Your Favorite Hybrid Picker....

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
That would go way back to the very early 60's. Nokie Edwards of the Ventures snuck in just enough modified finger picking to throw me off. He was followed by Jerry McGee in the early 70's, and then Stewart Smith in the 80's.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I don't even know who's a hybrid picker, even though I certainly am. That's assuming thumb picks and bare fingers don't count. Love Nokie and Jerry, though.

If thumb-pickers do count, then Chet, Merle, and Paul Pigat are at the top of my list.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I wish i could hybrid pick. I started fingerpicking and got fairly good at that then started playing pick style not long after and stuck with that for electric. But somehow i just never put them together and many years later started watching guys who do and kicking myself or not learning that early on. It feels so un natural to me now that if i were to try and learn today at my age i'd die from old age before i ever got good at it. Probably my biggest regret as a player. One of my favs is greg koch.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Jerry reed, oh wait he was a thumb pickler ?
Johnny Hiland, Brent Mason.
I will have to think a bit for that one.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I love Redd, Bill K, and JB! I thought of Danny G, but figured he kinda slips in and out of it, and thought he might not qualify. There are tons of other players I love that may or may not be hybrid pickers. I'll let you guys tell me who's who.

I have no idea when I started hybrid picking, btw. It wasn't a conscious decision. Long ago, someone pointed to my right hand and asked what I was doing. I honestly replied, "I don't know." It just happened.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I'm more into blues, and can't say I seek out hybrid pickers, but Josh Smith has some very tasty hybrid picking sections in his solos. I'll have to check out Steve Piticco. Thanks!

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I love hybrid picking, and there are lot of different types/styles, but I don't gravitate toward any particular player(s).

UPtele

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Maybe a little unconventional but Junior Brown was the first guy I ever noticed

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
Saw Nokie Edwards decades ago at a dance hall in Richland, WA.
He used a thumb pick and as far as I could tell, all four fingers. Incredible player.

James Burton and Marty Stuart are my favorite hybrid pickers.