ellington approach. Minimal plinks here and there, a little fill at a line's end like a memory-lingering gesture, full chords at key/punchier moments, resonating all the more because of it. ("Angie" takes the same thing a biiiiit too far, and is washed out anyway by those over-lush strings, when I'm not in the mood for 'em.)

3) Waiting on a Friend. Them British boys know a thing or two about how sweetly lace-like the pye-anna can be, (even) when the drums and guitars are snapping and chiming.

4) Let It Be. Whoo-whee, those rich chords are like church windows.

5) Baby, It's You (Shirelle's original) Love when a piano is used as the primary bass notes. The echoey tack-hammer tones here are great. Fit the song's reverbed melodrama really well. (And offset that mid-song roller-rink-organ-with-a-sinus-problem solo.)

Just listing, from here onward:

6) Something in the Night, Racing in the Street

7) Ever Since I Put Your Picture in a Frame

8) High-Flyin' Bird

9) Lyin' Eyes (sorry, Dude!)

10) Not Feelin' It Anymore

11) Against the Wind

12) Like a Rolling Stone, Sign on the Window, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, We Better Talk this Over, You're a Big Girl Now, Dignity, Queen Jane Approximately, Jokerman, I'll Keep It with Mine

13) Good Things (Kathleen Edwards)

14) Bridge Over Troubled Water

You?

Attachments

• 2019-piano-part-rock.jpg
    2019-piano-part-rock.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 29

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

I used to know how to link directly to a spot in a "video" but that's not working for me right now.

It's how Horace Silver starts his second chorus (about 5:56) with the phrases that end in short trills. Now that I think about it, I should probably try to transcribe this for guitar. Couldn't hurt, probably better for me than thinking about effects pedals or whether I need a bass amp.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I like the little piano lick in the last bridge of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

Right after the line "Molly lets the children lend a hand", which by the way Paul sang incorrectly and then followed with "Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face" :lol:.

It's only ten notes by my count, but like so many countless parts, as happens so often in Beatles music, it never fails to give me chills. It's so very simple and so well played by John Lennon.

The entire song makes me happy, and has done so for forty-plus years.